100 Recommended AAA vinyl...and why this industry is stagnant

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
You *can* get horns and piano to sound realistic on vinyl, with instantaneous dynamics. But it comes at a very expensive price.

Why? I think under $10k would be perfectlly reasonible. I guess it depends on what someone thinks is expensive.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Why? I think under $10k would be perfectlly reasonible. I guess it depends on what someone thinks is expensive.

I guess for the stated purpose of vinyl replay that $ 10k better be spent on the phono stage alone. That's not even the vinyl rig itself.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I guess for the stated purpose of vinyl replay that $ 10k better be spent on the phono stage alone. That's not even the vinyl rig itself.

Na. Although sometimes I might suggest DIY because it'll so greatly help stretch funds.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Na. Although sometimes I might suggest DIY because it'll so greatly help stretch funds.

Sure, DIY can make things much cheaper. But if the above is your answer I know where the wind blows.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Meh. I stand that non-DIY is capable. But I won't claim it'll do everything else like super bass music. It'll probably be a tube based and single driver unit speaker possibly. Anyways.

Simon Moon

Apr 24, 2015
First, thanks to Fremer for posting this up as having AAA vinyls in one place is always useful - but it is yet another reminder why the industry is still focused on aging boomers now entering their 70s.

https://www.analogplanet.com/content/100-recommended-all-analog-lp-reissues-worth-owning

I watched Fremer's vid, and enjoyed it. But yeah, it's the same old 'warhorses' that the vast majority of audiophiles are already aware of, with a few exceptions.

As far as the industry being stagnant and focused on aging boomers, I believe this perception is somewhat biased by living in the US.

I have watched quite a few YouTube vids of audiophile shows in Europe and Asia, and I tend to see many young people (including wifes) walking around.

I have also seen a couple vids of the Adelphi Audio Mall in Singapore. This is a mall that has about 50 audio stores, almost all of them carry high end equipment. Those vids also show people below age of the boomer demographic, shopping.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
(snip) Lots of great sounding releases of current music like Janel Monae, Donna Missal, St. VIncent, Paul McCartney, Steve Mason, Brad Mehldau, Blood Orange off the top of my head...
Any Blood Orange release in particular? I've listened to them on lower rez streaming but never thought to check out their vinyl ...

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Sunn O))) ?– White2. recent reissue of the 2004 album. wonderful. MAXIMUM VOLUME YIELDS MAXIMUM RESULTS :eek:

Reactions: Solypsa

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Reactions: Solypsa and jazdoc

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Sunn O))) ?– White2. recent reissue of the 2004 album. wonderful. MAXIMUM VOLUME YIELDS MAXIMUM RESULTS :eek:
Oh my veering way away from audiophile approval Love it.

I dont have any sunn 0)) on vinyl but I need to rectify that.

Reactions: XV-1

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Janelle Monae "Dirty Computer"

Reactions: XV-1

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Oh my veering way away from audiophile approval Love it.

I dont have any sunn 0)) on vinyl but I need to rectify that.

Hi Erik.

There is much much more to enjoying music than Jazz Lite and 50+ year old vinyl remasters for the 20th time ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing