A king is visiting Hong Kong : the Sablon Audio King Sablon powercord

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I must thank Mr. Mark Coles of Sablon Audio to let me to have the opportunity of enjoying his flagship powercord - King Sablon for a few weeks.

The parcel arrived and was unexpectedly large and heavy.

A lot of bubble plastic sheets for protection.
20181011_205301_2a.jpg

Attachments

• 20181011_203112_2b.jpg
    20181011_203112_2b.jpg
    360.2 KB · Views: 689
Reactions: Sablon Audio

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
20181011_205535~2a.jpg

The King Sablon is unlike any of the audiophile powercords which I have encountered before.
The built is far better than all previous Sablon Audio series.

The Bocchino power connectors are AWESOME!

20181011_205600~2a.jpg

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
That plug end looks bigger than most listening rooms in HK!

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
The ground pin is a solid bar!
I guess the Bocchino power plugs can conduct whatever high current with ease.

20181011_231210_HDR~2a.jpg

According to Mark, the Bocchino power connectors are difficult to make and are always backordered, and only a few audiophile cable makers are able to get them for their flagship products.

I know little about the materials which make the pins and connector enclosure.
Maybe Mark can give us more info?

Last edited:

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I didn't want to make the beautiful white connectors dirty so they were wrapped with Glad Wrap when being "boiled" at my home. ;)

Mark told me that he had treated it with a cable cooking machine, but I guessed it still needed some workout before I evaluated it and brought it to audiophile gatherings in Hong Kong.

20181028_105953_HDR_2a.jpg

I boiled it on my home powerstrip, on the Furutech NCF socket.
The grip is very secure, tight and stable, despite that the Bocchino power plug is big and heavy.

During the next several days, I will psot more photos and tell you how it perfoms in my audio syatem and at audiophile gatherings in HK. :)

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sorry for what might be a silly q, but what if you wanted to plug in six King Sablons on that strip?
Could you accommodate them all?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Sorry for what might be a silly q, but what if you wanted to plug in six King Sablons on that strip?
Could you accommodate them all?

Nothing is perfect.
A compromise between usability and performance in conduction/prevention of interference & vibration.

It's obvious in the photo that the Bocchino power plug is occupying so much space.
Users have to consider this factor when planning the purchase.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Peter, thanks so much for sharing your photos and initial impressions. I have asked Carmine for some more details on the materials he uses for the plug casings but can tell you that the pins are machined from a high purity virgin mined copper which is then heavily plated with silver. More anon.

Reactions: CKKeung

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Look forward to reading about how it sounds!

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

It is an addictive monster - I auditioned an earlier version with the Bocch IEC “only” (plug end was Furutech NCF) but with the new humongous guage / geometry. It was fantastic and I was pissed when I had to send it back lol.

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015

Hi Lloyd, here is some fb on a hybrid model like Bill described above. I took it to a dealer friend yesterday and he replaced a cord costing @$12k with mine. Is several generations more evolved than the early cord of mine you have

Amazing!
It’s a single ended triode with an awesome low end.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Mark,

Sounds great. Two questions:

1. How much?

2. Does it come with UK termination?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Two more photos of the female IEC side of the Bocchino powerplug on the King Sablon powercord.
It's smaller in size than the male side.
The IEC socket and the body of the plug are made of whitish telfon-like material.
The anti-vibration & shielding effect must be very good.

20181111_105101_HDR_2a.jpg
20181111_105117_2a.jpg

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
I didn't want to make the beautiful white connectors dirty so they were wrapped with Glad Wrap when being "boiled" at my home. ;)

Mark told me that he had treated it with a cable cooking machine, but I guessed it still needed some workout before I evaluated it and brought it to audiophile gatherings in Hong Kong.

View attachment 45497

I boiled it on my home powerstrip, on the Furutech NCF socket.
The grip is very secure, tight and stable, despite that the Bocchino power plug is big and heavy.

During the next several days, I will psot more photos and tell you how it perfoms in my audio syatem and at audiophile gatherings in HK. :)

There is no getting away from the fact that the Bocchino plugs are huge. The iec alone seems colossal but the USA plug is @50% larger in volume. Although the pins have been offset by 90 degrees to allow a pair of these plugs to be mounted alongside in a duplex outlet, their width can infringe on adjacent outlets like in Peter's distribution block above. Whilst he could potentially use the outer sockets to fit 4 cords, I also offer a hybrid model which uses the NCF USA (or UK or Schuko) plug which combines the usual 6awg conductor area of the Elite model together with the Bocchino iec of the King Sablon at a commensurately lower price point. Big gains accrue from the Bocchino IEC alone over the NCF equivalent, so don't think of it as a poor cousin!

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
20181104_142414_HDR~2.jpg

Would like to update you on my impression and my audiophile friends', on this King Sablon powercord.
I used it not only on my own system but have also taken it to audiophile gatherings in HK.

The above photo was taken at one of the gatherings.
This good friend of mine bought an unit in an industrial building for music enjoyment and held gatherings there regularly. The listening area is about 450 sq feet which is perfect for a large audiophile system.

The LP turntable, speaker and amplifiers are vintage stuff : the legendary Cello Suite, Equilizer and Performance II monos.
Do you recognize the horn speakers there? :)

Last edited:

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Indeed I've owned the Cello setup as pictured--I gather they drove the Pioneers fine--I have to admit the Performance Amps could not drive the
Wilson Grand Slamms I tried at the time. I notice pair of Janis W-1 Subs-- fine products:)!

BruceD

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I contrast to the LP, amps & speaker, my friend has fully embraced a very modern digital frontend :
He has a diy CAS desktop computer with linear powersupplies and the HQPlayer as playback software.
Its usb output is connected to an Uptone IsoRegen, then a SOtM tx-USBultra which is clocked by a Cybershaft new Limited OP20 10M clock.
Then the signal goes into a Chord Blu2 which upscales it to pcm758 and sends it by two Habst 5N silver coaxial cables to a Chord DAVE dac for decoding.

During our gathering, the King Sablon was applied on the Chord Blu2 :

20181104_142149~2.jpg

Clad Wrap was used on the King Sablon as protection for the beautiful white colour Bocchino connectors. Photo from another angle :

20181104_142155~2.jpg

The several powerlines are separated from those for non-audio electrical appliances. The big Bocchino male power plug sat comfortably and securely during the audition.

20181104_142140~2.jpg

IMHO the King Sablon gives me a very different impression when compared to the other Sablon Audio cables.
The latter are very musical and involving.
But the King Sablon gives me an immediate feeling of Authority and Liveliness in additional to musicality.
One of the usual pitfalls of CAS is the suboptimal "density" of the images & soundstage, which are much "diluted" when compared with LP & CD/SACD.
The King Sablon powercord excels in these 2 areas.
Images becomes vivid, lively and 3-dimensional. The soundstage is no longer empty but filled with "air".
Also, and not unexpected, King Sablon gives excellent macrodynamics and microdynamics.
The Bocchino connectors are big in size but the sound is agile.
The treble is extended, smooth and beautiful.
Mark : are there silver wires in the King Sablon?

All in all, King Sablon is definitely a top audiophile powercord and can fight with those conventional big brands costing 2 times more.
This is my first encounter of the Bocchino power connectors and I guess they must be contributing much to the great performance of King Sablon.

Is it perfect? Not of course but the only consideration that I can think of is the size of the Bocchino power connectors. Some components or power sockets may not have sufficient space for them but I think this must be a much less important consideration in N Am & European audiophiles. Your listening areas/rooms must be much biggers than ours in Hong Kong. :D

Last but not least, I have to thank Mr. Mark Coles of Sablon Audio again for giving the opportunity to enjoy and review this fabulous King Sablon powercord!

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
CK, every stage I've gone thru on Sablon ownership, from the original Panatella and Gran Corona, to Reserva and Elite, now to modded Elite, has brought to the fore more air, texture, authority, natural warmth, tonal density, and accurate timbre.

I can only imagine what the Bocchinos bring to the party.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Last edited:
Reactions: BruceD

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing