gian60

Apr 17, 2016
We have to find the right one for us and then stop to think to cables

Reactions: tima

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Thanks for posting a link to your article. I have an interest in phono cables.

Does the cable require any sort of break-in?

I see:
UEF matrix shielding
UEF technology
UEF tuning bullets
UEF compound

I'm not familiar with UEF. What is that? Is it an acronym?

What are the differences between the Galileo SX phono cable and the company's interconnects?
Did you get a chance to compare the cable to another in its class?

Thanks!

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Thanks for posting a link to your article. I have an interest in phono cables.

Does the cable require any sort of break-in?

I see:
UEF matrix shielding
UEF technology
UEF tuning bullets
UEF compound

I'm not familiar with UEF. What is that? Is it an acronym?

What are the differences between the Galileo SX phono cable and the company's interconnects?
Did you get a chance to compare the cable to another in its class?

Thanks!

Same technology as the rest of the Galileo SX line. The tuning bullets allow you to voice the system between more accurate or more warm but net effect is neutrality if you do it right. UEF is the SR technology that lowers noise. More details on the Synergistic website.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

Some cables are simply better sounding than others. They have lower noise and simply sound less veiled. This is one of those. If you need tailoring to your specific system then the tuning bullets allow you to do that.

I've heard a lot of great phono cables but the Galileo was next level stuff.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
........was next level stuff.

compared to what?

if it's a new reference, what was the old reference?

or is this (the phrase 'a new reference') just like claims on HiFi Print magazine covers? for entertainment purposes only. (which if so is perfectly fine).

i'm also in the market for a phono cable and appreciate useful comparative feedback.

Last edited:
Reactions: mulveling

mulveling

Jul 6, 2017
Yep, exactly. For some reason phono cable reviews never like to mention what they were actually compared against. Not long ago there was another review like this on the Cardas Clear phono. Very frustrating. Tell me it beat the crap out of say an AQ WEL Signature (which is what I have) - now that would be interesting!

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Don Gian,

I think you already found the right one for you. You know so well it is not about this cable gives more of this or more of that. It is about whether it gives your system the "balance." I believe Kuro could give you more of what your system has abundant. On th other hand the Gobel you tried in your system add something that make your system more balance and not taking out something that makes your system less balance. There are many excellent cables out there. Adding one that further emphasizing the already a strength of the system could be exciting and wow on a short run. Sooner or later the owner will realize if that is the balance he wants in a system. My friend is a dealer of Synergistic Research. I had their top Galileo in my system just for fun once. Personally I think they just use the grounding feature as the highlight. My Kuro also has a grounding feature add to it too. I actually don't use that feature. While a person may think the SR is in an elite league, JV also thinks so, I think otherwise. But this just could be that SR did not create the balance I look for in my system. As a remark, I only had experience with SR interconnects and powercords. I never tried phono cable. My comment obviously generalizes their sound signature. So my bad if the phono cable does not carry the sound signature and excel in its own unique way.

Tang :)

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Tuning bullets. What do they actually do, technically speaking? For something to be considered a "reference" seems a bit odd when there's a user-manipulated aspect to its performance. In any event, I believe you fairly recently reviewed and thought highly of the Furutech Silver Arrows II phono cable. Perhaps that would be a useful compare point for this review where you could shed more light?

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
compared to what?

if it's a new reference, what was the old reference?

or is this (the phrase 'a new reference') just like claims on HiFi Print magazine covers? for entertainment purposes only. (which if so is perfectly fine).

i'm also in the market for a phono cable and appreciate useful comparative feedback.

Hi Mike,

I found it to sound better than the Furutech Silver Arrow II which was a great cable and my previous reference. In third place, I would point to the Audioquest Fire but that's a bit unfair in that the WEL Signature would be more in the same price range.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Tuning bullets. What do they actually do, technically speaking? For something to be considered a "reference" seems a bit odd when there's a user-manipulated aspect to its performance. In any event, I believe you fairly recently reviewed and thought highly of the Furutech Silver Arrows II phono cable. Perhaps that would be a useful compare point for this review where you could shed more light?

I don't know exactly how they work but they are very effective. You can try three ways: neutral with no bullets, warn with the gold ones, and silver for a bit more detail. The gold ones worked best in my ARC/Doshi/Alexia 2 system. It really sounds amazing.

I still think very, very highly of the Silver Arrow II. The Galileo is less veiled...although the Silver Arrows are not very veiled. I think where Ted and team excel is in lowering noise in their cables. It just seemed like I heard of what was on the record.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Yep, exactly. For some reason phono cable reviews never like to mention what they were actually compared against. Not long ago there was another review like this on the Cardas Clear phono. Very frustrating. Tell me it beat the crap out of say an AQ WEL Signature (which is what I have) - now that would be interesting!

The Fire was not in the same league but I did not have a WEL Signature on hand to compare with. I am in touch with AQ and may get one to review or try.

Reactions: mulveling

mulveling

Jul 6, 2017
The Fire was not in the same league but I did not have a WEL Signature on hand to compare with. I am in touch with AQ and may get one to review or try.
That would be great! I’d be very curious for that comparison. As for the Fire though, it’s not really a phono cable, and its higher capacitance can be a real problem for certain phono roles (especially at 1m or more). I found that out myself trying to use a 1m Fire between SUT and phono stage - not good, gets clobbered by a WEL LP in that slot, whereas the WEL IC vs Fire between preamp and amp is a much closer race. So a Wild LP or WEL LP should be a much fairer fight to another phono cable.

Reactions: Lee

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
That would be great! I’d be very curious for that comparison. As for the Fire though, it’s not really a phono cable, and its higher capacitance can be a real problem for certain phono roles (especially at 1m or more). I found that out myself trying to use a 1m Fire between SUT and phono stage - not good, gets clobbered by a WEL LP in that slot, whereas the WEL IC vs Fire between preamp and amp is a much closer race. So a Wild LP or WEL LP should be a much fairer fight to another phono cable.

Agreed.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing