A new star in 2019 : Innuos Statement Server

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I understand. It is disconcerting.

Thanks to Qobuz I just played Billy Joel, Simon & Garfunkel and Night on Bald Mountain at 24/96 in my car. It isn’t top tier vinyl or tape, but it sure is convenient!

By staying away from digital for 30 years look at the equipment and the technologies and the sound quality I can waltz into leisurely today for the first time!

Last edited:
Reactions: sbo6

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
Hello Blackmorec,

Thank you for these wonderful reports on the Statement and your comparisons with the SE!

With which DACs have used the SE and the Statement streamers? Which DAC are you using presently?
Hi Ron,
Thanks for the kind thought. I use Devialet’s Magic Wire DAC.

https://www.devialet.com/en-gb/expert-pro-dac-high-fidelity-sound/

A lot of people think of the Devialets as ‘lifestyle’ products due to their sleek design. IMO its one of cleverest, best sounding pieces of kit that also happens to synergize exceptionally well with my Magico speakers.

BTW, its time I revisited the Statement thread to update my feedback on how it sounds now everything is fully and completely run in.

Last edited:

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
In my enthusiasm for Innuos’s new Statement Server, it seems that I ignored a part of Audiophile errr folklore that has it that Mundorf Capacitors take an age to break in and sound their best.
During the optimization of my network I installed several Sean Jacobs designed and built DC3 LPSs, which contain a bunch of Mundorfs and the break-in period was always exactly the same. The system started sounding great, then went on a roller coaster ride of frequency extreme exaggeration followed by integration and improvement. The sound would change day to day until finally it settles down and sounds great over a couple of weeks ...until it suddenly doesn’t, giving you a final WTF couple of days before emerging into the sonic butterfly its promised to be but never quite fulfilled until its absolutely ready.
I obviously wrote the Statement review during that final lull in the break-in period, because not long after writing it I had a few days where doubts crept in. Nothing specific that you could put your finger on, just somehow less beguiling, less ‘soul connecting’, less ‘perfect’.....that “I’m sure it was sounding better” feeling.
So with that, I decided to give it a final little kick up its ass and left it playing music undisturbed and unlistenedto to 48 hours. The result? Hoo boy!
The first thing I noticed is that the system is considerably more enjoyable to listen to...so what got better? Hard to say....everything as far as I can hear. The system has a sense of ease, of rightness and it produces music ‘with great enthusiam’ . For example, I’ve never heard Van Morrison sound so expressive. The music has a pureness and clarity the level of which I’ve never heard before. No detail is masked, in fact there’s no masking or blurring at all....notes sound highly complex. Take horns for example. For a horn to sound live the dynamic shape of the note must be just right because its the dynamics that make horns sound like horns. Then there’s the tonality....horns have a curious blend of stridency and mellowness...get the combination just right and they’ll sound both exhilarating and gorgeous. Piano is another area where dynamics are key...tha hammer strike, the bloom of the note, the recording room’s response then the decay, sustained or not....get all that right and it really sounds like a live piano.

But talking about the music is one thing....listening to it via a Statement another thing entirely. Firstly tick the expectation box that says [Should sound better than anything I’ve ever heard before]. It does. In spades. Listening to a well set up Statement is like a ride in a Ferrari. Memorable....with dynamics and timing to die for. When you listen to the Statement you’ll realise that its the dynamics of the music that give it its emotion, its drive, its character and a lot of its pleasure. The clarity I’ve spoken about is realised in terms of tone, time and space, while the dynamic accuracy ensures the perfect, indeed sometimes magical rhythmic integration that the finest musicians achieve.

I play a lot of well known songs via the Statement and what always strikes me is how much better they all sound and how much more expressive they all are. Again an example, I’d never before realized what an absolute talent JJ Cale was when it came to laying down a laid back but incredibly rhythmical and engaging track. Ditto Van Morrison.

Downsides? Only one...but its fairly major. If I’m not careful the Statement will give me acid reflux from all the hours bouncing up and down in my listening chair.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
As an osteopath, I'd say you need to watch your discs and coccyx first.

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
As an osteopath, I'd say you need to watch your discs and coccyx first.
That’s a very good point. I’ve tried sitting still and its torture (actually its not possible) so I do need to look into this and get a better chair.

Last edited:

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
And here's the review:

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/innuos-statement-music-server/

"The Innuos Statement takes what the company did with the SE and goes considerably further in the quest to unearth maximum musical brilliance in any recording. I suspect that the more I use it the more I’ll hear, especially if paired with better conversion, amplification, and transduction. I am confident in saying that it has few – if any – peers in the network server field, which means that it is one of if not the best digital source you can buy today.?"

audiodoctor

Aug 16, 2010
We just got our demo Statement and wow it is impressive.

Our impression is that it is remarkable to hear what a gigantic difference in timing a server makes, our previous reference server, a $15k server never had the rhythemic qualities of the Statement.

Also the soundstage is just huge and there is a liquidity that we never heard before.

We have some ideas on some tweeks that should elevate the Statements performance to an even higher plane, we have a totally radical new USB cable with a built in reclocker on order along with another set of reference footers which we use on the rest of the system and these footers are a game changer after trying both Stillpoints and HRS these footers are in a totally different league.

If the Statement continues to improve it will be hard to imagine digital sounding this good.

Audio Doctor NJ

Audiocontrol, Anthem, April Music, Aqua Hi-Fi, Audio Magic, Acoustic System, Baetis, Cary Audio, Cabasse, Critical Mass, Conrad Johnson,Dali, ELAC, Electrcompaniet,Epson, Enklein Final Headphones, Furutech,iFi, Innuos,KEF, Krell, Legacy, Light Harmonic Davinci, Lumin, Manly Labs, Micromega, Merrill Wiliams, NAD, Naim, Norma,Nottihngham, Nuprime, Paradigm,Peachtree, Quad, Rega, Rethem, Solid Tech, Stein,Sony, Synthesis, Screen Innovations, T+A, Unison Reserch, Wireworld

[ http://audiodoctor.com/wp]

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
We just got our demo Statement and wow it is impressive.

Our impression is that it is remarkable to hear what a gigantic difference in timing a server makes, our previous reference server, a $15k server never had the rhythemic qualities of the Statement.

Also the soundstage is just huge and there is a liquidity that we never heard before.

We have some ideas on some tweeks that should elevate the Statements performance to an even higher plane, we have a totally radical new USB cable with a built in reclocker on order along with another set of reference footers which we use on the rest of the system and these footers are a game changer after trying both Stillpoints and HRS these footers are in a totally different league.

If the Statement continues to improve it will be hard to imagine digital sounding this good.

Audio Doctor NJ

Audiocontrol, Anthem, April Music, Aqua Hi-Fi, Audio Magic, Acoustic System, Baetis, Cary Audio, Cabasse, Critical Mass, Conrad Johnson,Dali, ELAC, Electrcompaniet,Epson, Enklein Final Headphones, Furutech,iFi, Innuos,KEF, Krell, Legacy, Light Harmonic Davinci, Lumin, Manly Labs, Micromega, Merrill Wiliams, NAD, Naim, Norma,Nottihngham, Nuprime, Paradigm,Peachtree, Quad, Rega, Rethem, Solid Tech, Stein,Sony, Synthesis, Screen Innovations, T+A, Unison Reserch, Wireworld

[ http://audiodoctor.com/wp]
I agree completely, as you can see from my posts

I also agree that footers could well make a positive difference. I have my Statement sitting on a Finite Elemente Pagoda Master Reference stand and so far I’ve found it usually sounds best with nothing between it and the resonance optimised maple shelf.

Regarding the USB cable, there i would sound a note of caution and most definitely try before you buy. The USB output of the Statement is HIGHLY optimised, far more so than is possible with a cable. Firstly it has a highly stable, ultra-low noise and ripple power supply, the regulator of which is placed right next to the clock oscillator input, so no DC cable. The clock itself is accurate to within 3ppb (0.000,000,003%) and is integrated into the USB port, so no clock cable Its hard to see how any re-clocking device is going to do a better, more accurate job given the accuracy of the Statement’s USB output and the care that’s gone into its engineering. I would have thought that the best solution would be a well matched USB cable between Statement and DAC.

Where the Statement will reward is with a fully optimised network feed. I have my network set up with Sean Jacob’s power supplies throughout, a dedicated 5GHz band with no bandwidth sharing a solid and constant <200mbps and Synergistic Research Atmosphere X Ref cabling throughout. All network devices are placed on dedicated vibration optimised stands or wall mounts. All internal power supplies have been replaced with SJ units

Popspin

Apr 28, 2015
The Statement continues to impress!! Mine has been used for about 6 weeks and the most appropriate descriptive word that comes to mind is “orgasmic!”
Just as Blackmorec joked about injuring himself from bouncing around in his chair, I can confirm that the sound from this server engages more than just your hands and feet, it engages your entire body!!
Blackmorec is way more eloquent than I am. He is spot on in his description of how musIc emanates from the Statement. The telltale evidence for me is that I can’t stop listening. I plan an hour listening session which commonly turns into 3 hours. I simply can’t believe the scale, detail, naturalness and massive soundstage I’m hearing.
I have downloaded my NAS music to the Stayement. The unit has functioned perfectly.
So far, so good!! Really good!!
popspin

Reactions: CKKeung

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
What is the MSRP of the Innuos Statement Server in U.S. Dollars?

Ken

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Ken,

$13750 for 1Tb
$14400 for 2Tb
$15150 for 4Tb

We'll have one on demo at Axpona in our room (#1426) and I believe there'll be others there too.

alex

Reactions: Alpinist

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Today Pedro de Sound Sevilla has been in my house with the Wadax Server and the Innuos Statement. First of all we listened to several files in my Melco Server, which would then be reproduced from the other two Server. We started with the Wadax and after leaving it for a while warming up we made a critical listening. It is a great Server. I would describe it as "organic", but with great definition, delicate and spacious. Better than the Melco? Yes, of course, but at four times the price it would be necessary to think a lot. Then we have placed the Innuos and here the great disappointment has taken place. They have designed the USB and RJ45 outputs, so close, that if your cables have "large" size connectors (or you plan to acquire ones) they simply can not be placed together. We have put the Göbel USB, and an ethernet AQ Cinnamon that had saved and could not connect the Innuos to the box Entreq Olympus Infinity with cable Entreq with USB connector (and that this is not too big). We have listened to a couple of files and the sound was good, but as we can not compare, we have left it on equal terms.
Frankly I can not understand this type of problems and less in a device of that price.
However Pedro had a surprise. It has brought the small DAC from Wadax, the Arcadia. And I can only say that the initial impression (it should be confirmed with a longer listening) is that it is an extraordinary DAC! Pedro has offered to leave it in my house, but since mine is only three months old I have preferred to say no, but now listening to mine, I do nothing but think how good that DAC sounded ........ ....

Attachments

• 3E09356D-F1CA-4C9F-BA1B-4A19E3DDBEBA.jpeg
    3E09356D-F1CA-4C9F-BA1B-4A19E3DDBEBA.jpeg
    645.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 5DFB9D89-1440-46CF-A490-80537EC07C05.jpeg
    5DFB9D89-1440-46CF-A490-80537EC07C05.jpeg
    649.5 KB · Views: 45
  • ED6B640D-7729-459C-9129-BC84B0428DD6.jpeg
    ED6B640D-7729-459C-9129-BC84B0428DD6.jpeg
    719.5 KB · Views: 46

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) However Pedro had a surprise. It has brought the small DAC from Wadax, the Arcadia. And I can only say that the initial impression (it should be confirmed with a longer listening) is that it is an extraordinary DAC! Pedro has offered to leave it in my house, but since mine is only three months old I have preferred to say no, but now listening to mine, I do nothing but think how good that DAC sounded ........ ....

Imagine if he had brought the Atalantis ... :)

I have listened to the whole Atlantis system once, unfortunately in a demo in very poor conditions - impossible to comment about its sound quality.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Today Pedro de Sound Sevilla has been in my house with the Wadax Server and the Innuos Statement. First of all we listened to several files in my Melco Server, which would then be reproduced from the other two Server. We started with the Wadax and after leaving it for a while warming up we made a critical listening. It is a great Server. I would describe it as "organic", but with great definition, delicate and spacious. Better than the Melco? Yes, of course, but at four times the price it would be necessary to think a lot. Then we have placed the Innuos and here the great disappointment has taken place. They have designed the USB and RJ45 outputs, so close, that if your cables have "large" size connectors (or you plan to acquire ones) they simply can not be placed together. We have put the Göbel USB, and an ethernet AQ Cinnamon that had saved and could not connect the Innuos to the box Entreq Olympus Infinity with cable Entreq with USB connector (and that this is not too big). We have listened to a couple of files and the sound was good, but as we can not compare, we have left it on equal terms.
Frankly I can not understand this type of problems and less in a device of that price.
However Pedro had a surprise. It has brought the small DAC from Wadax, the Arcadia. And I can only say that the initial impression (it should be confirmed with a longer listening) is that it is an extraordinary DAC! Pedro has offered to leave it in my house, but since mine is only three months old I have preferred to say no, but now listening to mine, I do nothing but think how good that DAC sounded ........ ....
So disappointing!

Innuos please takes note and consider to improve the design of the backplate/connector layout, at least for the Statement.
Many thanks!

Last edited:

Hieukm

Oct 2, 2016

Let me get this straight, you have just acquired the Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref and you got wow by Wadax? How would you describe their difference??

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Yeah that's right. The Arcadia was placed at the end of the session and I could not do an exhaustive listening (nor did I want to leave it at home to do it). When I am going to try a new device, one of the files that I like to listen to, are the last quartets of Beethoven / Melos Quarttet / Deutsche Grammophon. The sound in general is too bright. With the Lumin it was "hardly bearable", with Kassandra it was much better with more body and a less "digital" sound. With Arcadia it was fantastic. But that is only one aspect, we should listen more carefully.

Reactions: CKKeung

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Yes, I have been here as well. I had the CH Precision C1 DAC for a full day demo at home before I got the Kassandra.. I compared it with my then Audio Note (UK) DAC 5. I loved the C1 for 1/2 hour, and gradually it began to fall apart after that. By the end if the day I was clock watching for them to take it away.

This I think is a dilemma with many digital products. In the case of the C1, it was the detail I was stuck with. But that didn't sit well with the rest of the image, and in some material became too harsh and synthetic to my ears. So. like a sugar rush, it is nice for a treat, but sickly if there is too much of it.

In my DAC demos I thus tried to keep them in my system for a day a least. And spending this kind of money, even more so. R2R DACs tend to not throw things at you, or impress immediately. But you find they are very natural sounding and zero fatigue. It is also how I find SETs v SS amplifiers as well.

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
Yeah that's right. The Arcadia was placed at the end of the session and I could not do an exhaustive listening (nor did I want to leave it at home to do it). When I am going to try a new device, one of the files that I like to listen to, are the last quartets of Beethoven / Melos Quarttet / Deutsche Grammophon. The sound in general is too bright. With the Lumin it was "hardly bearable", with Kassandra it was much better with more body and a less "digital" sound. With Arcadia it was fantastic. But that is only one aspect, we should listen more carefully.
Hi nonesup.
From which source did you listen Wadax Arcadia DAC?
Regards.

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
Hi Nonsup,
I’m guessing you were using the wrong USB connector. There are 3 USB connectors on a Statement; 2 standard USBs mounted on the mother board and the hi-zoot 3ppb clocked and power-supplied USB DAC connector on the opposite side of the player (LHS viewed from the back). There is no problem in mounting whatever cables you want.

This is a note to anyone using a Statement....the standard mother board USBs are for downloading and back-up to USB devices and NOT for connection to your DAC. The DAC connection is ca 15-20cm away from Router RJ45 sockets on the opposite side of the player.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing