? What Jazz Music Selection are you Listening to in the Now? | Analog, Digital ??????

BMCG

VIP/Donor
Oct 1, 2016
United Kingdom
Miles-Davis-Quintet-Relaxin-Album-Cover-web-optimised-820.jpg

Reactions: Sunra and APP

ChasFreeland

Aug 16, 2019
Thanks for posting this. New singer for me. I liked 'Nameless' so much that I just bought the LP, 45 RPM limited edition, from Discogs. Will buy other titles as I see them available.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Ambrose Akinmusire is building greater depth and complexity in his continuing body of work.

Back in 2012 playing in Paris in the Archie Shepp Attica Blues Big Band Akinmusire’s searing trumpet announces his arrival In “Cry of my people”

Here is an insight into the clarity of his developing musical vision as expressed in the album “The imagined Savior is far easier to paint”

His latest album “On the tender spot of every calloused moment” is for me among his best, his trumpet poignantly expressing his voice both in music and as a discourse on the nature of repression in contemporary black life is clear and strong.

Jazz in 2020 is proving to be just as alive and relevant musically and as rich in social commentary as ever. Ambrose Akinmusire is soaring right up there along with it.

Last edited:

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida

Reactions: Sunra

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Live at Abbey Road, brilliant new music from four very talented musicians. Check out their individual albums too.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Live at Abbey Road, brilliant new music from four very talented musicians. Check out their individual albums too.
Barry, this track was the biggest joy visiting you yesterday, and as big a reason as any to get into streaming. See if you can line up Rated X from Get Up With It/Miles Davis, and see what these boys would sound like with a dozen Expressos before they hit the studio Lol. And then to calm down after, from the same album "He Loved Him Madly". I can feel the lineage from that album thru these guys. The future of music is safe.

Totally loving this, and the Extreme server did them proud.

Last edited:

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Marc,

The UK jazz scene is very hot right now, and has been for the past few years. Some stuff veers too much towards (c)rap and hip-hop, which I don't like, but the more spiritual/modal minded stuff is amazing.
Check out these artists, all available to stream and on vinyl as well.

Ruby Rushton
Yussef Kamaal (Dayes played here)
Greg Foat
Nat Birchall
Matthew Halsall
Yazz Ahmed
Shabaka and the Ancestors (first album is good, 2nd not so much)
Tumi Mogorosi

All these guys made albums that would not be out of place in any "best of 70s jazz" list, like the Miles albums.

Reactions: Blue58

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Alex, you should check out Mahogany Frog, my undisputed fave current period electric jazz/prog fusion crossover band.
I will deffo check out your list. Once my income stabilises post Covid, streaming is going to happen. I need to ensure this stuff doesn't pass me by much longer.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Oh I know Mahogany Frog, have all the albums, 4-5 I think. Good stuff. Plenty more modern stuff out there that you're missing out, Marc :)

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
Stumbled onto Ant Law's latest 2020 album on Qobuz this evening then ventured down the rabbit hole to find the jazz guitar Berkelee grad's stellar 2018 album as well. Very nice material for a young talent.

Reactions: Blue58

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Marc,

The UK jazz scene is very hot right now, and has been for the past few years. Some stuff veers too much towards (c)rap and hip-hop, which I don't like, but the more spiritual/modal minded stuff is amazing.
Check out these artists, all available to stream and on vinyl as well.

Ruby Rushton
Yussef Kamaal (Dayes played here)
Greg Foat
Nat Birchall
Matthew Halsall
Yazz Ahmed
Shabaka and the Ancestors (first album is good, 2nd not so much)
Tumi Mogorosi

All these guys made albums that would not be out of place in any "best of 70s jazz" list, like the Miles albums.

add two more new guitarists that make it look so easy. Both have great albums out to stream.

Tom Misch with Yussef Dayes

Mansur Brown

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
And......
Alpha Mist

Kamaal Williams

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing