1883 A Yellowstone Prequel

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
if John was 54 in 1932 then he would be about 90 years older in Yellowstone. Perhaps that would be John's father in 1932
Perhaps his grandfather. Yellowstone seems contemporary and Kevin Costner is perhaps mid 60s. Likely they had children younger in those days out there also. I’m really enjoying 1883. A couple characters are real scene stealers. Unbelievably gorgeous scenery and lighting.

Reactions: still-one

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Perhaps his grandfather. Yellowstone seems contemporary and Kevin Costner is perhaps mid 60s. Likely they had children younger in those days out there also. I’m really enjoying 1883. A couple characters are real scene stealers. Unbelievably gorgeous scenery and lighting.
Precisely my point

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Hi, is the only way to watch this is streaming via paramount +? I watched the initial episodes on Directv. I'm thinking I have to subscribe (ugh)
Yes, It is only on the streaming Paramount +. I too wish it was on Paramount. They haven't indicated whether the other shows will be on streaming or not,

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Watched the season finale of 1883 tonight. Bravo!!!! Very moving. I look forward to the additional episodes they now plan to make but in my mind there was really no need to add to the story. We now know how the Dutton family ended in Montana and not somewhere else.

I have enjoyed Yellowstone from Episode 1 but at times I find it hard to believe some of the scenarios written into the story. There was little of that in 1883. It was a beautifully written story of "wild" west. The next chapter in the Yellowstone sage 1932 is going to have a hard time bettering 1883.

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
Elsa began her journey a virgin in a virginal white dress, and she's ending it no longer a virgin, wearing the damaged white dress. The circularity is good.

You do realize the filmmakers had Elsa change into the white dress partly to make the arrow gag (harness) work, right? It wouldn't work well in the loose fitting duster, and of course she wouldn't have been shot at all if she had been wearing her indian vest (not to mention she looked incongruous considering everyone else, including her father, was wearing several layers plus a coat). Credit to Isabel May for working half dressed in cold weather, while everyone else was bundled up.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

I would be remiss if I didn't comment on this prequel to Yellowstone.

My wife and I binged the series in 2 days and simply put this was one of the most fantastic epic historic series I have ever seen. The one that comes to mind as being every bit as great was Alex Hailey's Roots, some 50+ years ago

1883 had my wife and I glued to our seats. From the very first scene in episode one I knew this was destined to be great

I thought Tim McGraw and his wife (in real life) Faith Hill were spectacular in their roles. In fact there wasn't one weak role in the entire cast which was filled with cameo appearances of some top tier actors

And who can forget Isabel May who is one drop dead gorgeous young woman all of 21 years old. She has a great acting future ahead of her

Sam Elliott at age 77 continues to impress as this was a role perfectly made for him

This was a show we didn't want to end and the ending left us with a lump in our throats

Taylor Sheridan is riding the wave with perhaps another prequel 1932 will also be just as great and then a spinoff from Yellowstone called 6666 is coming. That is the ranch where Jimmy went to become a cowboy

We have started watching Mayor of Kingstown. we can't get enough of Taylor Sheridan

Finally @still-one, Elsa to me had all of the spunkiness of Beth Dutton whom you didn't like. Elsa had all of Beth's traits

Reactions: PeterA

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I would be remiss if I didn't comment on this prequel to Yellowstone.

My wife and I binged the series in 2 days and simply put this was one of the most fantastic epic historic series I have ever seen. The one that comes to mind as being every bit as great was Alex Hailey's Roots, some 50+ years ago

1883 had my wife and I glued to our seats. From the very first scene in episode one I knew this was destined to be great

I thought Tim McGraw and his wife (in real life) Faith Hill were spectacular in their roles. In fact there wasn't one weak role in the entire cast which was filled with cameo appearances of some top tier actors

And who can forget Isabel May who is one drop dead gorgeous young woman all of 21 years old. She has a great acting future ahead of her

Sam Elliott at age 77 continues to impress as this was a role perfectly made for him

This was a show we didn't want to end and the ending left us with a lump in our throats

Taylor Sheridan is riding the wave with perhaps another prequel 1932 will also be just as great and then a spinoff from Yellowstone called 6666 is coming. That is the ranch where Jimmy went to become a cowboy

We have started watching Mayor of Kingstown. we can't get enough of Taylor Sheridan

Finally @still-one, Elsa to me had all of the spunkiness of Beth Dutton whom you didn't like. Elsa had all of Beth's traits
Steve, as you can read from my earlier posts in this thread my wife and I agree with you 100%. The casting and performances were flawless. The way the story unfolded through the eyes of the daughter was well thought out. You are correct Isabel May owned the screen. Amaziing how good she looked in that floppy hat.

For me the difference between Elsa and Beth Dutton was that for the most part Elsa underplayed her strengths whereas Beth overacted.

I have and will continue to enjoy Yellowstone but always questioned the validity of the storylines. This past season they addressed that to some extent and I hope it stays this way. With 1883 there was little of “that’s unbelievable“.

without providing spoilers 1883 could and probably should have ended just the way it did without additional episodes. I think that once they saw how popular the series was they decided to capitalize and also give us a bit more of the origins of the Dutton Ranch

Sheridan and Paramount have a good thing going. I enjoyed Mayor of Kingstown and look forward to 6666, 1934, Land Man, Bass Reeves, Tulsa King, and Lioness. they have put some star power into those series.

I have a feeling that the characters and storylines in 1934 are going to be more like those in Yellowstone rather than 1883 A shame because 1883 is an instant classic.

The 5 year old John Dutton from 1883 will probably be the key figure in 1934 and is the future John Dutton’s grandfather.

Steve Williams

yes I agree that the 6 yo will be John's grand father

As I said 1883 was probably one of the best epic series I have ever seen. I commented that it reminded me of Roots from almost 50 years ago

FWIW 1883 was Elsa's birthday and she is 18 at the time of the series soit happened in 1901 as I see it

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Steve. are you sure about the date? I think this took place in 1883 and Elsa was probably born right at the end of the Civil War which would have put her about 18 in 1883. Also the railroad was completed in 1869 and the Oregon Trail lost its popularity in the mid- 1870’s

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Steve, just finished the series with my wife Deb. Notwithstanding my love of the western film genre, it was some of the finest storytelling I've ever seen. Great performances and amazing character development all around. Thanks so much for the recommendation!!

Reactions: Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Steve. are you sure about the date? I think this took place in 1883 and Elsa was probably born right at the end of the Civil War which would have put her about 18 in 1883. Also the railroad was completed in 1869 and the Oregon Trail lost its popularity in the mid- 1870’s
I tend to agree with you BUT there was a scene where Elsa said 1883 was when she was born but perhaps in hind sight she was stating that being on the Oregon Trail in 1883 was her birth (or coming of age)

Reactions: PeterA

Steve Williams

Reactions: gleeds

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I tend to agree with you BUT there was a scene where Elsa said 1883 was when she was born but perhaps in hind sight she was stating that being on the Oregon Trail in 1883 was her birth (or coming of age)

I think this is the correct interpretation, Steve. I remember that scene. I can't remember if it was before or after her evening with her cowboy friend. I think she just realized she was "alive" for the first time, out there in the open wilderness and discovered her true self. The riding with outstretched arms, carefree and inhaling.

Steve Williams

Steve Williams

I think this is the correct interpretation, Steve. I remember that scene. I can't remember if it was before or after her evening with her cowboy friend. I think she just realized she was "alive" for the first time, out there in the open wilderness and discovered her true self. The riding with outstretched arms, carefree and inhaling.
her riding with outstretched hands reminded me of the scene from Dances With Wolves

Steve Williams

Who owns the 6666 Ranch?​

Known as the Four Sixes Ranch or the 6666 Ranch, this massive west Texas spread has remained in the Burnett family and as part of a trust until Samuel Burnett’s great-grandaughter, Anne Windfohr Marion, died in early 2020. The property was put up for sale for $347 million, according to her will.

The Star-Telegram confirmed what had been an open secret: Taylor Sheridan is fronting a group that bought the property in December 2020. Sheridan told the Texas Spur, “The legacy of the 6666 Ranch and Miss Marion’s vision for the ranch are vital not only to the ranch itself but the rich heritage of ranching in Texas.”

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing