2018 is about over. What did you do in Audio?

Ultrafast69

VIP/Donor
Aug 27, 2018
Seattle, WA
www.audio-ultra.com
I honestly can’t explain where 2018 went but it was not without it’s emotional highs and some lows, perhaps they call that life...

Anyway, the biggest addition was my Brinkmann Nyquist MKII DAC, followed by a couple more HRS M3X platforms a set of Stillpoints Ultra 6’s under my Aurender N10.

Next year, maybe I’ll reconfigure my room pulling gear recessed into custom built cabinets between the speakers out to the rear side, if so, I’ll ease into Analog.

Ultrafast69

VIP/Donor
Aug 27, 2018
Seattle, WA
www.audio-ultra.com
Nice, although I’m not sure anyone actually ‘eases into analog’, LOL.:)

Yes, there is no easing in any of this

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
2018 was a mental hifi overhaul chez Moi:

>> New room
>> New Vyger TTs
>> New Mayer amps
>> Several pairs of new speakers (horns, Quads, Wharfedales) and multiple sets of vintage drivers
>> A truck load of LPs

What did I learn above all?
1. Software is absolutely key - specifically the right analogue pressings.
2. Good SETs + efficiency = magic :) for me.

Lol.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
^ Absolutely awesome moves on all of the above Bill... keep up the good work!

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

mulveling

Jul 6, 2017
Most impactful additions:
VAC Renaissance SE phono stage - simply wonderful and sublime in every way

Commissioned build of a Stax T2 headphone amplifier - makes all other headphone amps sound broken

Had my old SOTA Star III in Koa wood rebuilt to a new SOTA Nova V. Beautiful deck.

Got a Fidelity Research FR64S (w/ VTA bass) mounted and tweaked to the perfect match for my Koetsu Coralstone. It’ll be replacing my Graham Phantom, finally.

Lots of other smaller additions, but these are the most memorable.

Reactions: MJB

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
1st 6 months way different than the 2nd 6 months......

Jan-June

1. scratched my SET/tube amp itch (Lamm ML3's and VAC Statement 450's in room for 3 months). they are now gone. have that idea now in my tailights.
2. -4- Taiko Tana/Herzan anti-resonance platforms---design finalized and installed
3. added 3rd Studer A-820 reel to reel deck.
4. changed mind on AS-2000 acquisition. i'm good going forward with the NVS tt.

2nd 6 months........

June-Dec

just listening.......seems i''m finished with system change thoughts......more listening.

2019 anticipated focus.....enjoy the system and listen.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
My year started off with the Aries Cerat Kassandra acquisition. That totally transformed my system in the upward direction. Audio Note DAC 5 sold.
Spent the next few months talking to other AC owners and dealers.

January. Sold my Stax 009s and my DIY KGSShv Carbon electrostatic amplifierFebruary.
Bought the Audeze LCD2-C and the LCD4.

February. Rejoined Tidal.

May. Went to Munich hi-end and hooked up with the Aries Cerat gang, owners of AC gear and some AC dealers. Met Stavros, lots of fun had.

June. Bought a new headphone amplifier, the Violectric V281.
Bought a custom Norne Audio all silver balanced headphone cable.

October. Ordered the Aries Cerat Genus SET integrated. Expecting it to land any day now.
Bought a spare HDPlex LPS.

November. Talked to AC & Stavros and became the distributor for AC products for Spain and Portugal. Set up our new website.

December. Room acoustics, fitted a cork wall to the wall facing the speakers.
Ordered lots of spare Seimens E280Fs and RCA 8183 tubes. Bought some more music.
Ordered some silver wire to make some DIY speaker cables.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Early this year I got the Aries Cerat Genus. Great addition to our AC lineup.

Bought a few NBS Omega Extreme power cables

Got a new Savar Systems equipment rack.

We got the new Dynamikks Monitor 10SL for our October show.

Finally, for Christmas, my wife got me a Kiseki Blue cartridge.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Short answer is too much. :)

Wilson Alexia 2s, DirectStream DAC and Memory Player, Grado PS1000e headphones...and way too many records and SACDs. :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
What an intense year it has been...in a good way but intense. Fortunately, able to listen late in the evenings while working. And in 4Q, decided if I could swing a sale of the Colosseum, I would upgrade to Mephisto...a work in progress...;) Interestingly, the system has been incredibly stable since probably going back as far as 2011 with occasional in-brand upgrades through that time.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
2018 : Mostly playing with vinyl fronts and de-tweaked. Had some laugh making mistakes.
2019 : Will do amps and play with more carts. Buy good vinyls. Have some laugh making mistakes.

Tang

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
1st trimester of 2018 - selling the XLF's :eek:
2nd trimester of 2018 - weeping the XLF's :(
3rd trimester of 2018 arrival of a new pair of XLF's :cool:
4th trimester of 2018 - assembling several systems around the XLF's o_O

1st trimester of 2019 - choosing what will stay and what will leave ... ;)

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
1. Two different sets of custom made repro and stabiliser cards for the Studer A80 RC tape deck
2. Stacore rack and associated platforms
3. Full overhaul of my SS power amplifiers - a pair of Krell Evolution One
4. Addition of a second power amp to my system - the Tenor Audio 175S
5. New power and interconnect cables from Ansuz and Silent Projects for the tape deck and the second power amp
5. Miscellaneous : a new MC cartridge, some more Entreq boxes and ancillaries, a better rectifier tube for the phono stage and new jumper cables for the loudspeakers
6. About 100 LPs, 65 tapes, 20 high resolution PCM files and just one physical SACD

2019 will be much quieter on the gear front: some further improvements to the tape deck currently ongoing and potentially a new tonearm.

I might start exploring the option of getting my « ultimate » loudspeakers but this would certainly not take place before 2020 or even later.

One thing for sure: I will continue expanding my collection of tapes but will slow down the purchases of LPs.

Last edited:

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
My year started off with the Aries Cerat Kassandra acquisition. That totally transformed my system in the upward direction. Audio Note DAC 5 sold.
Spent the next few months talking to other AC owners and dealers.

January. Sold my Stax 009s and my DIY KGSShv Carbon electrostatic amplifierFebruary.
Bought the Audeze LCD2-C and the LCD4.

February. Rejoined Tidal.

May. Went to Munich hi-end and hooked up with the Aries Cerat gang, owners of AC gear and some AC dealers. Met Stavros, lots of fun had.

June. Bought a new headphone amplifier, the Violectric V281.
Bought a custom Norne Audio all silver balanced headphone cable.

October. Ordered the Aries Cerat Genus SET integrated. Expecting it to land any day now.
Bought a spare HDPlex LPS.

November. Talked to AC & Stavros and became the distributor for AC products for Spain and Portugal. Set up our new website.

December. Room acoustics, fitted a cork wall to the wall facing the speakers.
Ordered lots of spare Seimens E280Fs and RCA 8183 tubes. Bought some more music.
Ordered some silver wire to make some DIY speaker cables.

Mulveling! Is that you? You can list your fab headphone system, don't be shy. Good to see you on here, and note you joined way back, I never knew.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Also was a year of change here. After years of relative stability with the Maggie 20.7s in a dedicated room and more recently Harbeth 30.1s down in an open plan living room the home that I designed and built and much loved was sold and I moved in the first half of 2018. Moved the 20.7s and all the existing gear but sold the 30.1s.

So since the second half of 2018 I have joyfully taken delivery of;
* a new room
* Harbeth 40.2s
* Pureaudioproject Trio Horns (surprise)
* Line Magnetic LM508IA SET (another surprise)
* Microzotl MZ2
* Shunyata Triton and Typhon
* Chord Hugo M Scaler
* cables and external PSUs for the extra gear to keep the power and loom consistent

The plan for 2019 includes;
* upgrading the crossovers for the PAP horns to see how far I can take the fab horns
* new 805 and 300B valves for the equally fab LM508IA SET
* rolling NOS valves for the Microzotl MZ2
* new preamp TBA
* 2 dedicated power circuits and lines for the new room
* then ultimately deciding which of these in the panels versus boxes versus horns showdown will stay the course long term as my system goes forward, the 20.7s a perennial favourite but its a close race as the 40.2s and PAP horns both begin to settle in and hit their straps... virtually every other week a new fave emerges... the one thing that I have found so far... there is much to learn and more music to enjoy!

Happy New Year to all... keep the tunes spinning and the stories unfolding in 2019.

Last edited:

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
There were no changes to my audio system in 2018. It's been a messy year, but i'm aiming to get back on track next year and finish my system 'for now'. I have a number of upgrades in the pipeline incl: Magico SPods, Furutech NCF Boosters, Akiko Audio tuning sticks, and the big one - Vitus SIA-030. I'm also considering a change in cable loom, though that needs a bit more research & actual ear time.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
1) Got in touch with Wisnon and this had a chain effect on my Audio and personal life as i hope I made a life long friend. I can say the same for Christoph and you guys made my year really great! Thanks a lot for that!
2) Wisnon introduced me to LampizatOr and with his help i got Bal GG1 with VC and started collecting tubes like lunatic :)
3) Found out that balanced GG is not my cup of tea so i got GG2.5 SE and I LOVE it! Tube collecting madness continued...
4) Ordered LDMS server which I’ll get in Q1 19
5) Swapped most of my cables with FTA loom and I can not be happier
6) Leaning to point no.1 - I met many guys via Chris and Norm (in person and in matrix) with whom I love communicating about HiFi and life and this is part of this sport i love the most!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing