A new star in 2019 : Innuos Statement Server

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Files are being imported. Next step is to see if Roon will pick them up automatically or if I need to tell Roon that music is on the Statement now.
Curious; if there is a buffer why does music sound differently played off the local SSD and buffer vs a NAS and buffer?

Sorry I am not a tech guy and I guess not all we/engineers know currently can explain all the phenomena in the audiophile field.

I myself have a CAS systems and have listened to many CAS systems in HK.
I found that the network pathway has to be meticulously tweaked before the playing of NAS files can approach the sonic quality of playing music files inside the internal storage of servers.
And streaming is nearly always worse than the above-mentioned two pathways.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) I found that the network pathway has to be meticulously tweaked before the playing of NAS files can approach the sonic quality of playing music files inside the internal storage of servers.
And streaming is nearly always worse than the above-mentioned two pathways.

Approach or equal? Did you ever manage to make them sound the same?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Approach or equal? Did you ever manage to make them sound the same?

Not every CAS audiophiles whom I have visited got both configs to compare against.

However there is one CAS frd of mine whose NAS based FAS system is outstanding and IMO can compete with the best servers.

I shall share with you some of his tricks later today. I have to dig out the photos first.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
In our setup, with linear supplies in the router, NAS, etc., the difference between playing from NAS vs playing from resident file were slim to none. Using Roon, BTW.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
In our setup, with linear supplies in the router, NAS, etc., the difference between playing from NAS vs playing from resident file were slim to none. Using Roon, BTW.

IMHO linear powersupplies to NAS/switch/router/modem is only the first step.
There are many more tweaks available.

I probably will start a new thread on this issue later today, because afterall this thread is on Innuos Statement Server.
;)

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
While this review is about the Innuos Statement, the background starts a year earlier when I sold my Sonus Faber + vacuum tube based system (it sounded great but generated too much heat in my small room) and replaced it with a Magico, Devialet combination linked with Synergistic Research cabling. Due to the fact that Devialet was making a major revision to its entire line-up I had to wait 3 months for delivery. Idle hands as they say. I had an extra shelf on my rack so before I knew it I had a Michell Orbe/SME Type IV/Ortofon Candenza Black on the way!
With the system installed, the TT carefully set-up and calibrated and a small collection on mint EMI and Decca vinyl purchased from a UK dealer I was obtaining exceptional results, however my original goal had been an all-digital system for local and remote streaming. After doing some considerable research and auditioning I purchased an Innuos Zenith SE server. Roughly 48 hours after its installation the Zenith was producing utter magic….which literally redefined what I thought possible from digital. The sound was rich, immersive, highly focussed and multi-layered with incredible drive and impetus and an amazing ability to engage the listener. Music I knew well revealed new depths of spaciousness and detail, while instrumental timbre was so rich and pure it sent shivers down my spine.
I set about ripping my entire CD collection. Prior to the Zenith I’d been a track picker, like a chocolate box picker only with CD tracks. I had my favorites and that’s what I played. With the Zenith there was an alternative way to play music…..random. I could pick pretty much any attribute… album, artist, genre you name it; so I kept it simple. Random tracks. That first listening session was amazing….incredible, compelling music that I’d literally never heard before. 18 out of 20 tracks new and including some of the best music I’d ever heard. How could I have owned this music for 20 years or more and never heard it? The second night was the same, and the third and so on. Each evening at the end of listening I clicked the save button and captured the entire random selection as a play list. I was amazed. I had music that sounded better than I’d ever heard and essentially I had a huge, brand new collection of it. Literally enough for years to come. To say the Zenith SE was delivering value would be a major understatement given that it had just brought my entire CD collection to life.
I carried on like this for several weeks, considering myself a very lucky guy. With everything run in I now had a situation where the Zenith SE was consistently producing magical music that significantly outperformed my turntable, even when said music was streamed from Qobuz, making the turntable rather pointless. So when Innuos announced the Statement a quick call to my dealer was all it needed and the TT was gone. Vinyl collection anyone?
I spent the 8 months between ordering the Statement and taking delivery in tuning my network, essentially obtaining a super clean, dedicated 200-250 Mbps bit stream based entirely on Sean Jacob’s designed MC3 power supplies. Sean designs the power supplies for Innuos so essentially my system including network is now based on the same power supply design throughout.
Ripping CDs on the Zenith SE or Statement is an absolute breeze. Decide if you want Wav or Flac format (I chose Wav), plug in a USB disc drive of sufficient capacity for back-up purposes and proceed to feed it CDs. It will rip the CD to the built-in SSD in under 5 minutes (a little longer if you want silent ripping), quarantine any duplicates or bad copies, obtain and store all the meta data from the internet and produce a back-up to the USB drive at regular intervals. In ripping over 2,500 CDs it detected only a handful of bad tracks, which were indeed faulty…otherwise ripping was completely stress and error free.
Before the Statement arrived I made a final back-up of my library through the my-Innuos dashboard, so restoring my library was simply a matter of connecting the back-up disc, clicking the appropriate ‘restore’ wizard and the unit rebuilt my entire library on the Statement’s SSD. Totally straightforward. Connecting to Qobuz involved inputting my account password and I was immediately streaming my favorites.
So let’s now move on to the Statement’s performance. Essentially what you have is a turnkey, easy to operate server with by far the best sound I personally have ever heard, analog or digital. Now I have no doubt whatsoever that the sound I have could be improved….better speakers in a better room, superior cables, cleaner power maybe, earthing perhaps but I do not believe you’ll find a better source; certainly not a better digital source and you’d need to spend one heck of a lot if you wanted to even approach the sound quality via a turntable and records. My own fairly reasonable turntable, arm and cartridge got nowhere near close to the Statement’s sound quality.
Poorly engineered and mastered recordings will of course still reveal their shortcoming, but in an average collection like mine, these distasterpieces are extremely few and far between. The vast majority of recordings range from perfectly acceptable and a joy to listen to utterly mesmerizing and stunningly beautiful. With a good recording, the sound is fully enveloping, filling the entire room and beyond. The air between performers has an acoustic texture that changes from track to track, giving each piece its own unique character and identity. Music has a vibrancy, energy and immediacy that will instantly remind you of why we all love live performances. Brass has a brightness, intensity and vibrancy, words that may often suggest pain and listener fatigue that in the case of the Statement are meant to convey a sense of liveness, realness and excitement. Violins resonate with energy and complexity, clearly communicating the virtuosity of notes shaped by masters of the craft. With flute you have a sense of air moving through the instrument, of the instrument adding its unique timbre and character and of the musician… breathing, blowing air over the mouthpiece, the keys opening and closing. With every instrument you hear its unique colour, its timbre, its mechanical operation and sounds made by each musician, just like you would in a live recital. This may all sound like characteristics of the Statement, but they’re not. The sounds I describe are characteristics of the recording that the Statement extracts perfectly, preserving the musical signal in its entirety for your enjoyment. Vivid, vibrant, music that’s full of natural energy and tonal authenticity, that instantly attracts and engages the listener; communicating all the skills and prowess of the musicians. Music that makes you excited, sad, tense with anticipation or joyful at its sheer beauty. The Statement lets you enjoy more of the intrinsic qualities and nature of the music. What you’ll come to appreciate with the Statement is that for certain genre of music, presentation is just as important as the musical content and interpretation and you’ll appreciate how the skill and artistry of the recording engineer is an intrinsic part of the whole performance. Certain recordings seem to actually modify the air in your listening room
Recently I’ve been thoroughly enjoying classical music streamed through the Statement. Piano that energizes the room with its intensity, acoustic complexity, resonance and haunting decay; solo instruments like bassoon, oboe, or french horn rich with their timbral complexity and the acoustics of their recording venue. Orchestras where you have the best seat in the house, every instrument making its own distinct contribution with a presence and clarity that’ll remind you of the live event. And what makes the profound enjoyment of this music all the more remarkable is when you consider its source. Internet radio at 128kbps for heavens sake. There are of course some deficiencies but only in comparison to streaming red book 44.1 kHz 16 bit, which offers greater soundstage size, improved layering and height information and a certain weight and heft that leaves the 128kbps sounding a little light weight and less spectacular by comparison. So why even listen to Internet Radio? The programming material of Radio Swiss Classic is an absolute joy. I can listen for hours, marvelling at the sound quality and discovering tons of new music, all of which is to my taste. The sound quality of the Statement is so good that sacrificing a little to obtain such beautiful music is definitely a price worth paying and hardly a downside.
Of course, this level of performance does require that your network be in the same ballpark, quality-wise as the Statement. If your network relies on cheap SMPSs and consumer-grade cabling there will be a marked difference between local and remote streaming; but if your network is based on high quality LPSs and carefully selected cabling, the differences are vanishingly small. For the average Statement user, spending a couple of thousand dollars getting the network absolutely right will pay back in spades, providing access to huge quantities of music with genuinely SOTA sound quality. For me, that’s what the Statement is all about.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Wow, what an amazing report! I've been championing servers in and out of this forum for years now, with usually the same outcome : magic! People rediscover their music collection, and with the aid of Tidal / Qobuz, expand it considerably.
And indeed, the Innuos products are the ones that, IMHO, present the smallest barrier of entry into this new world.
Enjoy!

Reactions: Blackmorec

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Alex, a couple of my favourite CD mail order websites have shut for good. I'm delighted Burning Shed are still running, and I'll buy from them regularly until I can't any longer.

And so this is finally pushing me over that fence sitting position into streaming. I very much like what I'm hearing from Blue58's SGM and Aqua Formula XHD combo. If I can get a reasonable facsimile of this w Innuos Zenith and e.g. Aqua La Voce, or eg Lumin A1, I'll be content.

What I don't want to do is end up having spent £10k on such a rig to incl cables etc, and find it's a lukewarm experience compared to my dedicated cdp which has never given me less than 100% satisfaction since I bought it 5.5 years ago.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Had the La Voce S3 here for a while, it's a fantastic performer. The earlier one was already a bargain at $3k, the new one, in spite of the new, much higher price, is still a fantastic value. And all the Innuos stuff is good value as well. See if you can find someone's used Zenith SE, as a lot of owners are upgrading to Statements, like our friend Blackmorec here.

SR-1

Sep 3, 2016
London, United Kingdom
While this review is about the Innuos Statement, the background starts a year earlier when I sold my Sonus Faber + vacuum tube based system (it sounded great but generated too much heat in my small room) and replaced it with a Magico, Devialet combination linked with Synergistic Research cabling. Due to the fact that Devialet was making a major revision to its entire line-up I had to wait 3 months for delivery. Idle hands as they say. I had an extra shelf on my rack so before I knew it I had a Michell Orbe/SME Type IV/Ortofon Candenza Black on the way!
With the system installed, the TT carefully set-up and calibrated and a small collection on mint EMI and Decca vinyl purchased from a UK dealer I was obtaining exceptional results, however my original goal had been an all-digital system for local and remote streaming. After doing some considerable research and auditioning I purchased an Innuos Zenith SE server. Roughly 48 hours after its installation the Zenith was producing utter magic….which literally redefined what I thought possible from digital. The sound was rich, immersive, highly focussed and multi-layered with incredible drive and impetus and an amazing ability to engage the listener. Music I knew well revealed new depths of spaciousness and detail, while instrumental timbre was so rich and pure it sent shivers down my spine.
I set about ripping my entire CD collection. Prior to the Zenith I’d been a track picker, like a chocolate box picker only with CD tracks. I had my favorites and that’s what I played. With the Zenith there was an alternative way to play music…..random. I could pick pretty much any attribute… album, artist, genre you name it; so I kept it simple. Random tracks. That first listening session was amazing….incredible, compelling music that I’d literally never heard before. 18 out of 20 tracks new and including some of the best music I’d ever heard. How could I have owned this music for 20 years or more and never heard it? The second night was the same, and the third and so on. Each evening at the end of listening I clicked the save button and captured the entire random selection as a play list. I was amazed. I had music that sounded better than I’d ever heard and essentially I had a huge, brand new collection of it. Literally enough for years to come. To say the Zenith SE was delivering value would be a major understatement given that it had just brought my entire CD collection to life.
I carried on like this for several weeks, considering myself a very lucky guy. With everything run in I now had a situation where the Zenith SE was consistently producing magical music that significantly outperformed my turntable, even when said music was streamed from Qobuz, making the turntable rather pointless. So when Innuos announced the Statement a quick call to my dealer was all it needed and the TT was gone. Vinyl collection anyone?
I spent the 8 months between ordering the Statement and taking delivery in tuning my network, essentially obtaining a super clean, dedicated 200-250 Mbps bit stream based entirely on Sean Jacob’s designed MC3 power supplies. Sean designs the power supplies for Innuos so essentially my system including network is now based on the same power supply design throughout.
Ripping CDs on the Zenith SE or Statement is an absolute breeze. Decide if you want Wav or Flac format (I chose Wav), plug in a USB disc drive of sufficient capacity for back-up purposes and proceed to feed it CDs. It will rip the CD to the built-in SSD in under 5 minutes (a little longer if you want silent ripping), quarantine any duplicates or bad copies, obtain and store all the meta data from the internet and produce a back-up to the USB drive at regular intervals. In ripping over 2,500 CDs it detected only a handful of bad tracks, which were indeed faulty…otherwise ripping was completely stress and error free.
Before the Statement arrived I made a final back-up of my library through the my-Innuos dashboard, so restoring my library was simply a matter of connecting the back-up disc, clicking the appropriate ‘restore’ wizard and the unit rebuilt my entire library on the Statement’s SSD. Totally straightforward. Connecting to Qobuz involved inputting my account password and I was immediately streaming my favorites.
So let’s now move on to the Statement’s performance. Essentially what you have is a turnkey, easy to operate server with by far the best sound I personally have ever heard, analog or digital. Now I have no doubt whatsoever that the sound I have could be improved….better speakers in a better room, superior cables, cleaner power maybe, earthing perhaps but I do not believe you’ll find a better source; certainly not a better digital source and you’d need to spend one heck of a lot if you wanted to even approach the sound quality via a turntable and records. My own fairly reasonable turntable, arm and cartridge got nowhere near close to the Statement’s sound quality.
Poorly engineered and mastered recordings will of course still reveal their shortcoming, but in an average collection like mine, these distasterpieces are extremely few and far between. The vast majority of recordings range from perfectly acceptable and a joy to listen to utterly mesmerizing and stunningly beautiful. With a good recording, the sound is fully enveloping, filling the entire room and beyond. The air between performers has an acoustic texture that changes from track to track, giving each piece its own unique character and identity. Music has a vibrancy, energy and immediacy that will instantly remind you of why we all love live performances. Brass has a brightness, intensity and vibrancy, words that may often suggest pain and listener fatigue that in the case of the Statement are meant to convey a sense of liveness, realness and excitement. Violins resonate with energy and complexity, clearly communicating the virtuosity of notes shaped by masters of the craft. With flute you have a sense of air moving through the instrument, of the instrument adding its unique timbre and character and of the musician… breathing, blowing air over the mouthpiece, the keys opening and closing. With every instrument you hear its unique colour, its timbre, its mechanical operation and sounds made by each musician, just like you would in a live recital. This may all sound like characteristics of the Statement, but they’re not. The sounds I describe are characteristics of the recording that the Statement extracts perfectly, preserving the musical signal in its entirety for your enjoyment. Vivid, vibrant, music that’s full of natural energy and tonal authenticity, that instantly attracts and engages the listener; communicating all the skills and prowess of the musicians. Music that makes you excited, sad, tense with anticipation or joyful at its sheer beauty. The Statement lets you enjoy more of the intrinsic qualities and nature of the music. What you’ll come to appreciate with the Statement is that for certain genre of music, presentation is just as important as the musical content and interpretation and you’ll appreciate how the skill and artistry of the recording engineer is an intrinsic part of the whole performance. Certain recordings seem to actually modify the air in your listening room
Recently I’ve been thoroughly enjoying classical music streamed through the Statement. Piano that energizes the room with its intensity, acoustic complexity, resonance and haunting decay; solo instruments like bassoon, oboe, or french horn rich with their timbral complexity and the acoustics of their recording venue. Orchestras where you have the best seat in the house, every instrument making its own distinct contribution with a presence and clarity that’ll remind you of the live event. And what makes the profound enjoyment of this music all the more remarkable is when you consider its source. Internet radio at 128kbps for heavens sake. There are of course some deficiencies but only in comparison to streaming red book 44.1 kHz 16 bit, which offers greater soundstage size, improved layering and height information and a certain weight and heft that leaves the 128kbps sounding a little light weight and less spectacular by comparison. So why even listen to Internet Radio? The programming material of Radio Swiss Classic is an absolute joy. I can listen for hours, marvelling at the sound quality and discovering tons of new music, all of which is to my taste. The sound quality of the Statement is so good that sacrificing a little to obtain such beautiful music is definitely a price worth paying and hardly a downside.
Of course, this level of performance does require that your network be in the same ballpark, quality-wise as the Statement. If your network relies on cheap SMPSs and consumer-grade cabling there will be a marked difference between local and remote streaming; but if your network is based on high quality LPSs and carefully selected cabling, the differences are vanishingly small. For the average Statement user, spending a couple of thousand dollars getting the network absolutely right will pay back in spades, providing access to huge quantities of music with genuinely SOTA sound quality. For me, that’s what the Statement is all about.
Nice review. Although you didn’t have the Zenith SE and Statement at the same time can you offer some thoughts on the areas where you feel the Statement improves significantly over the SE and where perhaps improvements are more subtle. Would you say the SE still matches or even surpasses tne Statement in some things. I ask as a happy SE owner who is wondering whether the increase in sound auality might justify the cost of upgrade (always a very personal judgement, I know).

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
Nice review. Although you didn’t have the Zenith SE and Statement at the same time can you offer some thoughts on the areas where you feel the Statement improves significantly over the SE and where perhaps improvements are more subtle. Would you say the SE still matches or even surpasses tne Statement in some things. I ask as a happy SE owner who is wondering whether the increase in sound auality might justify the cost of upgrade (always a very personal judgement, I know).
Good question!
The Zenith SE sounded brilliant. It started out being quite exceptional and by the time I finished tuning the network supply it was hard to imagine just what the Statement was going to do better. Quite honestly if you quit upgrading with the SE you’ll be amply rewarded each time you listen to music with exceptional tonal accuracy, SOTA pace, rhythm and timing and the best imaging I’d ever heard. The SE really has no shortcomings in its ability to produce entirely convincing music. That said, the Statement is a substantial and worthwhile upgrade, but it achieves this by adding qualities that you weren’t aware were missing and that I at least had never heard before in recorded music.
Let me give you an example. With the SE, Internet radio was most enjoyable to listen to. The music had good imaging, completely accurate tone and timbre and rhythm that got your feet tapping. The announcements had all the detail of breath sounds, etc. With the Statement the music took on a new intensity, frequency extremes were noticeably extended and yet more musical (shimmering and sparkling treble, sonorous wonderfully musical bass), imaging gained focus and depth and the announcers sounded more like real, live people. With the Statement listener engagement, already SOTA with the SE reaches new levels, drawing in and maintaining the listener’s involvement. The better a hi-if system gets the more it engages the listener without active concentration. The Statement takes this to a new level, realising complete engagement while completely relaxed. This alone is worth the asking price. You don’t have to concentrate at live events and you don’t need to with the Statement.
Four other differences I noticed were improved height imaging, a more holistic and atmosphere-rich acoustic, more clearly annunciated lyrics and greater clarity of subtle, background details. In summary I would say that with the SE there were really no shortcomings but the Statement takes all the SE’s great qualities and enhances them to surprisingly high levels that ultimately keep reminding you of how actual live events sound. I could happily live with an SE but feel that the Statement is certainly worth its asking price given the new standards of SQ it achieves and the genuine thrills it delivers.
I can guarantee one thing....if you love the way the SE sounds, you won’t regret your investment in the Statement for a single minute.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) For me, that’s what the Statement is all about.(...)

Am I correct assuming you are giving us opinions based on listening to the latest version of Devialet amplifiers?
Can I ask which model and how you are connecting the Inuous to the Devialet (USB or RJ45)? What are the speakers being used?

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
Am I correct assuming you are giving us opinions based on listening to the latest version of Devialet amplifiers?
Can I ask which model and how you are connecting the Inuous to the Devialet (USB or RJ45)? What are the speakers being used?
Yes, the amps are the latest version Devialet 440 (dual mono) Expert Pro Core Infinity connected with Synergistic Research Atmosphere X Ref USB. The speakers are Magico S1 MkII in a smallish, highly reflective, lossy room with large amounts of diffusion. I run 100% SAM which gives exceptional bass...the lossy room ensures there’s no overloading so bass is extended, neutral and exceptionally musical.

Reactions: CKKeung

Joel

Sep 13, 2013
www.audiophile-magazine.com
IMHO linear powersupplies to NAS/switch/router/modem is only the first step.
There are many more tweaks available.

I probably will start a new thread on this issue later today, because afterall this thread is on Innuos Statement Server.
;)

Definitely a great idea !

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Yes, the amps are the latest version Devialet 440 (dual mono) Expert Pro Core Infinity connected with Synergistic Research Atmosphere X Ref USB. The speakers are Magico S1 MkII in a smallish, highly reflective, lossy room with large amounts of diffusion. I run 100% SAM which gives exceptional bass...the lossy room ensures there’s no overloading so bass is extended, neutral and exceptionally musical.

Do you prefer the USB connection to the RJ45?

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
Good question and unfortunately one I can’t really answer. During the time I still had the Zenith SE I tried a number of different USB strategies including reclocking the USB output, different cables etc. By far the best was the option I selected.
I didn’t really evaluate ethernet as the opinions I sought all advised USB. With the Statement both ethernet and USB are highly optimised for noise, power and clock, so I would guess that the winner may well be a function of the DAC’s interfaces.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Your Devialet has a Roon-compatible Ethernet input. You should just get a cheap Ethernet cable and give that a try, might be worth your while :)
Just make sure the Ethernet port is enabled in the Devialet Configurator, and off you go. Roon should immediately locate it on your network.

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
I currently own an Innuos Zenith SE (very happy with it) and looking forward to receiving my Zenith Statement (which I ordered with Asiufy/Alma).

I tested and much preferred the sound of the Ethernet output of the SE into my Totaldac server (vs. the USB). So, for those who have compared ethernet cables, which is your preferred ethernet cable and why? Thanks,

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hello Blackmorec,

Thank you for these wonderful reports on the Statement and your comparisons with the SE!

With which DACs have used the SE and the Statement streamers? Which DAC are you using presently?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ron, are you ok? I mean, you're talking dacs and streamers. I can't help but be concerned.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing