5.1 Home Theatre "Switch" from 2 Channel without Sacrifice?

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
So people have danced around this topic before and I thought I'd try to start a new thread on the topic.

My main passion is two channel, but I've heard and enjoyed 5.1 and 7.1 sources, ofter with DVD or Blue Ray.
My question is, what would be the best way to go from 2ch to 5.1/7.1 while maximizing the existing 2CH as well as the resulting HT setup?
Ideally, the current 2ch plus subs becomes the Front L/R and .1 in in the HT setup.

I'm ok with optimizing the HT pre/processor and feeding the L/R signal from my Aries Cerat Preamp into the 5.1/7.1 pre/pro.

I'm most likely resigned to having to unplug the 2ch pre and plug back into my Audionet Amps, but maybe there's a way to use one of the two sets of pre outs for H/T and one for 2CH??

Thanks

Kerry

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I'm ok with optimizing the HT pre/processor and feeding the L/R signal from my Aries Cerat Preamp into the 5.1/7.1 pre/pro.
To maintain optimal stereo system performance, most audiophiles do it the other way, feeding the L/R signals from the pre/pro to an HT-bypass input on their stereo preamp.
I'm most likely resigned to having to unplug the 2ch pre and plug back into my Audionet Amps, but maybe there's a way to use one of the two sets of pre outs for H/T and one for 2CH??
I don't quite understand this. To expand on what I said above, I suggest you think of your current preamp/speakers/subs as the L/R channel of the mch system.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
So people have danced around this topic before and I thought I'd try to start a new thread on the topic.

My main passion is two channel, but I've heard and enjoyed 5.1 and 7.1 sources, ofter with DVD or Blue Ray.
My question is, what would be the best way to go from 2ch to 5.1/7.1 while maximizing the existing 2CH as well as the resulting HT setup?
Ideally, the current 2ch plus subs becomes the Front L/R and .1 in in the HT setup.

Thanks

Kerry

Hey, Kerry. As with most things there are multiple ways to skin this cat so-to-speak and of course not all ways will generate superior results. Perhaps your questions / concerns are best answered by asking a few questions.

1. If one already possesses a highly resolving 2.2 channel system where significant volumes of the ambient info embedded in the recording remain audible at the speaker, does one really need multi-channel? That is, aside from the desire to experience a Starfighter flying over their shoulder?

2. If a 2.2 channel audio-only playback system is already satisfying, why opt to install a separate pre-pro and some type of video source player and perhaps other gear when adding just a single universal/video source might easily suffice?

3. Is it not true that the more hardware of any sort we add to our playback systems the more we risk compromising the sonics we already have?

In my case, I'm using an OPPO 105d as both my main audio and my infrequent video source so I've no hardware additions whatsoever to my 2.2. channel playback system. Hence, my only additional hardware is limted to video playback which includes a an overhead projector and a 10.5ft diag screen mounted on the front wall.

Anyway, I find the simpler approach is usually the most sonically satisfying and in all honesty, I think my sonic compromises are absolutely minimized (no additional hardware) not to mention a lack of clutter in the room that additional multi-channel hardware brings with it, especially if its primary purpose is audio-only. Of course, then there's the additional costs and for what?

I've included a demo video here that I suspect with a pair of headphones, blowing up the video to full screen, and manually set the Youtube video resolution to 4k (Youtube has disabled auto HD)) might substantiate my perspective.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
If one already possesses a highly resolving 2.2 channel system where significant volumes of the ambient info embedded in the recording remain audible at the speaker, does one really need multi-channel?
Really old and simple story but...............yes. The ambient information is directionally incorrect.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing