1110 & 1160

naim

Mar 6, 2019
Italy
@spiritofmusic, surely, after the arrival of Focal, the strategies have changed, then maybe they're right and mine is just a nostalgic feeling.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Naim, I've had the Koda K10 pre at home, about 5 years ago. Despite some minor misgivings, it did things I've never heard from an amp before.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Oh Naim, I just meant some of the character of the Koda was a little too full for me. Could be system/room dependent. It's a stellar amp in many ways.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Hi,
I hope to write comprehensibly.
Next week I'll get a new Boulder 1160. In the coming months I'll have to think for a new preamp to be paired with this amplifier. Initially I was sure to want to buy his patner 1110, but speaking in some forums, I was advised to look in other directions,
(in their opinion the amplifier is superior to the preamp), and they advised me to consider the Robert Koda Takumi K-10
(alternatively CH Precision L1), claiming that I would have higher results than the Boulder preamp.
How do You see a Koda K-10 + Boulder 1160 combo? (or CH Precision)
My system includes a pair of PMC BB5i, a Bricasti M1SE dac (which can also be used as a preamplifier), the current preamp is a
Convergent SL1 Ultimate MKII, and a Bryston BDP-2 like digital player.
Other speakers: Rogers LS3/5a and LS5/9.

Roberto
I never heard the 1160, but I owned the 1060 , which has a similar tonal balance.
My combination with the Koda Takumi K10 (MKII, means younger than 2 years) was a very nice one. The K10 has all the benefits of a tube preamp, without being one, means, that the output impedance does fit to the needs of the Boulder amplifiers.

Your decision should include your sources and your cabling, as the K10 has only one xlr input (plus 3 RCA), the 1110 has only! XLR inputs. Depending on your personal signal sources, you cannot interchange the two preamps easily, as the demand on cabling is very different.

Reactions: infinitely baffled

naim

Mar 6, 2019
Italy
Your decision should include your sources and your cabling, as the K10 has only one xlr input (plus 3 RCA), the 1110 has only! XLR inputs. Depending on your personal signal sources

Hi shakti, to only XLR input of the K-10, I would connect in balanced mode Bricasti M1 dac (with digital player and cd transport). While to one of RCA input, I would connect a phono preamplifier that I shall buy later. Between K-10 and 1160 an XLR-XLR cable, and it seems to me that there is nothing else ...

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
Connecting RCA cables to the 1110 is not a problem. Boulder has excellent adapters -- I use a pair to connect my turntable to the 1008 phono stage.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Hi shakti, to only XLR input of the K-10, I would connect in balanced mode Bricasti M1 dac (with digital player and cd transport). While to one of RCA input, I would connect a phono preamplifier that I shall buy later. Between K-10 and 1160 an XLR-XLR cable, and it seems to me that there is nothing else ...

sounds like a perfect fit :)
you will find a German K15 in the WBF used market, might be an alternative to a new K10 :)

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Connecting RCA cables to the 1110 is not a problem. Boulder has excellent adapters -- I use a pair to connect my turntable to the 1008 phono stage.

I do use the Boulder adapter ob my Boulder 2008 Phono stage as well,
but still prefer the direct connection using XLR connectors on the phono cable. It is more precise in all matters.

naim

Mar 6, 2019
Italy
Boulder has excellent adapters

Boulder will send me a couple along with 1160, to temporarily use in unbalanced mode Convergent preamp.
But I think I'll often use Bricasti M1 direct in balanced (at least until I will buy the definitive preamp).

naim

Mar 6, 2019
Italy
you will find a German K15 in the WBF used market

I don't find used market link.
Only to take a look: :) I found K-10 already expensive...

Moreover, K-15 will sound magically, but I find it aesthetically a bit too Baroque.

Last edited:

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany

naim

Mar 6, 2019
Italy
A question:
I am preparing power cables (removing banana plugs) waiting for 1160, and I was wondering if the terminals also accept bare wires without any termination or I am forced to use spade terminals...

naim

Mar 6, 2019
Italy
I asked why I have never seen 1160 output terminals except in the picture, and I don't know if they have a central hole suitable for a cable with a large diameter, or a sufficiently wide grip to achieve optimum tightening without spades.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing