70% Of Calfornia's Doctors Expected To Boycott Obamacare

rhbblb1

May 4, 2010
I think the only question there is did Americans demand all of that or was it sold to them by a private healthcare system, driven only by profit and growth and struggling to differentiate themselves from their competitors? I'm old enough to have seen the cultural shift that got us where we are, and I know the answer. Put it to Americans straight -- would you trade private rooms above a lobby that looks like a luxury hotel for your neighbor's ability to afford basic care -- I think Americans would make the right choice. And I don't think that speaks to my politics. I think most decent Americans, liberal and conservative, would make the right choice.

Tim
I would hope that you are correct about Americans making the "right " choice. However, I am not convinced that you are correct. If Americans were not attracted to luxuries such as hotel type lobbies, then hospitals would not spend the money on them. The baby delivery business is a big one and hospitals go all out on competing for patients by offering luxury deliveries.
BTW, I also agree with you about the silliness of the affordable care act. It accomplishes very little no matter what you political persuasion.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
From uninformed to irrelevant in one fell swoop. I think you're smart enough to know that what I was referring to was, well, the part I highlighted. Nobody "rammed ACA through." Nobody got the bill they wanted. The thing is a garbage pail of bad compromises because a naive president wanted bipartisanism and because a cynical legislature wanted to keep the insurance and pharma lobbies happy. The only thing worse than the web site is the law itself, but make no mistake, regardless of the final vote count, that one is bipartisan. It's a bipartisan turd in the punchbowl. The really scary part? There's a pretty decent chance it will still end up better than what we have.

And all we had to do is let individuals and small businesses buy into Medicare...

Tim

Help me out here...I'm confused

How many Republicans in the House and Senate voted for Obamacare?
What was and is currently the polling Obamacare?
What party used the chicanery of the Budget Reconcilliation Act to pass Obamacare?

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks for the reply.
The role of the FDA as I understand it is to test and certify the safety of new drugs and therapy and therefore cost is not a relevant factor for them.
We have a safety process here too but that is separate from the process of use on the NHS which is a cost benefit approach. So if a new drug is expensive but effective it will be approved for use on the NHS.If it fails that test but passes the safety test people can still access the drug at their own expense.
The same issue presumably arises in the US but there it is the insurance companies that decide whether they will fund such new and expensive treatments under their policies.I presume that is neither guaranteed nor automatic under all the policies but not sure how it works in practice.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Most insurance policies have a large list of medications they either will not pay for or will pay for only a (usually small) percentage of the cost.

Which segues easily into a big problem I have with one of the supposed problems with the PCACA; I don't really understand why insurers are telling people they can't continue their present insurance plans? Almost all health insurance policies I know of change cost and benefits at least annually and often even during the course of the year. To now turn around and say "we can't insure you with your current policy, it doesn't meet PCACA requirements" strikes me as manipulative at least and probably just plain dishonest. JMO though.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing