90-degree plug?

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
This is probably a blasphemous topic, so I hope the audio gods won't forever ban me to MP3s....

My home office audio system has significant space limitations. The rack is in the corner of my office, and can't really be moved. I love my new Denali V2 with its Sigma V2 XC cable, but as you can see in this photo the power cable is sticking out of the wall at a super awkward angle as it runs behind the rack. Ideally I want an AC outlet w/ angled receptacles, but can't seem to find such a thing. Obviously modifying the Shunyata Sigma is also quite suboptimal.

What do you guys do in such a situation? Would you use something like this? https://voodoocable.net/product/adjustable-right-angle-ac-wall-outlet-adapter-2/

Any advice appreciated. No I can't rearrange my office as it is shared w/ my wife and she is already mad at me...

IMG_1267.JPG

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Make one. That adapter is probably made with components you can buy off the shelf.

Or maybe replace the outlet with a twist lock and then make a turn?

@Kingrex is a wbf member that may have some ideas as this is his area...

Reactions: keithc

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I would start with the Voodoo adapter.

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
I would start with the Voodoo adapter.

Thanks. I also have this enroute to see how well it engages / fits w/ the large power cord:

Not sure if the Voodoo puts significant compromise on the signal / sound...

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I hope the high end PC manufactureres are listening

Reactions: FDPDK and keithc

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Thanks. I also have this enroute to see how well it engages / fits w/ the large power cord:

The current Legrand TR duplex is not helping anything. Change that out to a Hubbell 5362 with brass backstrap and use the Voodoo. It will perform better than what is there now.

Don't get that pop out wall outlet. It probably wont accept the Shunyata cord and it does not look of a quality to support a fine audio system.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I am not aware of any.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
It is not widely appreciated that the majority of audiophile plugs / iecs are built with standard dimensions / fittings and one can sometimes mix parts from different manufacturers. I used to do this with my old Gran Corona model as the Oyaide plug covers didn’t have a sufficiently wide cord input diameter. Anyhow, to cut to the chase, Wattgate offer a right angled housing which your cord could potentially be rebuilt with if the dimensions allow. The recommendation to upgrade the outlet is good advice.

IMG_0305.jpeg

Reactions: XCop5089 and keithc

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
The current Legrand TR duplex is not helping anything. Change that out to a Hubbell 5362 with brass backstrap and use the Voodoo. It will perform better than what is there now.

Don't get that pop out wall outlet. It probably wont accept the Shunyata cord and it does not look of a quality to support a fine audio system.

@Kingrex thanks for the recommendation. Reading about the various AC outlets, including the Shunyata SR-Z1, etc. shows there is a lot of different design features and that Hubbell builds many of the big brands' outlets for them.

I ordered this based on your suggestion and it has the most copper, but still uses nickel-plated brass clamps? https://hubbellcdn.com/specsheet/WIRING_HBL5362W_spec.pdf

Interesting that many others seem to use coated steel or less brass. What about this one w/ the isolated ground?

jbrrp1

Aug 3, 2020
From my experience with their 15A - 20A adaptors, I'm pretty sure that it will compromise sound quality. I was running my CHP M10 amp with a pair of Elrod Master Diamond 15A terminated power cords + VooDoo 15A - 20A adaptors feeding it , while I waited for some properly 20A terminated power cords to replace them. The Mater Diamonds in this configuration absolutely lifted the SQ from the Master Golds that preceded them (with the same adaptors). When I got the 20A terminated cords, they were significantly better in SQ. The only differences were direct 20A termination on the end of the cord instead of using an adaptor; the upstream cord was the same. I was rather surprised at the amount of compromise that this revealed, and a bit chagrined that I'd waited 10 months to get proper 20A terminated cords in place. I will no longer live with an adaptor in my power chain, if I can avoid it.

I would guess that their 90º adaptor would preform much the same. It sure looks to be built with the same basic principles.

• Sad

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
From my experience with their 15A - 20A adaptors, I'm pretty sure that it will compromise sound quality. I was running my CHP M10 amp with a pair of Elrod Master Diamond 15A terminated power cords + VooDoo 15A - 20A adaptors feeding it , while I waited for some properly 20A terminated power cords to replace them. The Mater Diamonds in this configuration absolutely lifted the SQ from the Master Golds that preceded them (with the same adaptors). When I got the 20A terminated cords, they were significantly better in SQ. The only differences were direct 20A termination on the end of the cord instead of using an adaptor; the upstream cord was the same. I was rather surprised at the amount of compromise that this revealed, and a bit chagrined that I'd waited 10 months to get proper 20A terminated cords in place. I will no longer live with an adaptor in my power chain, if I can avoid it.

I would guess that their 90º adaptor would preform much the same. It sure looks to be built with the same basic principles.

I was hoping no one would say the above but that is the concern. Do you know of any other less-compromising 90-degree methods?

Actually a little surprised that C19 cords don't more commonly come with a 90 degree plug, at least to aim down. Whether it is directly into an amp or power conditioner, we all typically have the cables subjected to gravity immediately from the wall. A 90 degree would help reduce the cantilever and therefore decrease the likelihood of loosening from the wall... just basic mechanics.

Reactions: jbrrp1

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Surface mount.a piece of wiremold from the outlet box to behind the cabnet? The cabinet may need to move out further.

Mount a box on its side to the exiting box. Its going to look like crap. Get as deep a outdoor plastic box you can find, or a very deep handy box with side entry.
Put a metal handy cover with 1/2" KO over the exsting box in the wall and use a 1/2" close nipple to lock them together.

Best thing to do is get a snake bit and drill a stud bay down the wall and land a cut in box behind your rack. A good electrician can do it without having to patch.

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
This is probably a blasphemous topic, so I hope the audio gods won't forever ban me to MP3s....

My home office audio system has significant space limitations. The rack is in the corner of my office, and can't really be moved. I love my new Denali V2 with its Sigma V2 XC cable, but as you can see in this photo the power cable is sticking out of the wall at a super awkward angle as it runs behind the rack. Ideally I want an AC outlet w/ angled receptacles, but can't seem to find such a thing. Obviously modifying the Shunyata Sigma is also quite suboptimal.

What do you guys do in such a situation? Would you use something like this? https://voodoocable.net/product/adjustable-right-angle-ac-wall-outlet-adapter-2/

Any advice appreciated. No I can't rearrange my office as it is shared w/ my wife and she is already mad at me...

View attachment 105891

jbrrp1

Aug 3, 2020

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
There you go. Get your cable manufacturer to custom terminate your favorite cord with this, picking your sonic preference between Rhodium or Gold plating.
One can conceivably also replace the insides of the Furutech 12 ML with your current favorite plug and just keep ML12 shell

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
There you go. Get your cable manufacturer to custom terminate your favorite cord with this, picking your sonic preference between Rhodium or Gold plating.

Not sure I have it in me to dismantle a Sigma XC, but assuming I’m willing to do so, has anyone done this before with the bigger shunyata cables?

jbrrp1

Aug 3, 2020
Not sure I have it in me to dismantle a Sigma XC, but assuming I’m willing to do so, has anyone done this before with the bigger shunyata cables?
Oh, gosh, I'm not suggesting you do it yourself. That's why I proposed to work with your cable manufacturer to see if they would as a custom piece for you.

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
Oh, gosh, I'm not suggesting you do it yourself. That's why I proposed to work with your cable manufacturer to see if they would as a custom piece for you.

Shunyata does not. In speaking w/ them today they said the demand for non-straight connectors is so rare that they do not have any such options nor custom possibilities.

Voodoo claims they can do it on any of their cables, and that their adapters are 100% transparent ;-)

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
What I really meant to say is that you can replace 12 ML innards with Fi-50 for example, no need to butcher your Shunyata

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing