A plea in favour of cd

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I just read a comment on another forum stating an audiophile with a very impressive system feels the sound from his cdp is worse when choosing a track via remote control. He always chooses manually.
Maybe this chap is mistaking his cdp for a tt.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
A sidebar, it showed me I need to be open minded too, but in the opposite direction. I certainly need to break my self imposed vaguely irrational midset and start to embrace streaming. Not because I'm gonna love the SQ or "journey"/interface. But because I stupidly disadvantage myself from the simple outcome of enjoying more music if I don't get involved.

This x 1000!

I canceled my Tidal and Spotify accounts and am Qobuz only. SQ no different to me between Tidal and Qobuz.

I miss Tower records immensely, specifically the one on Sunset in Hollywood. There was always side entertainment going on inside and outside the store, never a dull moment. They also had the Rock and Roll swap meet up there that was fun.
At one point they had a separate building across the street for classical only that was always busy.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I just read a comment on another forum stating an audiophile with a very impressive system feels the sound from his cdp is worse when choosing a track via remote control. He always chooses manually.

I've never heard that before. They should ban all remote controls then; people would be more active, exercising more, be more healthy.
Anyway, now they use their phones for remote controlled operations. ...Talking to them via Bluetooth commands.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Funny. What I did hear in the beginning days of CD transports is that it sounds better with display off. Not sure if this makes any sense either.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Funny. What I did hear in the beginning days of CD transports is that it sounds better with display off. Not sure if this makes any sense either.

That makes a lot of sense. Depends on how isolated the display circuitry is from the audio circuitry, or if they share circuitry.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
I feel it's important to mention how far cd's have evolved in 40 years. Whilst garden variety cd's haven't changed much as far as the physical media is concerned, audiophiles are spoiled for choice with new mastering processes and higher quality media incl: UHQCD, HDCD, SHM, SHM Platinum, XRCD24, K2HD & DXD. And there are great recording studios like Chesky, Mofi and many others committed to producing audiophile quality cd's for us to enjoy. I'm really enthusastic about the future of the cd! :)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Bodhi, I never jumped on the wagon re all these variants. Heck, I only have a few SACDs, all of them hybrid cds.

There are a couple of things. First, I wish my cdp played the audio tracks off Blu Ray and dvd-v.

But most of all, I wish cds were always in the form of laminated board covers, w disc holder integral. I hate the Jewel Case with a vengeance. I have a few cds w fantastic packaging, and I know part of the lack of love for the cd from the 100% converts to streaming is saying adios to those loathsome plastic cases.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
@spiritofmusic, Yeah Oppo was one of the few manufacturers committed to supporting DVD-A (along with bluray & SACD). My next transport/dac combo will support RBCD, SACD & DVD-R, whilst my next high end Bluray player will support all current disc formats, incl: DVD-A.

The highest quality cd's and cases i've ever seen are the rare Crystal cd's which cost between $1-$2k each! I saw one presented in a beautiful wood box. I guess if you're laying down that much cash, you'd expect nothing less :eek:.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Bodhi, I never jumped on the wagon re all these variants. Heck, I only have a few SACDs, all of them hybrid cds.

There are a couple of things. First, I wish my cdp played the audio tracks off Blu Ray and dvd-v.

But most of all, I wish cds were always in the form of laminated board covers, w disc holder integral. I hate the Jewel Case with a vengeance. I have a few cds w fantastic packaging, and I know part of the lack of love for the cd from the 100% converts to streaming is saying adios to those loathsome plastic cases.

You can buy an Oppo 205 online ... eBay.

The jewel cases of SACDs, a bunch of them, and as well the ones for DVD Audios, are nice.
Yes they are smaller than Long Play records, but many are multichannel in addition to Hi-res stereo.

For CD cases I like the cardboard ones, laminated or not, with integral center disc holder or not (slipping the disc inside I don't mind...it reminds me of my LPs...a nice feeling, with a more delicate gentle touch into romantic nostalgia yesterday).

* Brand new CDs are also more affordable than brand new LPs. ...In general, from general music stores. Both are sweet music to the ears of music lovers all across the four corners of the globe.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
As cd enters the twilight of it's existence in the UK and US, I'm v much enjoying buying special edition career retrospective cd boxsets on a fair number of my fave bands, Steve Wilson remasters of Yes, JTull, KCrimson especially high up in my estimation. Fantastic packaging, live concerts overviews and deep cuts/rarities, all in highly collectable form.

And w my cdp being so persuasive, competitive w my tt, I'm still not compelled to get into streaming right now. Indeed there are more cds being released in my fave genres than I can easily buy.

And my nagging doubts on elements of streaming SQ seem to be at least partly addressed in John's video that I posted.

I will always remain amazed that cds have so died a death in the US and UK.

wil

Jul 22, 2015
On Darko’s findings: I wonder if the better sound quality he hears from his cd transport over streaming would be mitigated if his streaming signal path included a top quality audiophile ethernet switch, ethernet cables and a fiber optic isolator (like the Gigafoil).

It seems to me that that any gap between the two is getting smaller all the time.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I really don't know. Maybe you're right. But it's a fascinating irony that as streaming was touted as the way to eliminate the great evil that is transport-related jitter, maybe streaming-related capture of noise is a greater evil.

Cue streaming fans to tell me I don't know my ar$e from my elbow.

Reactions: Bodhi

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
View attachment 50329

I had not used my 18 years old Bedini ultra clarifier II for the last 5 years.

Then I had it worked last night.

Oh my god, CD treated turn out to sound more open and transparent.

I can not go back to Audioprism Stoplight but decided to try more CD cleaning solutions.

I placed an order of " Essence of Music Pro " cleaning solution based upon some rave review.

https://www.dagogo.com/essence-music-cd-treatment-review/

Redbook CD is not dead yet.

I had bought more than 300 classical redbook CDs for the last 2 weeks at bargain price of 2$ per CDs.

There are so many tweaks to make CD's sound better, but the best one is to add a good reclocker and drive a DAC. Then the CD no longer matters.

Steve N.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
I will always remain amazed that cds have so died a death in the US and UK.
It's a very different situation in the Asia Pacific (incl: Australia). Distribution of cd's is still very healthy in bricks and mortar stores, online stores & at band gigs/festivals. Though by the same token, vinyl is enjoying a renaissance.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I am v pleased to hear that. With the trend for collectors boxsets and band career retrospectives/live concerts & rarities anthologies, there's life in the old 5" silver dog yet.

Reactions: Bodhi

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
The collector part is what is taking up so much space in my house and has me rethinking the whole audiofool hobby.
When I recently packed up all my belongings and had all my Records/CD's/DVD's/Cassettes and even VHS all in a pile it was ridiculous. So I then started looking at streaming services and with the exception of very few discs, its all available online.

There will be a massive re-evaluation when I set up my next room. Paying a monthly fee to have millions of titles at your finger tips, means more money for equipment! :D

The nostalgia of it all is wearing off very quickly with me, but there will always be a turntable and CD player in my system to go along with whatever digital path I follow.

And of course yesterday I bought more vinyl and Record Store Day is Saturday and I talked a local shop into "looking out after" my selections for 8:00 am.

I need help!
For me that problem triples with a large collection on 78's, LP's and CD'S..

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
@spiritofmusic,

The highest quality cd's and cases i've ever seen are the rare Crystal cd's which cost between $1-$2k each! I saw one presented in a beautiful wood box. I guess if you're laying down that much cash, you'd expect nothing less :eek:.

I actually purchased 2 of these.... that included the LP... SACD version and the master files that they were produced with. Took them over to MikeL's place and had an afternoon of listening with others. ............. Waste of Money! Been trying to unload them ever since.........

Now for someone that is obsessive with the production of CD's, look no further than the late Winston Ma. We would sit in the studio for hours comparing different blanks.... different burn speeds.... and even different different batch #'s. I mastered 24 titles for FIM... 3 titles didn't make it into production because he didn't like the way the MAM-A "altered" the sound. I couldn't hear a difference.

Don't get me started on having to remaster 5 titles that he paid thousands of $$$ for (and a trips to Tokyo) because he didn't like the way they sounded when he played them back on his home system!!!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: CKKeung and Bodhi

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing