A plea in favour of cd

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I actually purchased 2 of these.... that included the LP... SACD version and the master files that they were produced with. Took them over to MikeL's place and had an afternoon of listening with others. ............. Waste of Money! Been trying to unload them ever since.........
Hello Bruce,
May I know which two?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I think one is "River of Sorrow"... or something like that. Can't remember the other...
IC. It's this one.
You like traditional Chinese music?

M074A-XGL.jpg
Expensive! USD1.5k. o_O
I guess not very difficult to sell it on eBay.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
IC. It's this one.
You like traditional Chinese music?

View attachment 50752
Expensive! USD1.5k. o_O
I guess not very difficult to sell it on eBay.

That looks like one of them.

Winston Ma - First Impression Music, got me hooked on traditional Chinese Music. I mastered several of his albums.

Reactions: CKKeung

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
I miss Tower records immensely, specifically the one on Sunset in Hollywood.
At one point they had a separate building across the street for classical only that was always busy.

I'd forgotten about that.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
I actually purchased 2 of these.... that included the LP... SACD version and the master files that they were produced with. Took them over to MikeL's place and had an afternoon of listening with others. ............. Waste of Money! Been trying to unload them ever since.........

Now for someone that is obsessive with the production of CD's, look no further than the late Winston Ma. We would sit in the studio for hours comparing different blanks.... different burn speeds.... and even different different batch #'s. I mastered 24 titles for FIM... 3 titles didn't make it into production because he didn't like the way the MAM-A "altered" the sound. I couldn't hear a difference.

Don't get me started on having to remaster 5 titles that he paid thousands of $$$ for (and a trips to Tokyo) because he didn't like the way they sounded when he played them back on his home system!!!!!!
Bruce, you wisely pointed out the difference between the quality of the physical cd blank (which I was referencing in my post) and the importance of the recording and mastering process. The highest quality cd, whether a crystal cd, SHM Platinum or UHQCD does not guarantee good sound. FIM produce some outstanding Ultra HDCD's with 32-bit mastering and 192kHz bandwidth.

Thinking briefly about remasters; there's only so much you can do with a turd of a recording, and often times its best left well alone. As Barack Obama said - "You can put lipstick on a pig...it's still a pig!"

Last edited:
Reactions: thomask and Bruce B

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing