A streamer without a DAC

Danny2dinners

May 12, 2020
East Midlands UK
I have recently bought a mains conditioner and replaced my power cables and my digital sources now sound amazing! The CD player going into the Qutest has made me realise how great a CD can sound. The issue is that now my Node 2 streamer sounds pretty poor by comparison. I listen to most music on Tidal and the MQA tracks sound very good but CD quality tracks sound nowhere near as good as my CD player
What I am interested in is a streamer to listen to tidal that does the MQA decoding (the Qutest doesn't do this) that doesn't have its own DAC, as this would be redundant. I have no real need (as yet I suppose...) for playing music from a computer so I'm not too bothered about this.
Does anyone know of a piece of equipment that would do this job for me? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
D2D

tmallin

WBF Technical Expert
May 19, 2010
Chicagoland
Unfortunately, full MQA decoding/unfolding requires a DAC to accomplish the last step. Once fully decoded/unfolded, MQA files must remain in the analog domain. Thus, you will not find a DAC-less streamer which will perform full MQA unfolding/decoding. You will need both a streamer and and MQA-compliant DAC, or a streamer which has an internal DAC which is MQA-compliant.

Danny2dinners

May 12, 2020
East Midlands UK
Unfortunately, full MQA decoding/unfolding requires a DAC to accomplish the last step. Once fully decoded/unfolded, MQA files must remain in the analog domain. Thus, you will not find a DAC-less streamer which will perform full MQA unfolding/decoding. You will need both a streamer and and MQA-compliant DAC, or a streamer which has an internal DAC which is MQA-compliant.

Oh. My Node 2 seems to send 96Hz to my Qutesy which I thought was not MQA compliant. Have I got this all wrong?

Danny2dinners

May 12, 2020
East Midlands UK

Oh. My Node 2 seems to send 96Hz to my Qutest which I thought was not MQA compliant. Have I got this all wrong?

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
Oh. My Node 2 seems to send 96Hz to my Qutest which I thought was not MQA compliant. Have I got this all wrong?
The BS Node will do the first unfold on MQA files (MQA Core) and that resolution (up to 96kHz) is then output via its digital output to an external DAC. The Node's analog outputs provide full MQA decoding, but using its digital output is limited to MQA Core decoding since the final unfold is DAC specific.

Danny2dinners

May 12, 2020
East Midlands UK
I see. So if I get a streamer that does the first bit I will be in the same position as I am now with the Node going into my Qutest (which sounds pretty good to my ears). I have no intention of replacing the Qutest so it looks like I'll never get the full MQA experience, but if I can get a streamer that sounds as good as my CD player going into the Qutest I'll be more than happy.
I was looking at an Auralic Aries and a Moon MiND. Any thoughts or other suggestions?

Last edited:

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
If you are on a budget try to locate a used Autalic Aries Mini or an original Aries. If you can afford a little more serious streamer the Lumin U1 Mini is great - it’s my best selling Lumin product.

Bluesound makes decent products but they dont scale well with better systems.

Danny2dinners

May 12, 2020
East Midlands UK
If you are on a budget try to locate a used Autalic Aries Mini or an original Aries. If you can afford a little more serious streamer the Lumin U1 Mini is great - it’s my best selling Lumin product.

Bluesound makes decent products but they dont scale well with better systems.

I agree with that. The Node is good but as I've upgraded it has been left behind.
I do though want the MQA part of the streamer as it does sound better but possibly more importantly makes the light on the top of my DAC change colour. I don't think that Auralic does this. I may be wrong. Would it be worth 3 times the price for the Lumin? I'd love to be able to give them a listen at home to see.

Danny2dinners

May 12, 2020
East Midlands UK
I agree with that. The Node is good but as I've upgraded it has been left behind.
I do though want the MQA part of the streamer as it does sound better but possibly more importantly makes the light on the top of my DAC change colour. I don't think that Auralic does this. I may be wrong. Would it be worth 3 times the price for the Lumin? I'd love to be able to give them a listen at home to see.

I have found a used Auralic Aries £700, a used Moon MiND £1100 or a new Lumin U1 Mini £1700. At present, and for the foreseeable future, I would be using it to stream from Tidal.
Which would you (anyone reading this) go for?

Kenc

Jan 3, 2019
Toronto, Canada
I have no first hand experience with the Moon product, but I would take the U-1 Mini over the Aries (both of which I've owned). The U-1 Mini vs the Aries G1 is a closer match - both price wise and sonically. I've also owned both and still own the Lumin product...with a SBooster LPS. I do like the Auralic Lightning app better than the Lumin app but you needn't be concerned about this if you are using Roon.

Last edited:

Danny2dinners

May 12, 2020
East Midlands UK
I have no first hand experience with the Moon product, but I would take the U-1 Mini over the Aries (both of which I've owned). The U-1 Mini vs the Aries G1 is a closer match - both price wise and sonically. I've also owned both and still own the Lumin product...with a SBooster LPS. I do like the Auralic Lightning app better than the Lumin app but you needn't be concerned about this if you are using Roon.

Thanks for your opinions Kenc,
I am also looking at the limetree bridge (new @ £750) and nice and small (I have limited space) which seems to do what I want it to.
I think I may be willing to give up the MQA facility if the piece of kit is good enough. A bit more research is required...

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com

The U1 Mini is cheaper and superior in sound to the Aries G1. The Aries only beats the Lumin in weight, multi color screen, and having WiFi. Digital hash is far, far less in the Lumin products.

Danny2dinners

May 12, 2020
East Midlands UK
The U1 Mini is cheaper and superior in sound to the Aries G1. The Aries only beats the Lumin in weight, multi color screen, and having WiFi. Digital hash is far, far less in the Lumin products.

I've gone for a Limetree Bridge in the end. Cheaper and will (hopefully) do what I want it to. Thanks for the advice.
D2D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing