300B Tube recommendation

ken6217

Sep 28, 2017
I was looking for a 300b tube recommendation. I listen to mostly rock and jazz and wanted a tube that had some punch to it and not necessarily a "delicate" sound.

I am currently have a pair of Sophia Royal Princess tubes and am not crazy about them. Would the Carbon Plate be more up my alley? Also, what about any of the KR Audio tubes?

Thanks in advance.
Ken

ken6217

Sep 28, 2017
Thanks. I don’t believe my amp can take advantage of the extra voltage with this tube. Will I still get the benefits of what I’m looking for anyway based on my last post?

Any experience with KR tubes?

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
About a gazillion years ago, I had a quad of Sophia carbon plates to replace WE300b reissues in my Border Patrol P20EXD and they were pleasingly ballsy. The Czech options are quite punchy but also less rich sounding, whereas the carbon plates were quite dark.

ken6217

Sep 28, 2017
Thanks for your comments. We’re you happy with the sound of the Carbon plate besides sounding dark?

Btw, I borrowed a pair of Takatsuki 300b and it was a nice presentation, it was too delicate a sound for me. Also no balls.

Also, any specific KR tubes model sound better in particular?

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
Oh ‘dark’ isn’t bad, more of an observation really and can be tuned out with brighter fuses / stiff footers if it bothers you. I was however very happy with the carbon plates.

What you say about Takatsuki doesn’t surprise me as Japanese tastes tend to err on the side of neutrality and refinement.

Can I ask what amplifier you are using? If traffo coupled like my old BP one then they tend to run more linear. Otherwise there may be scope for capacitor coupling and teflon tube sockets as they both could take you in the desired direction whilst also giving overall sound quality improvements.

ken6217

Sep 28, 2017
It is actually a headphone amp. It is a Cayin HA-300. Also using a Metrum Pavane DAC.

I have been rotating between the Tung Sol 6SN7GT black glass round plates, and Brimar CV 1988 brown base clear glass. The amp sounds great but I want to upgrade from the stick 300B tubes. They came with Fullmusic 300B/n.

What is required to add teflon sockets?

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
If it’s point to point wired, then replacing the sockets is pretty easy if you are able to solder. Ditto interstage coupling capacitors. If however they are pcb mounted then the job becomes more complicated.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
It's always the entire circuit that creates the sound, so no guarantees in your circuit, but every time I've heard the new stock Gold Lion 300b tube it has been clean and detailed. I mention it because it won't break the bank as 300b tube prices go.

ken6217

Sep 28, 2017
I ended up getting the KR HP Coke Bottle 300B tubes. I have about 30 hours on them and they sound very good. Getting better each day.

Reactions: christoph

jcmusic

May 20, 2010
Just Outside New Orleans, La.
This would depend on what your amp are voiced for? Which amp are you using? Back years ago when I was running a Sophia Electric 300B amp (Their Flagship Model) I was using Mesh tubes I think fro CJ or something like that. I tried others including the WE 300B they sounded terrible in that amp, back to the Mesh tubes and the magic returned.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing