‘Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker’ Expected To Be A Box Office Bonanza

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
20191219_225445.jpg

? https://www.forbes.com/sites/dawnchmielewski/2019/12/19/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-expected-to-reap-box-office-bonanza/

Last edited:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
0F8150F3-5C25-4F68-9B3C-E1B4D9FF5C88.jpeg

No way in hell I’m giving them money. They’ve trashed it all. And this is the movie that has to make money for them to break even I believe. Sure they sold over 4B, but they’ve spent a good billion on production etc.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
You are free to put your money anywhere it makes you happy in life.
Movies are like high end audio manufacturers and dealers and designers (filmmakers, music score composers, actors); you put your money where it counts...grows.

* That pic above is disgusting. For the Star Wars fans it's like . . . a nightmare in a galaxy far away. Thank you for your positive participation.

** Adam Driver (Kylo Ren) I bet you wish you could have his bank account ...
Did you read the billions of dollars Disney is making with that franchise investment?
The future of their shareholders and of their children is assured and secured (retirement funds) for the next century and beyond.

Tip: Buy Disney shares for your kids and give them the very best education by sending them to the very best schools and universities. It'll payoff manyfolds in many ways...may the force be with you.

Last edited:

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
I'm going to see that film tomorrow night. The Emporer is always good for an (evil) laugh :D

Reactions: NorthStar

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Estimate for yesterday Thursday is $40 million. So $200 million (domestic) is not out of the loop for this weekend. It sure did affect other movies playing @ the theaters yesterday...their numbers certainly dropped significantly. And I bet the same today and all weekend long.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Just came back, and tell you what, this one's by far the best of the three.
After the utter waste of time that was Episode 8, this one really did it for me.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I thought it was brilliant, and with great symbolism (e.g. Luke lifting the X-wing fighter, among others)

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . .

Tip: Buy Disney shares for your kids and give them the very best education by sending them to the very best schools and universities. It'll payoff manyfolds in many ways...may the force be with you.

Are you buying DIS shares here, or is this just a tip for others?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Are you buying DIS shares here, or is this just a tip for others?

Buy low and hold on for the long term. It's a good stock to own for a solid retirement fund portfolio plan. I not only recommend to you, but to all your friends and family too.
I have investments in Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar, Disney.

But why am I replying when you already know.

I hope it doesn't cross the politics borderline; it's good economics.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/03/if-you-put-1000-in-disney-10-years-ago-heres-what-youd-have-now.html

* And don't short Tesla ...
https://markets.businessinsider.com...n-record-stock-price-rally-2019-12-1028780116

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron Resnick

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
just got back from 'Rise' at the local small town Theater. not the greatest sound and screen there, better at my home. will see it in better theaters before i get the 4k disc at home.

liked it pretty good, references and themes from the series were nicely integrated. enjoyed the satisfying ending. i'm a huge fan. looking forward to playing all 9 episodes at home in the not too distant future.

Reactions: Bodhi and NorthStar

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Is there another movie that continued from one generation to another? (Rocky maybe?). Star Wars franchise is just amazing. Reading these movie threads also triggers my curiosity if movie going is part of the American culture. From what I have seen here there seem to be a lot of American over the age of 50 still going out to movie theatre even when movies are available so easily at home. I don't see people my age and above going out to movie in Bangkok.

etunes

Jan 8, 2012
Virginia Beach
Taking the family today.

https://www.si.edu/theaters/airbus

I love Star Wars . I watched the first one when I was eleven. It made me feel so many great things and it ushered in a new generation of film.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
my daughter was born in 1975, my son in 1977, the year the first episode came out 'Star Wars Episode IV; A New Hope'. as a family we watched all those first three as my kids grew up. i recall watching 'Empire Strikes Back' on the first weekend it came out as a family when we were on vacation. my Son had a Millennium Falcon toy he liked a lot. it was the best time of my life, i'll never forget it. so it was like the 60's rock of my youth, it got locked into my personal culture. i'm no movie expert, i want to be entertained. i loved Star Trek on TV in the early 60's too.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Mid to late 60s, puh-lease Mike. Geeks gotta be geeky.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
It's doing good so far away...estimated $90 million yesterday (Thursday & Friday combined).
Sure the movie critics are less generous with this one than the previous two, but film critics are not always right.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Is there another movie that continued from one generation to another? (Rocky maybe?). Star Wars franchise is just amazing. Reading these movie threads also triggers my curiosity if movie going is part of the American culture. From what I have seen here there seem to be a lot of American over the age of 50 still going out to movie theatre even when movies are available so easily at home. I don't see people my age and above going out to movie in Bangkok.

Tang, in Bangkok people around the age of 50 and above what's their most popular pastime in the evenings after supper?

Movies are certainly a big part of the culture in North America...like football, basketball and baseball. Lots of balls in America.
Canadians like hockey, tennis and golf; pucks and balls.

Music and films? Dancing ballrooms, dark rooms.
STAR WARS...the dark side versus the light side (sci-fi is big in America...in general).

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I just spent 30 minutes rummaging through old Blu-Rays looking for the two previous movies in this final trilogy and finally found them. I need a better organized collection. Anyway, will start watching them tonight to get back up to speed.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
my daughter was born in 1975, my son in 1977, the year the first episode came out 'Star Wars Episode IV; A New Hope'. as a family we watched all those first three as my kids grew up. i recall watching 'Empire Strikes Back' on the first weekend it came out as a family when we were on vacation. my Son had a Millennium Falcon toy he liked a lot. it was the best time of my life, i'll never forget it. so it was like the 60's rock of my youth, it got locked into my personal culture. i'm no movie expert, i want to be entertained. i loved Star Trek on TV in the early 60's too.
Dear Mike,

I am really looking forward to take my kids out to movie as you did. I used to go out to movie a lot in younger years then my lifestyle changed after got married 9 years ago. With kids growing up I want to enjoy my time with them. I am now focusing on my health so that I will be in a good shape to take part in their activity growing up. You mentioned quite a few times about your son helping you in audio and also showed us his adventures exploring the world. It reflected such a good bond you have with your kids. A good role model for me. Anyway this is Bob's movie thread. I am steering off course.

Kind regards,
Tang

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I just spent 30 minutes rummaging through old Blu-Rays looking for the two previous movies in this final trilogy and finally found them. I need a better organized collection. Anyway, will start watching them tonight to get back up to speed.

:) https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Wars_films

Nine main Star Wars films, including this latest one which just started in theaters.
One animated one and two anthology ones.

* Put them in the Star Wars Blu-ray (& 4K/3D) movie section, if you have enough shelves in your film library room. But yeah I know what you mean when running out of space ...
It's similar to musicophiles with large LP's collections.

** Some films and music recordings I have to go in the basement.
I bet I'm not alone. For all my Star Wars films on Blu-ray no difficulty for me.
But it's not the same for other more obscure films.
The 4K Blu-rays are all together, and same for the 3D ones as they pretty much take precedence over the regular Blu-rays. DVDs forget it, the vast majority (95%) are all in the basement.
Multiple BR copies (oldest) are also in the basement.
VHS tapes? I just don't remember which boxes ... :D But there are Star Wars ones ...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing