WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Will Smith B____h slapped Chris Rock
Now that's theater.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
You gotta luv the Luvvies...they're SO emotional. The slapping, the tears.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I was just glad Jessica Chastain was finally recognized for all great performances she delivered.

CODA getting best picture and best leading actor was great as well.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
But was the slap incident real or staged - the true question!

It looked totally staged to me. I tuned in for 15 minutes before going to bed and happened to see Will Smith slap Chris rock. Chris did not flinch as Will Smith came up to him and then he almost fell over. The whole thing looked fake to me. It got people talking about the Oscars the next day though. Just my opinion.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
It was definitely not staged. If it was there would have been no reason for Smith to apologize for his behavior.

There is a lot of unsettling stuff with Smith’s and Pickett’s relationship so he is overly sensitive to any discussion about it.

Reactions: rubinken

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
What I found interesting was that Will was laughing at Chris Rock’s joke until he looked over at his wife who wasn’t happy and then he got up out of his seat

I thought his acceptance speech was most disingenuous and he was pandering to the crowd

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I liked the tributes to some of the older movies like “White Men Can’t Jump,” “Juno,” “Pulp Fiction,” and “The Godfather.” They should always do that.

Reactions: K3RMIT

Steve Williams

IMO the annual academy awards has become a farce. The good old days of the silver screen are gone and a whole new generation of supposed actors have assumed the top roles. The number of viewers is at an all time low. People are tired of the crap that comes out of the mouths these supposed actors.
The golden age of cinema is gone and the way we watch movies is no longer at a theater but by streaming. Last nights show was a total embarrassment to the industry The only redemption was Codas big win as well as jessica Chastain. Short of that it was nothing more than a free for all

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
IMO the annual academy awards has become a farce. The good old days of the silver screen are gone and a whole new generation of supposed actors have assumed the top roles. The number of viewers is at an all time low. People are tired of the crap that comes out of the mouths these supposed actors.
The golden age of cinema is gone and the way we watch movies is no longer at a theater but by streaming. Last nights show was a total embarrassment to the industry The only redemption was Codas big win as well as jessica Chastain. ShOrr if that it was nothing more than a free for all

Steve, all these movies were made during the bowels of COVID where film making was difficult and people were not going to the theater and instead were watching movies at home. I don’t expect that to be permanent.

As far as the actors are concerned, they have always used the stage as an opportunity to make comments about issues that are important to them. I don’t see them being any less talented.

Regarding viewership, the older generation still watches. The younger generation probably doesn’t have as much interest which will cause the numbers to decrease over time. After all, you and I watched it!

Steve Williams

It's not the same David

Lets start with the emcees for the past 5-6 years or more. Last night was appalling although Amy Schumer had her moments

It's not the same . I really believe that the pandemic has permanently changed the way people will view the movies. Streaming has taken over and IMO is very real and is here to stay. CODA is a perfect example from Apple.

The awards were always about the movies. Without getting political, I hate the inflection of politics and the woke generation into the awards and never in a million years would I have ever thought an incident such as that of Will Smith would have happened. It was an absolute disgrace and was merely an aside in the reporting of the show last night on every news channel. Closest thing I can remember is a naked guy who ran across the stage when David Niven was giving a speech and a protest by Marlon Brando in the treatment of American Indians. Lately however the Oscars have become a platform for every Tom, Dick and Harry to press their political views

IMO the Academy Awards presentation have become an albatross and is but a shadow of former days

Steve Williams

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
It's not the same David

Lets start with the emcees for the past 5-6 years or more. Last night was appalling although Amy Schumer had her moments

It's not the same . I really believe that the pandemic has permanently changed the way people will view the movies. Streaming has taken over and IMO is very real and is here to stay. CODA is a perfect example from Apple.

The awards were always about the movies. Without getting political, I hate the inflection of politics and the woke generation into the awards and never in a million years would I have ever thought an incident such as that of Will Smith would have happened. It was an absolute disgrace and was merely an aside in the reporting of the show last night on every news channel. Closest thing I can remember is a naked guy who ran across the stage when David Niven was giving a speech and a protest by Marlon Brando in the treatment of American Indians. Lately however the Oscars have become a platform for every Tom, Dick and Harry to press their political views

IMO the Academy Awards presentation have become an albatross and is but a shadow of former days

Honestly, I was surprised how little politics were discussed. The mention of the Ukraine situation was obviously expected.

Politics have always been a part of the awards.

It isn’t the same but I wouldn’t expect it to be. People change. The delivery of content changes. Things evolve.

I thought Regina King was very funny last night. Some of her stuff was adlibed.

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
I can’t watch most of them
wealthy people that somehow equates to them being smart. the good ones are mostly nuts in one disorder or another
the not so good ones if smart shut up
an example the rock loved his movies and shows
but when he came out and said who he wanted for next pres I’m sorry I dislike him now. It’s not who he picked it’s why , I have a firm belief they mostly all have views but pick where they are in show or movie que.
the Oscar’s should not be political especially now as our country and the globe is torn apart. The ultra rich are the last ones I want to know what they think no matter what side there on. our world is very much in flux due to globalist. so the wok are just an example of idiots having a hard platform to use. Who gives them this power well the elite globalist do.
just saying we have little to say and very little to do.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
It was very real Chris Rock declined to file charges
Chris violated the rules. You can make fun of a woman's style choice not her illness. Imagine if her hair had fallen out due to chemotherapy.
Will had his one punch customary for disrespect of ones spouse.
Will could ne prosecuted. The decision belongs to the prosecutor.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing