A Relentless Evening

Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Last evening I had the opportunity to see and hear Dan D'Agostino's latest offering the Relentless amps. The evening began with the invitees gathering at a local restaurant for drinks and dinner. There we had time to mingle with Dan D'Agostino, Karen Sumner President of Transparent Audio and Mike Latvis of Harmonic Resolution Systems. When we sat down to eat Dan took the opportunity to explain how the design of the Relentless is unlike any other amp on the market. I am not sufficiently technical to do justice to his explanation.

After dinner we drove back to Paragon where we had our first opportunity to see and hear these amazing amps. Until you have the opportunity to see them in person you probably cannot grasp how massive the Relentless are. I have attached a photo where you can see a Momentum amp sitting just behind these monsters. They look like toys. Volume wise I think you could fit "at least" 6 possibly 8 Momentum amps into that of the Relentless. The industrial design and fit and finish is as fine as "I" have ever seen on a audio product. The amps were sitting on HRS stands custom designed for the Relentless. Mike's team did a excellent job in fit and function.

The system we listened to consisted of:
D'Agostino Relentless Amps
D'Agostino Momentum Pre amp
D'Agostino Phono stage
Clearaudio Statment Turntable system
dCS Vivaldi stack
Transparent Opus cabling
Wilson XLF's

Each small group had the opportunity to hear several different tracks. One of those used was a Dave Wilson recording of "Liberty Fanfare". I have never heard a more realistic presentation of an orchestra. The amps handled it all so effortlessly.

They are big, beautiful, brawny and for those fortunate enough to have the space and funds probably their last amps.

Attachments

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Last evening I had the opportunity to see and hear Dan D'Agostino's latest offering the Relentless amps. The evening began with the invitees gathering at a local restaurant for drinks and dinner. There we had time to mingle with Dan D'Agostino, Karen Sumner President of Transparent Audio and Mike Latvis of Harmonic Resolution Systems. When we sat down to eat Dan took the opportunity to explain how the design of the Relentless is unlike any other amp on the market. I am not sufficiently technical to do justice to his explanation.

After dinner we drove back to Paragon where we had our first opportunity to see and hear these amazing amps. Until you have the opportunity to see them in person you probably cannot grasp how massive the Relentless are. I have attached a photo where you can see a Momentum amp sitting just behind these monsters. They look like toys. Volume wise I think you could fit "at least" 6 possibly 8 Momentum amps into that of the Relentless. The industrial design and fit and finish is as fine as "I" have ever seen on a audio product. The amps were sitting on HRS stands custom designed for the Relentless. Mike's team did a excellent job in fit and function.

The system we listened to consisted of:
D'Agostino Relentless Amps
D'Agostino Momentum Pre amp
D'Agostino Phono stage
Clearaudio Statment Turntable system
dCS Vivaldi stack
Transparent Opus cabling
Wilson XLF's

Each small group had the opportunity to hear several different tracks. One of those used was a Dave Wilson recording of "Liberty Fanfare". I have never heard a more realistic presentation of an orchestra. The amps handled it all so effortlessly.

They are big, beautiful, brawny and for those fortunate enough to have the space and funds probably their last amps.
Thanks Jim for your report. It sounds like you had a wonderful evening!

Best,
Ken

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I bet the sound was fabulous. Out of curiosity has Dan given the MSRP yet. I hear they are quite pricey

Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I bet the sound was fabulous. Out of curiosity has Dan given the MSRP yet. I hear they are quite pricey
Steve
The sound was fabulous. The size surprised everyone including the guy who has purchased them. The MSRP is $250k. I initially did not want to post that because I didn't want to turn this into "are they worth it" thread. I do know they are far above my comfort level. That doesn't mean I wouldn't want them.

Steve Williams

That was the price I heard as well several months ago.

I’m also interested in weight and power output. Those things are huge. Glad Paragon continues to be on the leading edge

Jun 17, 2014
USA

DaveyF

Aug 1, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Apparently the shipping container weighs over 900 lbs for these monsters! Reminds me a little of the crazy amp that Dan debuted while at Krell. I think it was called the Master Reference amp...or something like that, it was as big as a small refrigerator. One thing you have to say for Dan...he never does anything with much constraint when it comes to his reference product.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Thanks for posting. I've always thought the amps are the most critical part of a system.

May 30, 2010
Portugal
Nice to know you enjoyed them - I am hoping to travel to listen to the same system sometime in November.

Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
In size or price?

Ken
Ken
I have a couple of rooms where the size of the amps would not seem out of place. My current 2-channel room would be marginal for the size of the amps and I am guessing that it would very easy to overpower this room. Of the two rooms here they would no seem overly conspicuous only one of those would get a thumbs-up from my wife. As far as price there yes the are above my exceed comfort level.

Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan

asiufy

Member Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Awesome! That must've been quite something :)

We're putting together something similar in our neck of the woods, so stay tuned!

cheers,
alex

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Ken
I have a couple of rooms where the size of the amps would not seem out of place. My current 2-channel room would be marginal for the size of the amps and I am guessing that it would very easy to overpower this room. Of the two rooms here they would no seem overly conspicuous only one of those would get a thumbs-up from my wife. As far as price there yes the are above my exceed comfort level.
Thanks Jim,

Well it’s great that you have a room large enough to hold the Relentless but the price would certainly be a non-starter for me too. Anyway, you are in a great place with your Momentum’s. My dream amps would be the Dartzeel 468’s but they’ll have to remain a dream. I’m actually very happy with my Vandy M7-HPA monoblocks, nice synergy there. The Relentless and the Wilson Chronosonic would probably challenge for the world’s best system.

Best,
Ken

Steve Williams

Apparently the shipping container weighs over 900 lbs for these monsters! Reminds me a little of the crazy amp that Dan debuted while at Krell. I think it was called the Master Reference amp...or something like that, it was as big as a small refrigerator. One thing you have to say for Dan...he never does anything with much constraint when it comes to his reference product.
that was exactly what it was called and at the time it was very expensive at $125K.

Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Thanks Jim,

Well it’s great that you have a room large enough to hold the Relentless but the price would certainly be a non-starter for me too. Anyway, you are in a great place with your Momentum’s. My dream amps would be the Dartzeel 468’s but they’ll have to remain a dream. I’m actually very happy with my Vandy M7-HPA monoblocks, nice synergy there. The Relentless and the Wilson Chronosonic would probably challenge for the world’s best system.

Best,
Ken
I heard the Vandy 7's paired with 7 power amps at RMAF a couple of years ago. Excellent sound so I know where you are coming from.

DaveyF

Aug 1, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Awesome! That must've been quite something :)

We're putting together something similar in our neck of the woods, so stay tuned!

cheers,
alex
Alex, that will be an interesting meet.

Only problem is that most of our wife’s wont allow a second mortgage to be placed in order to buy them....:(

So maybe just invite only those folks who are single, lol.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio convertors (DACS), turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing