Yter Flexum Acoustic Panel

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Does anyone use these interesting acoustic panels from Yter?

How do they compare to SMT V-Wings?

Flexum.jpg

From the Yter website:

Ambient friendly acoustical enhancer.

Flexum improves your listening pleasure by an optimal redistribution of reflections.

The wavetrap geometry nature of Flexum cancels negative sonic signatures in architectural spaces.

A sculpture for Music, a sculpture of Music.... The Flexum "equalizes" when properly located in the room the frequency response balance, in a natural way, avoiding the "dead" sound of most of the usual room treatments. The inspiration of the acoustic performance of the Flexum comes from the acoustics of the Arcadia Theatres in the Area of Venice, wich have excellent acoustics despite not having any "visible" means of obtaining this except the artful use of wood...

Experimenting with the correct placement of the Flexum is a must, the ear being the last judge for the best location.

http://www.laboratorium-yter.com/en/soluzione.html

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
You mean these? I thought I recognized those from earlier today! ;)

Gryphon System!.jpeg

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Yes, Flexums are in that listening room.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Mark Seaton

WBF Technical Expert (Speaker & Acoustics)
May 21, 2010
Chicago, IL
www.seatonsound.net
I'm sure it might do *something* to change the sound bouncing around, but I don't see anything suggesting an ability for significant diffusion or other desired acoustic attributes. The curved face will scatter a very limited bandwidth, and there may be some wider admittance of sound through the slots, but they appear to narrow to present more than a somewhat lossy surface. Maybe there's something more interesting going on in the middle chambers, but their references to inspiration suggest they are just mathematically related chamber sizes to trap and re-radiate sound.

They look rather cool, and I'm sure can be used to change sound by creating a unique reflector at some places, but I'm highly skeptical of these qualifying as a functional acoustic diffusor or absorber.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, Mark.

My friend will be using them at the first reflection points. We will see what he thinks.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Could the gray vertical slab in the middle be a thick piece of metal?

https://www.gzhifi.com/zy/gallery.php?id=635&img=2612

https://review.u-audio.com.tw/reviewdetail.asp?reviewid=350

https://www.audionet.com.tw/thread-6419-1-1.html

More imagery here:
https://rewire.co.jp/webshop/2019/08/13/laboratorium-flexum-ラボラトリウム-フレクシウム-音響パネル-ア/

MTB Vince

May 11, 2019
Dundas, ON Canada
All I see is a modified "poly" (poly-cylindrical) diffuser with some non-functional slots cut in it to create visual interest. The slots aren't sized or arranged properly to add any other sort of diffusion to the mix. For example had the manufacturer spaced the slots properly and added 2-4" of absorptive panel behind, you would have had a 1D binary diffuser/absorber combined with a poly. I could have respected that. This thing is more artsy sculpture than useful acoustic treatment.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
All I see is a modified "poly" (poly-cylindrical) diffuser with some non-functional slots cut in it to create visual interest. The slots aren't sized or arranged properly to add any other sort of diffusion to the mix. For example had the manufacturer spaced the slots properly and added 2-4" of absorptive panel behind, you would have had a 1D binary diffuser/absorber combined with a poly. I could have respected that. This thing is more artsy sculpture than useful acoustic treatment.
It is an open back, so it's not a A Helmholtz resonator or Helmholtz oscillator.

However, the slots and strips of wood are square in section, so it is a ban pass filter of some kind, and also like peg board that induces a time delay with additional diffraction on the back side.

1. Curved shape diffuses and reflects in convex/radial pattern.

2. Panels absorb a little energy through mass of wood.

3. Panels vibrate and re-radiate to surrounding air at different frequency than original.

4. Mostly it's the slots ricocheting energy via depth, and the smaller panel in front seems to line up with the larger panel behind making the depth of the slot longer when perpendicular.

I'd feel better about possible absorption if I saw some acoustic wool/felt or a sheet of MLV behind it, so as it stands it's a diffuser only - and a pretty one.

I did find some interesting stuff while trying to find the right words to use and or find examples.

Difforber

Abfuser (Bastoni Panel)

As far as the slots doing "nothing" I have to disagree, they do something just not maybe that great of thing, everything does something.

Think of it similar to a slotted wood ceiling or grille, but without the acoustic filler that broadens the frequency range.

Examples:

Armstrong - wood ceilings and grilles
https://www.armstrongceilings.com/commercial/en-us/commercial-ceilings-walls/wood-ceilings.html#bbbh={"selectedItem":{"name":"browse","itemIndex":null}}

Sound Absorption (NRC) Up to 0.90

The example above based on the installation PDF is just wood planks and slots, no acoustic felt.

Click on DATA PAGE and download the top PDF for acoustic information in link below.

https://www.armstrongceilings.com/c...ngs-walls/woodworks-grille-ceiling-tiles.html

I don't know what the Yter panels originally posted cost, but one may wish to consider an entire slotted wood ceiling or wall as a competitor if cost are similar.

Last edited:

eds60

Oct 17, 2017
Reactions: kach22i

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing