2020 Oscar Winners

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Highlights for me.....

The opening act was fabulous

I thought all of the commercials were terrific

No emcees was even better other than Steve Martin and Chris Rock at the beginning of the show

Parasite was truly special in winning 4 of the major awards including Best Director, Best International Picture and Best Picture as well as adaptive screen play. Kudos to Bong Joon Ho

The Irishman was not only once again shut out from Oscars but so also being denied any of the major critics awards

Seeing Elton John perform his song and win the Oscar with Bernie Taupin...a 53 year relationship

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
No major surprises other than possibly Parasite winning Best Picture. For me the Elton John win was a surprise. That along with the Randy Newman song were the weakest finalists.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I missed the boat again this year; mainly for Best Picture, and then Best Director.

In total I had 17 correct predictions and 4 misses.
But to miss the two main ones is simply unforgivable.

Congrats Parasite; a comedy/satire/horror flick about a poor family taking advantage, profiteering, manipulating a rich family. The Academy voters have made their choice and I fully respect that. It's a great South Korean flick ... not to be missed for people who haven't seen it yet.

But also watch 1917 for the awesome technical achievements in the art and science of filmmaking ... visuals and sounds.
_____

P.S. Steve; Parasite for Best Original Screenplay (not Adapted).

Last edited:

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
No major surprises other than possibly Parasite winning Best Picture. For me the Elton John win was a surprise. That along with the Randy Newman song were the weakest finalists.

Parasite cleaning up for Best Director, Best Screen Play and Best Picture is a surprise for everyone.

Reactions: Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Parasite cleaning up for Best Director, Best Screen Play and Best Picture is a surprise for everyone.
But Jeffrey not only Best Picture but so also Best International Picture something which has never been done before

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
That's right; it's the first time ever in the Academy history that a Best Foreign Language Film Oscar winner also won the Oscar for Best Picture.

Edit (small correction): Parasite is the first non-English language film to win Best Picture, ever in the entire Academy Awards' history.
Forget that it also won Best International Film, plus Best Director and Best Original Screenplay on top ...
https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/09/entertainment/oscars-2020/index.html

That it took me by surprise would be an understatement.

Last edited:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I feel like the people who made the nominee lists didn't watch very many films? Too many repeats on the lists. I haven't seen enough movies this year to say so otherwise on all of them but... eh?

Hollywood would have been banned for being in on anything for me.

Ford vs. Ferrari for sound? No. The sound was the biggest let down in the movie. I went for roaring race cars and got some kind of pussified take on that.

I want to watch Parasite.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Parasite was a surprise but a good one. I really thought they would give Best Picture to 1917 because its box office was enormous compared to Parasite (there were less than 10 people in the theater when i saw it a few weeks ago).

I liked Steve Martin and Chris Rock as well as Maya Rudolph and Kristen Wiig.
Best plastic surgery award goes to Jane Fonda in perpetuity.
They also figured out that nobody wants to give the Jean Herscholt Humanitarian award any live air time anymore! Works for me!

The difference between the acceptance speeches were also significant. Joaquin's self-indulgent political diatribe made me want to vomit. Renee Zellweger's speech about how telling the story of great actors and actresses that pre-dated her can be inspirational and uplifting was moving and unifying in a way that Phoenix' sophomoric remarks could never be. Both however deserved their wins. Why Laura Dern won is a mystery to me. Happy for Brad Pitt's win but those with sharp eyes may have seen him clearly vaping immediately before he walked into the venue after the red carpet. I couldn't believe what I saw. Somehow I doubt it was CBD or an "herbal" cigarette. Not surprisingly, the twits on Twitter went nuts.

Finally, I thought Billie Eilish's performance of "Yesterday" was pathetic. It probably caused John Lennon to turn in his grave and probably made Paul wish he could join him there after hearing her fiasco version..

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Happy that 1917 did not win best picture.

Reactions: Folsom

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Damnit Marty, you made me watch his speech. That isn't what the Oscars are about. I think they are wholly wrong to let tirades of any kind of cause go on at them. And self serving? That's an understatement.

The funny thing is I think it's fair that actors use their exposure to say things they wish. But when it's done at these events it's like they are just taking a giant rancid dump on the whole art form.

Reactions: marty

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I hope Martin Scorsese's new film he's working on this year is in Native American language (Osage Nation) ... Better chance @ the Academy Awards in 2021 (2022)

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
God, I really hate Hollywood. I just want to watch movies. I do not need Phoenix telling me what a bad person I am etc etc. Throw in any other number of "stars" like De Niro over Trump. Can you imagine if the latter had won an award for The Irishman, what we would have had to endure.

The more I hear from him, the more my respect for the dearly loved and recently departed Neil Peart deepens. His sentiment was always to improve yself and not stand still. Certainly not to self indulge as Phoenix is guilty of. And absolutely not to judge.

Reactions: gds7368

Steve Williams

I missed the boat again this year; mainly for Best Picture, and then Best Director.

In total I had 17 correct predictions and 4 misses.
But to miss the two main ones is simply unforgivable.

Congrats Parasite; a comedy/satire/horror flick about a poor family taking advantage, profiteering, manipulating a rich family. The Academy voters have made their choice and I fully respect that. It's a great South Korean flick ... not to be missed for people who haven't seen it yet.

But also watch 1917 for the awesome technical achievements in the art and science of filmmaking ... visuals and sounds.
_____

P.S. Steve; Parasite for Best Original Screenplay (not Adapted).

my mistake as I was so overwhelmed with what just happened last night

This is what makes it fun Bob as there are so many academy voters that results can never be predicted.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
They always give a Best and Worst gown. There were so many beautiful gowns IMO but only one that was really a stinker and that was Kristen Wiig's gown. I thought she looked like a red caterpillar :eek:

I thought her dress was a prop since she was giving out the costume design award.

People are calling it the lasagna dress.

Steve Williams

I thought her dress was a prop since she was giving out the costume design award.

People are calling it the lasagna dress.
any woman who would agree to wear that as a prop to the Oscars leaves me a little puzzled

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Good year for movies in my opinion and first time I have seen almost all of the movies nominated for major awards. The only one I missed was Bomshell - seems like we all knew that sad and disturbing Fox News story already. I'll rent it when it is available in the near future.

I was surprised that Parasite won so many awards but it was fun to watch the interloper win so much of the hardware. I thought it was very touching when the director, Bong Joon-ho, gave credit to Martin Scorcese for influencing his development.

Not sure which movie I'd pick as my favorite for 2019. I'm leaning towards The Two Popes at the moment.

Surprisingly, my wife said she's leaning toward Ford vs Ferarri. I went to that movie without her figuring she wouldn't have any .interest. She went to see it after the nominations came out and loved it.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
my mistake as I was so overwhelmed with what just happened last night

This is what makes it fun Bob as there are so many academy voters that results can never be predicted.

Fun is the key word Steve, you've said it; being entertained @ the movies and also @ the awards' presentation.

Everything for me went according to plan last evening (the Oscar's recipients), except only in the last few minutes when they announced the Best Director and last the Best Picture. Only then it was a big surprise to me.
So yes it was fun to see what in my true opinion is the best director and film in 2019 wasn't the average choice of the almost 9,000 Academy voters. I missed all the criteria and basics on what they consider the best in these two most important categories. I have a pretty good idea (mass appeal cultural satisfaction), so I need to readjust my movie parameters in the future.

Yes it's all fun and not really serious. Case in point...Parasite, which indeed is all about a fun movie exaggerated to the extreme in a reality world where "parasites" (viruses) are deadly and very present nowadays. So that factor might have turn the tide, influenced Academy votes.
I just didn't see coming.

It was one of the easiest years to predict the winners, except @ the last minute.
And it don't matter if you can predict all the winners when you can't predict the biggest one of them all...Best Picture and Best Director.
My percentage of failure here is complete, 100%
But I'm prepared more in 2020, on the brighter side of fun.

We all take different things from films (and music too); many people liked Parasite, others liked Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood more, others Joker, some The Irishman, me 1917 more.
It is the average of a large number of moviegoers and lovers and connoisseurs who voted that made all the fun difference for all 2019 year @ the movies. It is what it was and tomorrow we never know ...

The best film critic, the best music critic is all of us. ...And for some of the same reasons and for various different reasons. ...Mass Appeal @ the Oscars.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
"I just didn't see it coming" ... in the last few moments last night.
How truly true that comment.

Every year we learn more and more, about everything...not just the movies and the music playing.
And that makes it a whole bunch of fun entertainment.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing