A fun photo for the day

Andrew S.

Mar 20, 2021
Hobart, Tasmania
Here is a photo to brighten up everyone's day a little: 130m high transmission tower on Mt Wellington above Hobart, Tasmania. Replaced a steel one in 1997. Fairly hostile place to put one - winters up there are harsh.

To give scale - those are a couple folks walking around the bottom.

According to a technician who has worked at the tower, workers must only spend set amounts of time inside because the electromagnetic radiation levels are too high for safe prolonged exposure. Any repairs - they have to power it down.

And we think we have troubles - imagine a ratchet lift for 68m, then ladder climbing a hollow cylinder for the remaining 62m with nothing but air underneath. I can't imagine them being too worried about what power cable sounds best in that system.... :eek:

IMG_1905.jpeg

Last edited:

Andrew S.

Mar 20, 2021
Hobart, Tasmania
Today's photo was a brilliant sunset down the D'Entrecasteaux Channel in the middle of April. I'm afraid my iPhone doesn't do it justice.

It was taken out of Gordon - a very small settlement about 45 min south west of Hobart city. There is a pier, a boat ramp, some camping facilities, a sea break and little else.

IMG_1850.jpeg IMG_1844.jpeg

D'Entrecasteaux Channel is broadly a channel of sea running between the main island of Tasmania and Bruny Island (famed for its oysters!). I have included a shot across the Channel that has the closest point to Bruny.

There is a car ferry that runs regularly between the two, weather depending, and it usually takes 30-40 minutes to get across including getting on and off. Bruny itself is quite small, and consists of two separate larger islands with a low lying isthmus between them. Not much goes on in Bruny!

IMG_1842.jpeg

We have little in the way of anything to our west, and the sunsets, and Aurora Australis (southern lights) can be stunning.

I hope everyone has had a wonderful day, wherever you may be.

Lampie519

Mar 14, 2021
Hoofddorp, Holland
Typical Dutch image (grist mill, 5 minutes walk for me)

Attachments

• LNCQ3213.JPG
    LNCQ3213.JPG
    445.3 KB · Views: 8

etunes

Jan 8, 2012
Virginia Beach
just before sunrise

Attachments

• C82A608A-DCC7-435E-8314-8924AD858FFF.jpeg
    C82A608A-DCC7-435E-8314-8924AD858FFF.jpeg
    376.5 KB · Views: 11

Andrew S.

Mar 20, 2021
Hobart, Tasmania
Good evening one and all.

Hollybank Forest Reserve is a 20-minute drive from Launceston, Tasmania's second largest city . This picture was taken in December. We live around 3 - 3 1/2 hours away.

It is one of Tasmania's most popular picnic areas, and has a distinctly European flavour. In autumn, exotic deciduous trees are a colourful contrast to the natives.

A 40-minute walk passes through examples of Tasmania's major production forest types in a demonstration forest. This was part of the walk.

IMG_0449.jpeg

Andrew S.

Mar 20, 2021
Hobart, Tasmania
Gosh what lovely photos.

I would comment individually, but it would be a never ending quest!

In the meantime, thank you for every single one. They brighten my day up no end.

Andrew S.

Mar 20, 2021
Hobart, Tasmania
Both. I live one block from where I took the photo and we have two moorings in the harbor not far from the lighthouse.

How wonderful. You are blessed being a yachtsman. I didn't realise you were so far up. Winters must be brutal.

Enjoy your summer.

Last edited:

Andrew S.

Mar 20, 2021
Hobart, Tasmania
Today's photo is of Mays Beach, approx 45 min out of Hobart.

This was taken at dusk a few weeks ago. It was unusually calm.

The traditional owners of the land, the Moomairremener people of the Oyster Bay Nation (Aboriginals) lived seasonally along the coast, prior to white settlement. The May family purchased property in 1874 and Mays Point, Mays Beach and Mays Hill are named after them. The family had orchards and grew apples, pears and cherries. A wharf at Mays Beach was used to ship the fruit to market.

Farmland surrounds the area, with many of the descendants of the May family still living and farming it.

IMG_1773.jpeg

The picture below is of farmland around 100m up from the beach along the coastal track, taken over summer.

IMG_1862.jpeg

The coastal strip is now public land. The beach itself is around 1.2km long.

This is a photo of the beach itself, again toward dusk. The sand is quite a bright yellow in full sunshine.

IMG_1764.jpeg

The point at the top right of the photos produces a small point break in certain swells and it is common to see surfers out there dodging the rocks.

63662012364__FBACC57C-4F57-43F1-A7F2-A18D5048CA1D.jpeg

The water is usually around 8-10 degrees in winter and 16 in summer (Celsius).

Sea Kayaks regularly visit, and in Frederick Henry Bay - in which May Beach sits - there are yacht races most Saturdays from Nov. to March. Mainly two man ones like Peter posted - although occasionally larger Catamarans - which fairly fly across, one keel out of the water and the other barely in.

I hope everyone is having a lovely evening, or day, as may be.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikem53 and Bobvin

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing