? 2020 Oscars Scoreboard ?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
? https://www.goldderby.com/article/2...hman-once-upon-a-time-sag-awards-nominations/

This is the season, the race to the Oscars with nominations and awards raining from everywhere, some gaining momentum, some solidifying their foundations, others fading away, some being ignored, ...all in between.
What I like early in the game is that you can make your own predictions until January 13 (from that source above).

So far from the full leaderboard (boxes ticked):

From the top six film leaders, I've yet to see Jojo Rabbit (satirical black comedy) and Parasite (South Korean black comedy thriller).

Jojo Rabbit (6 boxes ticked)
- Rotten Tomatoes = 79%
- Metacritic = 58%
- MRQE = 73%

Parasite (5 boxes ticked)
- Rotten Tomatoes = 99%
- Metacritic = 96%
- MRQE = 94%

There's still plenty of time to the Oscars, February 9, 2020 - to see more films, to make our own predictions, to play ...
And because two highly rated films so far are comedies that I did not see, there's one I did see (position #10) with Eddie Murphy, Dolemite Is My Name...I thought it was a great comeback for Eddie; I enjoyed it and in my book he's the King of Comedy alive today. I guess I'm just old fashion when it comes to actors with a charismatic sense of humor, highly contagious ...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I just checked; I knew that I rated Dolemite is My Name highly...90% (my own personal score).
By the way, comedies are strong this year ... Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is another one.
And what score did I give this later one? ...80%

Comedies, some we find more funny than others; there are as many various opinions as there are people on the planet...7.65 billion. We follow the most scientific ones ... ;):):D:cool:

? 2020 Oscars calendar of key dates: Academy Awards

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
• The Irishman is my favorite film of 2019 so far (only two weeks to go). It's a masterpiece, what I said when it first came up on Netflix.
It is also Quentin Tarantino's favorite film.
Guillermo del Toro Gómez called it a masterpiece ...
? https://variety.com/2019/film/awards/guillermo-del-toro-martin-scorseses-the-irishman-1203446159/

If Quentin and Guillermo both agree with me, then I am in excellent company of film connoisseurs.

• Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is my number two. It's not a masterpiece though, it's a piece of cinema art visually in several scene's compositions.

Both films offer high class entertainment.

Another film "talkedabout" a fair bunch is a foreign one from South Korea, • Parasite.
But I haven't seen it yet.

Another couple films that I need to see ...
A Hidden Life
The Lighthouse

* Films are like high end audio; some master filmmakers are above the rest ...
And it fluctuates from one year to the next, from our usual suspects ... the three Mexican amigos, Martin Scorsese, Quentin Tarantino, Pedro Almodóvar Caballero, Sam Mendes, Terrence Frederick Malick, Denis Villeneuve, ...and other similar high caliber filmmakers...in these times now.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Final list / Oscars 2020 (My Predictions)

??? 1917 = 6 Oscars ???

1. Best Picture
2. Best Director (Sam Mendes)
3. Best Cinematography (Roger Deakins)
4. Best Sound Editing
5. Best Sound Mixing
6. Best Visual Effects

???? Oscars for Best Actress, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actress and Best Supporting Actor:
Respectively ...
• Renée Zellweger (Judy)
• Joaquin Phonix (Joker)
• Laura Dern (Marriage Story)
• Brad Pitt (Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood)

• Best Adapted Screenplay: The Irishman*
Best Original Screenplay: Parasite

• Best Production Design : Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood

Best Score: Joker (Hildur Guðnadóttir)

• Best Film Editing: Ford v Ferrari

• Best Costume Design: Little Women

• Best Makeup and Hairstyling: Bombshell

• Best Animated Feature: Toy Story 4

Best Documentary Feature: American Factory

Best International Film: Parasite

• Best Song: I'm Gonna Love Me Again (Rocketman)

Total = 21 Categories ^
_____

* Out of my list (Not viewed yet):

• Best Animated Short: ..... {Hair Love}
• Best Documentary Short: ..... {Learning to Skateboard in a Warzone (If You're a Girl)}
• Best Live Action Short: ..... {Brotherhood}

Total = 24 Categories (21 + 3) ^
_____

Big Oscar Winners 2020 /// (In my book):

#1 - 1917 (6 Oscars) ??????

#2 - Parasite (2 Oscars) ??
#2 - Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (2 Oscars) ??
#2 - Joker (2 Oscars) ??

#3 - The Irishman (1 Oscar) ?
#3 - Ford v Ferrari (1 Oscar) ?
#3 - Toy Story 4 (1 Oscar) ?

Que sera sera ...

Looking forward to the winners with their acceptance speeches ... should be fun.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I'm still watching the above ^

Meanwhile for people who didn't see Joaquin Phoenix's 2020 Oscar acceptance speech last night for Best Actor in its portrayal of Joker of the same film's title ...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing