2022 Academy Award Nominations

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
It is about time Jessica Chastain was rewarded for her amazing career. Her performance in "The Eyes of Tammy Faye" was great.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
It is about time Jessica Chastain was rewarded for her amazing career. Her performance in "The Eyes of Tammy Faye" was great.

I haven't seen that movie but did not like her as an actress in other roles. She has the face of someone who can act, but that aside she does nothing

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I haven't seen that movie but did not like her as an actress in other roles. She has the face of someone who can act, but that aside she does nothing

Which roles? She deserved an Oscar for her role in “Zero Dark Thirty.”

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
They have had 10 per year for several years now. Were there even 10 movies made last year let alone 10 good movies
I think they made thr time period more fluid.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Of those nominated I have only seen four. That is probably the least number were have watched in many years. I thought CODA and Belfast were deserving. Year of the Dog didn't grab me at all. West Side Story about what I expected. I'm pulling for Coda or Belfast.

HenryD

Aug 29, 2020
Hardly any of these films are Oscar-worthy (I have not seen Drive My Car nor Licorice Pizza). Some were just god-awful (Nightmare Alley). None are memorable, for sure. A sad state of affairs of the film industry :(

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Hardly any of these films are Oscar-worthy (I have not seen Drive My Car nor Licorice Pizza). Some were just god-awful (Nightmare Alley). None are memorable, for sure. A sad state of affairs of the film industry :(

I thought Power Of The Dog was excellent as was CODA, both Oscar worthy.

I am sure that the film industry has been affected by COVID like any other industry.

Reactions: Steve Williams

Bartolo

Jan 31, 2019
CODA was well done. Last night we watched the new Macbeth. Really excellent; Denzel W. was wonderful (so was Frances McDormand). The cinematography was over-the-top fabulous.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You seem to dislike all movies. Ha.

I just think quality of TV serials is much higher now, while movies have become poorer. The only good movies I remember from recent years - Knives Out, just before pandemic started, then the Irishman was brilliant and was directly on TV. The asteroid one recently was fun.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I just think quality of TV serials is much higher now, while movies have become poorer. The only good movies I remember from recent years - Knives Out, just before pandemic started, then the Irishman was brilliant and was directly on TV. The asteroid one recently was fun.
I agree however I think the film industry has morphed into streaming their films to TV because of the pandemic, which of course has minimized the number of movies made for the silver screen

The other thing that has fueled the industry is the ability of the player(s) in the lead role(s) to become executive producer(s) and get their money by selling the rights to Netflix, Prime, Hulu etc

It seems that Nicole Kidman has been Executive producer in every one of her roles in the past 2 years at least

Reactions: KeithR

Steve Williams

The cable industry has also been a factor in the allowance of R rated without edit movies and finally some of the very best film I've seen has been on the small screen. We can all name a dozen super series which kept us captivated for years A film typically tells its story in 105 to 135 minutes not in 10 -12 one hour weekly series x 10 weeks x 6-8 years. Thats a gig any action would crave especially if you are the executive producer. I bet 8 out of 10 films we all watch have their lead actor as executive producer

Steve Williams

It’s officially up to 10.

but the asteroid movie from all accounts isn’t close to best picture - couldn’t break 50 on meta!
when you say asteroid movie, I am assuming "Don't Look Up".

If so Agree with Keith. It was a fun tongue in cheek movie that had an inevitable end and that ending basically is what saved the film

Good from far but far from good IMO. Yet my son who is in the film industry and many readers here absolutely loved the movie so again these are just our opinions

Reactions: KeithR

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Guess I need to start watching movies and TV again. I did buy the high def Blue Ray for Dune, but need to watch it. Maybe when the sequel is released.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Of those nominated I have only seen four. That is probably the least number were have watched in many years. I thought CODA and Belfast were deserving. Year of the Dog didn't grab me at all. West Side Story about what I expected. I'm pulling for Coda or Belfast.
Well I am now up to 5 of the 10. We watched Nightmare Alley last evening. Not bad. A bit long at 2 1/2 hours. Like Year of the Dog, probably not Oscar worthy.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing