? What Jazz Music Selection are you Listening to in the Now? | Analog, Digital ??????

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
Abdullah Ibrahim - The Balance

Reactions: Sunra

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Ambrose Akinmusire is building greater depth and complexity in his continuing body of work.

Back in 2012 playing in Paris in the Archie Shepp Attica Blues Big Band Akinmusire’s searing trumpet announces his arrival In “Cry of my people”

Here is an insight into the clarity of his developing musical vision as expressed in the album “The imagined Savior is far easier to paint”

His latest album “On the tender spot of every calloused moment” is for me among his best, his trumpet poignantly expressing his voice both in music and as a discourse on the nature of repression in contemporary black life is clear and strong.

Jazz in 2020 is proving to be just as alive and relevant musically and as rich in social commentary as ever. Ambrose Akinmusire is soaring right up there along with it.

I ordered that album “On the tender spot of every calloused moment” and am now listening. I'm at track 7. OMG, such exciting music! Great find and recommendation, Graham, thanks!

Great recording too, in tone and dynamics. A bit bass heavy, but sounds perfect with my subs off.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I ordered that album “On the tender spot of every calloused moment” and am now listening. I'm at track 7. OMG, such exciting music! Great find and recommendation, Graham, thanks!

Great recording too, in tone and dynamics. A bit bass heavy, but sounds perfect with my subs off.
That’s great Al, I really enjoy all of Ambrose Akinmusire’s music. Jazz is so alive still and engaging and there’s so much to love from the earliest recorded jazz all the way through.

Reactions: Al M.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Reactions: the sound of Tao

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
1597715947517.jpeg This is a 2 CD set a friend picked up in Japan upon its release. No missing tracks, not a vinyl rip and from Finesse Records. I have the original on vinyl and the CD sounds damn good. The making of this release may be where the master was lost. Who knows? Glad I gave both versions.

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
A classic!

20200916_214332~2.jpg

Reactions: audio.bill

Migo

Aug 10, 2013
Superb review in
HIFI NEWS AND RECORD REVIEW
of
Gidon Nunes Vas
EMBRACE ME
link: Gidon Nunes Vas EMBRACE ME

......... Definitely an audiophile recording......
the result is spectacular, with a warm, generous ambience you can almost reach out and touch each instrument......

And Denise Jannah's vocals on four of the tracks are simply gorgeous. The end result is a gentle, measured and totally appealing set.
A.E

superb new Sound Liaison recording; Gidon Nunes Vaz Quartet , ''Embrace Me'' feat. Denise Jannah

"There’s a lot of quality musicianship on this recording; it’s very clear. So very rare to hear a group of young people pick up on the vibes (of these standards) and be true to the music. God bless you…...Keep doin what you’re doin.”
- Don Sebesky

Jazz is a living tradition. This recording shows yet again how the younger generation gets inspired by what came before them and the older generation gets revitalized by the energy and fire of the younger generation.
Gidon has handpicked a band of seasoned young musicians. These young men are among the top talents of the european scene. In Spite of their relative young age they already have an impressive track record: Jazz Orchestra of the Concertgebouw, Phillip Harper, Frank McComb, Cory Henry, Ignacio Berroa, Jesse van Ruller, Ellis Marsalis, Herlin Riley, Ack van Rooyen, Randy Brecker, Steve Masakowski, Wess 'Warmdaddy' Anderson, Gregory Porter, Johnny Vidacovich, Nicholas Payton, Peter Bernstein …… are a few of the masters where they have done their apprenticeship.

And talking about masters, Gidon hit the jackpot when he found Blue Note recording star Denise Jannah willing to add her magic to the date. Denise is in top form here, clearly inspired by her young colleagues, she delivers a pointed yet relaxed rendition of these classic songs.

This recording of Don Sebesky’s 'Yesterday’s Dreams' is in a sense a premiere. It is the first time the composition is being heard with lyrics. Joan Gannij wrote the lyrics and Mr. Sebesky gave her his blessing for telling a good story.

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Oscar, Joe & Stephane : my favorites!

20200927_081900~2.jpg

Reactions: APP and marty

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing