A question for those who have heard Zellaton speakers

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Just for the avoidance of doubt, which Bohne model was the one that did it for you, Justin?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I wanted to tell you of my experience in Munich last year in the Zellaton room. I had always wanted to hear them, and they did not disappoint on any measure. I visited the room three times during the three days This room and speakers were a standout even though the speakers on display were one level below the Statements. The speakers sounded electrostatic fast but with totally integrated sound due to all of the drivers using the same technology. The second time visiting the room they were playing German Techno music. It clearly did now sound like a Strauss Waltz. The person who they were doing the demo for wanted it loud. Those speakers got up and rocked with no distortion and did it fast and sounded like a single driver. I quickly took out my iPhone which has the "Decibels" app and it measured 98-99db consistantly. IT was loud and not straining the speaker or the amplifier. It was impressive. Many speakers when they get loud, loose the sound, but the speakers were very composed and loud. So if you have any doubt about producing loud music put yourself at ease. I think part of the secret is that all of the drivers use the same cones. I never realized how important that is to a consistent sound.

Top to bottom coherence is what my previous Acoustat full range electrostats did so well...same membrane is doing all frequency ranges.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
I'm glad you liked your Acoustats. I had the 1+1's for several years approx. 30+ years ago as part of being a serious hobbyist. But then what do I know.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Just for the avoidance of doubt, which Bohne model was the one that did it for you, Justin?

Here's what I wrote at the time just after the 2018 show:

"Slow on this because I got stuck in Germany - flight cancelled due to lightning at the airport, got put up in the Novatel Schwabing which was nice, as I had a business class ticket, therefore the room was appropriate to my elevated status as a human being
For some reason when I booked the flight they gave me a free business class upgrade.

Bad boy bass coverage for this and the next few posts.

In many ways this was my favourite room, with a great host. Past 4pm, he'd play anything that wasn't classical, Diana Krall, or any other typical audiophile bullshit. I award him 3,981,231 brownie points because of that statement.

He was simply asking for requests, and honouring them with TIDAL. TRINNOV gear was being used in here, but given the copious amounts of bass, I wonder what the settings really were.

Anyway, I asked for Etherwood's "Begin By Letting Go" and the bass literally ripped with scale and weight. The picture doesn't show the other sub on the other side of the room. The host loved it, as well as the third track. I encourage anyone to check it out if you like electronic music.

The speakers are a bit like a short Apogee like ribbon plus a big bass cone. Lots of resolution from that implementation, if a little bit edgy, but not enough to really spoil it from being entertaining, involving and generally great fun at high volume, and we were playing loud.

The host came from Wales, and "just likes loud music". I'm with him
How he got to demoing German speakers I don't know.

Anyway, the speakers are Bohne.

There was no audiophile pretence in this room. Just bloody loud near dance club like levels, and if you like going to dance clubs, live DJs, Orbital live etc etc then these speakers fit the bill for trying to satisfy that sort of experience at home.

Thoroughly enjoyable."

And it was BB-18 with two of the black driver subs. I only took one pic for some strange reason.

There are three Bohne videos on YouTube, two playing rock. But trust me the videos don't do that system justice. You had to be in there.

DSC04029.JPG

Last edited:

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
And here's what I wrote about the JBL 4367:

"Talking of bad boy bass (again!), there's one I missed.

The JBL4367. The ones to the far left and right.

Copious bass playing Walking On The Moon by DubXanne (obvious Police cover), and on stacks of bass on other material too. Great party speakers, able to handle high SPL without issues. Spacious sound staging and imagery reasonably precise. Very good at what they are obviously designed to do. Much, much, much better than the JBL Everest DD6700 sounded again with Mark Levinson amps which I have heard twice.

How the hell can that be the case? Definitely seemed so to me and each time I went in they were definitely getting more attention from punters than the DD6700 ever did.

Really curious.

EDIT: Just looked up the price - about £12K. In the scheme of things at Munich that's pretty good value, but only if you get off on the parameters that make this speaker interesting i.e. bass and high SPL. Reggae and high impact electronic lovers should check them out if poss.

They are only really going to work in a large room. Anything less will get over pressurised and will need half a tonne of acoustic traps."

Rob181

Oct 1, 2014
Here's what I wrote at the time just after the 2018 show:

"Slow on this because I got stuck in Germany - flight cancelled due to lightning at the airport, got put up in the Novatel Schwabing which was nice, as I had a business class ticket, therefore the room was appropriate to my elevated status as a human being
For some reason when I booked the flight they gave me a free business class upgrade.

Bad boy bass coverage for this and the next few posts.

In many ways this was my favourite room, with a great host. Past 4pm, he'd play anything that wasn't classical, Diana Krall, or any other typical audiophile bullshit. I award him 3,981,231 brownie points because of that statement.

He was simply asking for requests, and honouring them with TIDAL. TRINNOV gear was being used in here, but given the copious amounts of bass, I wonder what the settings really were.

Anyway, I asked for Etherwood's "Begin By Letting Go" and the bass literally ripped with scale and weight. The picture doesn't show the other sub on the other side of the room. The host loved it, as well as the third track. I encourage anyone to check it out if you like electronic music.

The speakers are a bit like a short Apogee like ribbon plus a big bass cone. Lots of resolution from that implementation, if a little bit edgy, but not enough to really spoil it from being entertaining, involving and generally great fun at high volume, and we were playing loud.

The host came from Wales, and "just likes loud music". I'm with him
How he got to demoing German speakers I don't know.

Anyway, the speakers are Bohne.

There was no audiophile pretence in this room. Just bloody loud near dance club like levels, and if you like going to dance clubs, live DJs, Orbital live etc etc then these speakers fit the bill for trying to satisfy that sort of experience at home.

Thoroughly enjoyable."

And it was BB-18 with two of the black driver subs. I only took one pic for some strange reason.

There are three Bohne videos on YouTube, two playing rock. But trust me the videos don't do that system justice. You had to be in there.

View attachment 60898
What speakers are those on your photo

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing