2017 BMW M6 Coupe

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Who has one of these?

Would you buy it again?

Which other cars did you consider, and why did you prefer the M6?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
It's better looking than the M5 of its generation IMO. At least the 4 door version is. I could never really dig the 2 door 6 series car's proportions.

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
Who has one of these?

Would you buy it again?

Which other cars did you consider, and why did you prefer the M6?

Grand Coupe or normal coupe ? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr8IFVmJl1I)

The engine is a beast in this car. But for the price I would buy a slightly used S65 AMG Coupe...

The best 6series ever in my opinion was the V10 M6. The only downside is that it is suggested to change the rod bearings at 50 to 70k miles.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Grand Coupe or normal coupe ? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr8IFVmJl1I)

The engine is a beast in this car. But for the price I would buy a slightly used S65 AMG Coupe...

The best 6series ever in my opinion was the V10 M6. The only downside is that it is suggested to change the rod bearings at 50 to 70k miles.

The 12 cylinder Mercedes is being discontinued

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I was referring to the 2 door coupe.

(I think the marketing department nomenclature of “Gran Coupe” to make a four-door sedan sound cooler is stupid and is literally incorrect in English.)

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
I was referring to the 2 door coupe.

(I think the marketing department nomenclature of “Gran Coupe” to make a four-door sedan sound cooler is stupid and is literally incorrect in English.)

OK. I like the M6 Grand Coupe, because in Germany a M5 looks quite common because so many 5series drive around...

Yes I have my problems with the nomenclature as well. Calling it a GT would be more appropriate.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
You and Tinka would look great in a DB9 now with an AMG sourced engine Ron. Hehehehe. Take pics in the Beverly Hills Dealership's Bond Vault while you're at it :D

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Even better in a DB11 :). It actually looks even more stunning in real life.
And why not pick up some shares when they are released too.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
You and Tinka would look great in a DB9 now with an AMG sourced engine Ron.

I think the DB11 and on have the AMG sourced engine not the DB9. And Lady Tinka would look best in the DB11 Roadster driving alone :D.

Kind regards,
Tang

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My mistake. I was thinking of the Vantage. :)

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
You and Tinka would look great in a DB9 now with an AMG sourced engine Ron. Hehehehe. Take pics in the Beverly Hills Dealership's Bond Vault while you're at it :D

Thank you, Jack, but for that we have the Bellini, my beloved 360 convertible.

My SL550 is my daily driver. And now I have to leave to drive to Steve!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Man, I miss you guys!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
2017 is the last model year of the BMW M6 two-door coupe. (The 2018 M6 is a four-door car, stupidly named a "gran coupe").

Today I test drove a 2016 BMW M6 with 13,000 miles, a one owner car, bought by the used car dealer in Santa Monica at auction. There is 12 months of BMW factory warranty left on the car. The car looks virtually brand new.

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

image3.jpg

The hood on the M6 feels same length as the SL550, but looking back it feels a lot longer -- there is a lot more car behind you.

560hp is on tap, and, once the car is rolling, it feels like a lot of power. The automatic paddle shifter shifts in, I estimate, one-quarter the time it takes my 2009 SL550 to shift with its automatic paddle shifter.

The suspension seems very tight and the engine is amazing! What the M6 really feels to me is a very, very high performance small sports car, but around which someone bolted a big metal body.

One thing I would not have guessed is that the beltline of the M6 is high and the windows are not very big and it feels like there’s not much window glass around you — a little bit like the Charger and the Camaro must look like from the inside. On the other hand the rear quarter visibility was better than I expected.

The SL feels like an ironman suit. The M6 may only be a little bit bigger in each dimension than the SL, but, overall, it feels quite a bit bigger. The M6 has a very spacious front passenger compartment (which I like because I am such a tall, beefy guy! :confused:) Despite the spacious front compartment, with the M6's smaller glass surface area and so, for me, worse all around visibility, the M6 gave me kind of closed-in feeling versus the outside environment, compared to the SL.

The trunk is bigger than the trunk in the SL. I would have thought the rear seats would fold down to expand the trunk area, but the seats are fixed.

Overall, the M6 is an absolutely amazing car!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Do you ever get a hankering for something with high visibility? It can be rather relaxing to drive something that isnt a coup low to the ground with little windows.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Is a black on black M6 something you really want Ron or it's the price that's tempting you?

david

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I, personally, don’t happen to care for black interiors or black exteriors. The car actually has a red interior, which looks very nice.

I was just curious to see up close and to test drive a 6 series coupe. Two-seat SL is still my favorite car for me.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
@Ron. You already have sport cars. Get a Rangie for daily.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, Tang. What is a Rangie?

(I love my SL for a daily driver. It is the perfect car for me.)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing