27 Best Audiophile Power Cables /// The Bible of Audio Bacon Kables ...

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Amazing anyone could have the fortitude to persevere through 27 cable auditions. I see the Zenwave PSR-14 was considered a technical achievement. So it looks like my own assessment was in line with this author's. Anyone with a budget in its range (or beyond) really ought to demo the PSR-14 for free. It's the real deal.

Reactions: NorthStar

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
It mostly took 27 months to organize that compilation and listen and analyse, perhaps less ...
It is a vast assortment, we don't see that very often in our passionate audio business.
...For every taste, age group, best in category, budget and all.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Amazing anyone could have the fortitude to persevere through 27 cable auditions. I see the Zenwave PSR-14 was considered a technical achievement. So it looks like my own assessment was in line with this author's. Anyone with a budget in its range (or beyond) really ought to demo the PSR-14 for free. It's the real deal.

Thanks!

My PSR-14 won "Best In Class" over a ton of other worthy competitors. I'm super happy! :)

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Oh, I had not noticed the Best In Class award. Congrats, Dave! You beat out some well known brands, Shunyata, Synergistic Research, Sablon, Audience (including the new expensive Front Row), Audioquest, etc, etc. Well done!

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Oh, I had not noticed the Best In Class award. Congrats, Dave! You beat out some well known brands, Shunyata, Synergistic Research, Sablon, Audience (including the new expensive Front Row), Audioquest, etc, etc. Well done!

Yeah, I can't believe it! Best review ever! ;)

Joe P

May 11, 2019
Audience frontRow powerChord for which the editor, Jay Luong, says “So forget about snap, crackle, and pop. Embrace the bass. Step outside the room and believe there’s someone in there. This is the most solid, seductive, and tangible sounding cable in the market – and that’s what you’re paying for. Anything that involves the midrange and below (brass, organs, drums, etc) – those instruments will materialize in front of you.”

zonto

Apr 13, 2017
To be fair, the Atlas Cables Eos 4dd that costs $430 received the same Best in Class award.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
To be fair, the Atlas Cables Eos 4dd that costs $430 received the same Best in Class award.

Sure, "Best In Class" means there are multiple classes. He also gave Furutech DPS-4 Editor's Choice and there were a few "Finest Cuts" awards as well. As it's not clearly explained I think the Classes must have been lower priced and higher priced. I think "Finest Cuts" is an honorable mention and Editor's Choice his personal preference.

Ah, I guess author didn't define the classes nor summarize his final thoughts.

There is a final thoughts section but indeed no explanation of awards.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States

I'm impressed with the intent and scope of the work performed. But was his evaluation gear that which is shown in the first video? if so, I can only shake my head and wonder if any of this evaluation work has significant merit to any reader of this forum. But I do give the guy an "A" for effort. It just seems like a pretty misguided exercise overall. I hope I'm wrong and do indeed hope that some folks find his report useful.

Reactions: Elliot G.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Audience frontRow powerChord for which the editor, Jay Luong, says “So forget about snap, crackle, and pop. Embrace the bass. Step outside the room and believe there’s someone in there. This is the most solid, seductive, and tangible sounding cable in the market – and that’s what you’re paying for. Anything that involves the midrange and below (brass, organs, drums, etc) – those instruments will materialize in front of you.”

So I agree, but not that only certain cables can produce this SQ. To think that cables, especially 5K a foot is the only way to achieve such a quality reproduction is a misnomer. YMMV IMHO

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I'm impressed with the intent and scope of the work performed. But was his evaluation gear that which is shown in the first video? if so, I can only shake my head and wonder if any of this evaluation work has significant merit to any reader of this forum. But I do give the guy an "A" for effort. It just seems like a pretty misguided exercise overall. I hope I'm wrong and do indeed hope that some folks find his report useful.

Hi Marty, how are you?

The author/reviewer did mention this:

Power cables involve:

• keeping all cables constant and changing one. I’ve used the seven Furutech DPS-4 power cords as my control.
  • testing the effects on multiple components
  • system stress: powering up and down properly
  • experimenting with different amplifiers and speakers
  • experimenting with various volume levels
  • trying out the different permutations and combinations
  • multiple listening sessions due to break-in and settling time

It sounds to me like he did his homework, with true passion and extensively diversified.
It's not every day we read such a complete and intelligent audio article on Audiophile Power Cables. It's like a reference audio bible.

Reading the comments below and his replies to them we can see how intelligent and truly dedicated he is to the world of our passionate audio hobby.
It's above science (just a guide), it's about listening (the essence).

Everyday we discover more, and those discoveries enrich our lives more, in knowledge, in experience, in wisdom and in pride. Because music and pictures matter. ...Sound & Vision.

The guy is good, very. And yes we all can find his report real useful.
I agree with you; a triple AAA+ for effort; the best and highest score.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
And Marty, I think he said it took him over a year to complete the comparisons.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Well, all the process is extremely nebulous. And IMHO such misguided exercises on subjects that are naturally controversial do more bad than good to our hobby.

This futile exercise remembers me of the old reviews of WhatHifi in the 80's- sometimes 15 speakers were compared and ranked in a single review!

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
Really impressive. Not perfect (what is?), but I have not seen anything on PCs in the audiophile press that comes anywhere close to this.

And congrats to Dave!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
? Protonman on August 18, 2019 at 10:18 am
"27 is indeed an achievement as cable auditioning is not easy and gets fatiguing. Luckily I came across the Zenwave PSR-14 early in my demoing and immediately knew it was the one. So I stopped there and have no desire to hear other power cords now. What a cable."

• Jay Luong on August 18, 2019 at 10:27 am
    "Yeah, it’s a VERY special cable. Thoroughly impressed. Big ups to Dave @ ZenWave Audio."

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing