2015 Mercedes-Benz CLS

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
Does anyone own or owned one of these and care to share his thoughts about it? Will be looking at one next tuesday and by the look of the photo's the dealer send me, it look like it's in pristine conditon. It's 3.5 years old with only 31900 km.

Model is a 350 CDI with 265 PK and 620 Nm torque but will be tuned to 295 PK and 700 Nm in case I buy it. Has got a lot of options like AMG's sport and styling kit, AMG's 9G-Tronic speedshift transmission to name a few.

On sale because the previous owner upgraded to the latest version.

Some pics of the car;

cls1.jpg
cls2.jpg
cls3.jpg
cls4.jpg
cls5.jpg
cls6.jpg cls7.jpg

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I've driven the car many times as a loaner when I take my car in for service. They are fun to drive and I guess it depends on the dealer's ask price

It does look pristine. It has AMG options but not AMG motor etc.

FWIW I have a huge bias as my wife and I have only driven MBZ for the past 20 years

Ask your dealer if he has an AMG to bring you. Once you drive an AMG you'll understand

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
Nice to know the're fun to drive, will be doing a test drive also of course.

It's a very nice asking price already but who's paying the asking price, there's always room to negotiate isn't there. Comes also with 2 years warranty as standard and can be extended to 4 years.

I'm afraid only the AMG options will have to do for now ;).

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
My Dad has got a 2012 CLS 350 CDi 4Matic. AMG Options aswell.
150k km. No issues. Bought with 60k km in 2016.

Like the car. Love the diesel punch at low rpm's. Very well put together.

I would recommend staying away form a chip-tune because the chargecooler is already at its limit.

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
I know my tuner gives 1 year warranty on engine parts that need to be upgraded/replaced for certain tuning stages but that's not the case right now. There's only stage 1 chip-tuning available for this engine so I don't know if there will be any warranty on that, I doubt it but I'll ask.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Love the styling of the CLS. Like Steve, I've driven one as a loaner for 4 days. I'm biased as well and would get an AMG, but I'd have to bow out of a CDI car. I see it's a CPO, which is good. Would never buy a used car without a warranty. I know Renntech will give you a warranty. Think Weistech will too. Make sure when/if you get the mods, Mercedes won't void the warranty you have!

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
Yes Mercedes will void the warranty if the chip-tuning is done by a third party tuner, that I know for sure come to think of it. Didn't think of that before so chip-tuning is a no go then for the first 2 years. Thx for reminding me.

Mercedes them selves don't offer in house chip-tuning over here like they do in the US due to all sorts of stupid regulations.

Does Mercedes even sell CDI's in the US? Over here 99% of them on the road are diesels.

Last edited:

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Yes Mercedes will void the warranty if the chip-tuning is done by a third party tuner, that I know for sure come to think of it. Didn't think of that before so chip-tuning is a no go then for the first 2 years. Thx for reminding me.

Mercedes them selves don't offer in house chip-tuning over here like they do in the US due to all sorts of stupid regulations.

Does Mercedes even sell CDI's in the US? Over here 99% of them on the road are diesels.
Very few CDI in the US, they have only recently been importable. Here its the exact opposite, 99% gas.

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
I did drive it several times when my Merc got serviced. It is a great car though rather large and heavy. You will need to activate the Sport mode to get some feeling of sensible acceleration. It is strictly a four seater and a sedan can sometimes be impractical if you don’t have a second car like a SUV or an estate.

As we live in the same country, I guess that you are aware that you will need to inform the insurance company that the engine got tuned up. A close friend who is an insurance broker has told me some horror stories that will make you think twice.

You might have seen the video posted by the stupid kid who was driving his father’s A7 on the Brussels ring at a rather unreasonable speed. The police was able to identify the car, seized it and discovered that the engine got tuned up. Not only, the kid got some serious trouble with the prosecutor but the insurance company has immediately broken the contract. This is considered as a fraud. The driver gets blacklisted and the information is shared among all insurance companies.

https://www.lalibre.be/regions/brux...-lui-coute-tres-cher-5c1a123fcd70e3d2f755561e

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
Was it a 350 CDI you got when yours was beeing serviced?

Yes I know that about the insurance and you also need to go to the vehicle inspection center again after tuning. But like I said, I won't be doing the tuning just right now, I'll wait until the warranty from Mercedes has expired.

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
Yes it was. Already some time ago. To be clear, with 265 PK and 620 Nm of torque, you have plenty opportunities to lose your driving license but this is definitely not a sports car.

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
Nice vid here, not of the actual car in question but one with the same look, wheels and engine;

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I love the 350 TDi Engine. It is what's in my GL (now called GLS). It just pulls and pulls even in a GL which is extremely heavy and large. I'm sure you will enjoy the CLS. You'll probably load it with fuel only once a month too. Great mileage. Wish I could say the same about my AMG LOL

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
Nice to hear you like this engine. Heard exactly the same about it, it just pulls and pulls. Not really surprising with a whopping 620 Nm of torque! If it does that with a big and heavy rectangular box like your GL it should do even better with a CLS. I'm not sure but I think the tank capacity is like 93 liter or or so in the CLS so like you said, will do great mileage with very little pump action.

Just heard from the dealer that the price has been reduced due to the upcoming Brussels Motor Show!

jdza

May 3, 2010
We own a CLS350 Shooting Brake and have done since new in 2012. At the same time I also bought a ML500. If there is one thing I regret is that I did not buy a CLS 500 and ML 350. The CLS of that era is a fantastic car with a bespoke quality that is exceptional for long distance cruising The air suspension is perfect and to me far superior to that fitted to the ML. Ours is beautifully fitted with matt wood interior finish and the AMG fittings. i am not wild about the V 6 petrol engine. Although it has plenty of oomph there is a lack of top end power. THE 4.4 twin turbo V8 that was in the ML is truly one of the world's great engines. I still pine for my Jaguar V12 and its turbine like qualities. The MB V8 was very close. As it is the CLS comes closest in feel,,ride and stance to the series 3 XJ6 Jaguars that I so loved.. A CLS 500 to me would have been a XJ12 reincarnated without all the troubles.

I have the 350 diesel in my G Class. It has awesome torque and will probably crawl up a vertical wall. Its 190kW can also propel the bread bin at a fair pace but really that in something as refined as a CLS? Not for me ,sorry.

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
Nice to hear you like this engine. Heard exactly the same about it, it just pulls and pulls. Not really surprising with a whopping 620 Nm of torque! If it does that with a big and heavy rectangular box like your GL it should do even better with a CLS. I'm not sure but I think the tank capacity is like 93 liter or or so in the CLS so like you said, will do great mileage with very little pump action.

Just heard from the dealer that the price has been reduced due to the upcoming Brussels Motor Show!
The CLS has a range of 900km driving 140 kph on the autobahn.
Yes the engine is an absolute marvel. 7L per 100km and pushes like crazy.
Especially from 50 kph to 150kph...

And you hear not all to much in the cabin, exept a heavy growl (which I quite like) when under full throttle.

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
We own a CLS350 Shooting Brake and have done since new in 2012. At the same time I also bought a ML500. If there is one thing I regret is that I did not buy a CLS 500 and ML 350. The CLS of that era is a fantastic car with a bespoke quality that is exceptional for long distance cruising The air suspension is perfect and to me far superior to that fitted to the ML. Ours is beautifully fitted with matt wood interior finish and the AMG fittings. i am not wild about the V 6 petrol engine. Although it has plenty of oomph there is a lack of top end power. THE 4.4 twin turbo V8 that was in the ML is truly one of the world's great engines. I still pine for my Jaguar V12 and its turbine like qualities. The MB V8 was very close. As it is the CLS comes closest in feel,,ride and stance to the series 3 XJ6 Jaguars that I so loved.. A CLS 500 to me would have been a XJ12 reincarnated without all the troubles.

I have the 350 diesel in my G Class. It has awesome torque and will probably crawl up a vertical wall. Its 190kW can also propel the bread bin at a fair pace but really that in something as refined as a CLS? Not for me ,sorry.

Let me get this straight, the exact same engine performs better in your G class than the one in your shooting brake although a G class weighs 600 kg more?

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
The CLS has a range of 900km driving 140 kph on the autobahn.
Yes the engine is an absolute marvel. 7L per 100km and pushes like crazy.
Especially from 50 kph to 150kph...

And you hear not all to much in the cabin, exept a heavy growl (which I quite like) when under full throttle.

Great info, thx!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing