A new signature ...

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I just saw this...

My system: Etsuro Gold cartridge(mg), CS Port phono, bespoke LFD phono cable, AMG v12 turntable w/ 12JT Turbo tonearm, dCS Rossini DAC, Audio Research Ref10 pre, Audio Research REF 160M's, Wilson Alexia v1 speakers. [INCOMING... Announcing pre-arrival of Mighty Pilium—Alexander pre and Achilles Power amp, and Alsyvox Botticelli X.] Transparent Ref MM2 & Gen5 signal cables, Shunyata SigmaNR, Python power cables. Shunyata Triton v3, Stillpoints. HRS. Acoustic environment optimized by Dr. Bonnie Schnitta of SoundSense.]

Wow - stunning - congratulations, Bob!

The Botticelli will look great in your beautiful room.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I’ve not quite figured how to post from another thread, so here’s the real news...

Oh man, I am so thrilled to be getting on with Mighty Pilium... just placed my order for Alexander pre and Achilles power, with a pair of Alsyvox Boteccelli X. Even more, as the new “Rhapsody Listening Room—Portland” I will also have Diesis Roma in-house by end of summer. Looking forward to hosting auditions of these exquisite brands for fellow audio-geeks in western USA. Planning to have Bayz later in the year. If your summer travels bring you north?

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Just this morning completed arrangements to also bring a pair of Bayz “Courante 2.0” in right away. Like all the other pieces, 8-10 weeks build time, then travel from EU. Summer will be exciting ‘round here.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I’ve managed to up my timeframe a little bit and now all my gear will be arriving, most likely, in June: Pilium, Alsyvox, Diesis, and Bayz. It will the west-coast version of the Rhapsody smorgasbord of the finest sounds in audio.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I’ve managed to up my timeframe a little bit and now all my gear will be arriving, most likely, in June: Pilium, Alsyvox, Diesis, and Bayz. It will the west-coast version of the Rhapsody smorgasbord of the finest sounds in audio.
I feel sorry for Wilson, they are loosing a good advocate, but happy for you :)

Reactions: tima

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I feel sorry for Wilson, they are loosing a good advocate, but happy for you :)
Thank you. I can still speak well of Wilson, I know not everyone loves the Wilson sound but in my opinion, for a "box" speaker they really can make great music. It was after I visited Bob @Rhapsody a couple years back and first heard the Diesis Roma I realized in many ways I was still quite naive about different approaches to "loudspeakers". Sure, when I was younger I heard Magneplaners, and at shows I heard AvantGarde (which I liked), but my primary exposure had always been box speakers. The Diesis Roma, in comparison, just had an effortless presentation, the music just flowed. In comparison my Wilsons seemed to force the sound out.

Last year adding the Etsuro Gold cartridge and CS Port phono stage elevated my system in a big way, and I was hearing much more "flow" to the music. So again I was considering what direction to go with a speaker change.

I have a lot of trust and respect for Bob @Rhapsody, every time I've visited he's turned me on to something new and amazing but always in the spirit of sharing his own enthusiasm. Plus, he has the most amazing collection of toys! When the opportunity presented itself to join the RLR team, I thought it would fun to share with others my own enthusiasm because all this new gear... Pilium, Diesis, Alsyvox, Bayz needs to be heard by music lovers. I think it is going to be a LOT of fun.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Thank you. I can still speak well of Wilson, I know not everyone loves the Wilson sound but in my opinion, for a "box" speaker they really can make great music. It was after I visited Bob @Rhapsody a couple years back and first heard the Diesis Roma I realized in many ways I was still quite naive about different approaches to "loudspeakers". Sure, when I was younger I heard Magneplaners, and at shows I heard AvantGarde (which I liked), but my primary exposure had always been box speakers. The Diesis Roma, in comparison, just had an effortless presentation, the music just flowed. In comparison my Wilsons seemed to force the sound out.

Last year adding the Etsuro Gold cartridge and CS Port phono stage elevated my system in a big way, and I was hearing much more "flow" to the music. So again I was considering what direction to go with a speaker change.

I have a lot of trust and respect for Bob @Rhapsody, every time I've visited he's turned me on to something new and amazing but always in the spirit of sharing his own enthusiasm. Plus, he has the most amazing collection of toys! When the opportunity presented itself to join the RLR team, I thought it would fun to share with others my own enthusiasm because all this new gear... Pilium, Diesis, Alsyvox, Bayz needs to be heard by music lovers. I think it is going to be a LOT of fun.
I am sure you will appreciate what planars and omnis can do, especially if you optimize your room for that kind of presentation. I have personally never been cured from the addiction after i got hooked :)

Reactions: Bobvin

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
Congrats on the upcoming changes to your system. Once this COVID nightmare ends, I hope to get to listen to your new set-up. I'll dig deep into the wine cellar to bribe my way in. Since you're in Oregon, I'll skip the Pinots from Willamette.

Reactions: Bobvin

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations, Bob! It is not many audiophiles who are lucky enough to audition their three favorite speakers side-by-side in their own listening room!

Reactions: Bobvin and tima

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Congrats on the upcoming changes to your system. Once this COVID nightmare ends, I hope to get to listen to your new set-up. I'll dig deep into the wine cellar to bribe my way in. Since you're in Oregon, I'll skip the Pinots from Willamette.
You said the magic word! Vino and music go so well together, letting you relax into the music. And relaxing and not being “critical” is when I really notice what a system is doing well (or not.)

You are most welcome to visit (even empty handed!) ;)

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Congratulations, Bob! It is not many audiophiles who are lucky enough to audition their three favorite speakers side-by-side in their own listening room!
Thanks Ron. I am indeed blessed (in so many ways). I've lived with my room now for a time; after it was built there was the period of reflection and second guessing, but some things that gave me pause turned out to be remedied by a much better source. The Benz LPS just didn't have the ability to dig out as much info, and the bass just did not have the detail and differentiation I am hearing with the MasterGold cartridge. The bespoke phono cable makes a difference too, but the cartridge is where the magic starts. Consequently, I have more trust my room isn't f'ing things up because I can so clearly hear the differences.

Mine might not be the last word in engineered listening rooms (I think Hugh might get the nod for his efforts... and then there is, of course, The Barn) but I am confident I'll be able to hear what each of these new speakers can deliver. And being able to live with them I will have so much more than a cursory knowledge of the strengths and weaknesses of each. (Assuming, of course, there isn't something about any of their presentations that just won't work in my room, but I doubt that.)

And for those who ultimately listen with interest towards owning any of these speakers, I can feel great knowing I've showcased them in a great light.

seriouslyhifi

Mar 19, 2013

Hi what were the differences between the Wilsons and Bayz in your experience. Which Wilsons did you like. Has anyone compared/preferred to the Magico or Wilson bigger speakers made by them. Has any Magico owner heard/compared them to Bayz. That would be an interesting comparison and feedback.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Hi what were the differences between the Wilsons and Bayz in your experience. Which Wilsons did you like. Has anyone compared/preferred to the Magico or Wilson bigger speakers made by them. Has any Magico owner heard/compared them to Bayz. That would be an interesting comparison and feedback.
I cannot speak to any comparisons... I have not yet received my Bayz speakers. But I expect, (purely speculation), the presentation will be the defining characteristic due to the Bayz omni-directional radiation pattern. It will be interesting to hear how the bass is presented—compared to the ported design of Wilson or the sealed design of Magico.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I cannot speak to any comparisons... I have not yet received my Bayz speakers. But I expect, (purely speculation), the presentation will be the defining characteristic due to the Bayz omni-directional radiation pattern. It will be interesting to hear how the bass is presented—compared to the ported design of Wilson or the sealed design of Magico.
I am fairly familiar with all three brands. They all present a different musical presentation imho, as does the 100+ other speaker brands in existence.

You can structure great systems for musical enjoyment with these three mentioned brands as well as the other other 100+ brands.

Great to have so many choices in this day and age. If anything maybe there are too many choices which can make it difficult for many to decide on exactly which speaker they want to purchase and live with.

Last edited:
Reactions: OCD Mods

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Of course more choices are good, what is difficult in our hobby is the ability for the consumer to access those choices so they can listen for themselves. And this is why I chose to become the Pacific NW and west coast RLR. I‘ve long admired the various brands you offer, I think many retailers are forced to play it safe offering well-known, well-marketed brands—which reduces consumer exposure. Our hobby is one of artisans and engineers—only a few have created large companies like Magico or Wilson. Scaling up is extremely costly. The barriers to entry are very high. Which is, again, why I have admired Rhapsody exposing some lesser known brands, even though I am on the other side of a big continent.

But now, and I am so thrilled about this, I will be able to offer folks this side of the Mississippi a nice, comfortable place to hear speakers and components they otherwise would not hear. And selfishly I get to play with cool new toys!

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Bob.east has Terrilium and Vyda. For myself, initially, I will keep my Transparent loom though I will have them recalibrated for the Pilium gear. Transparent calibration is related to the source component (at the level I own) more-so than the target component, meaning my speaker cables will work with all sets of speakers. When I can I’ll probably try the Vyda if only because the maker is friends with Giuseppe at Diesis.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vienna and tima

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Bob.east has Terrilium and Vyda. For myself, initially, I will keep my Transparent loom though I will have them recalibrated for the Pilium gear. Transparent calibration is related to the source component (at the level I own) more-so than the target component, meaning my speaker cables will work with all sets of speakers. When I can I’ll probably try the Vyda if only because the maker is friends with Giuseppe at Diesis.

Thanks. I was curious about the Transparent as I vaguely knew they had some component specificity. After Savvas' (@Vienna) excellent report on the Vyda I'll be curious to hear your take.

This has got to be sooo much fun for you!

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Thanks. I was curious about the Transparent as I vaguely knew they had some component specificity. After Savvas' (@Vienna) excellent report on the Vyda I'll be curious to hear your take.

This has got to be sooo much fun for you!
I hope and expect it will be, but now I am in process of selling off my ARC and Wilsons. Having some attachment issues. :eek:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing