A weekend with Oliver

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Last weekend Oliver came to visit us and brought my 2 power cable 20A for M1 and some cables for my friend that ordered to him,5 power cable,speaker cable,2 XLR and 4 jumper .
My friend tried and listen many top cable and at the end bought Gobel
We had a long suturday

At 9.20 i and my 2 friends were in Milan to pick up Oliver in his hotel and went to my friend,Audiograffiti,Italian distributor of Spectral,Boulder,Lyra,Basis,Graham,Lansche,Mit,Merging,Viva,ecc,ecc,so i wanted he knows Oliver and could be became his distributor in Italy.

We enjoy to listen many system and we tried in the system Merging,Boulder,Lansche,MIT,XlR Gobel vs one Mit of 8/9.000 euro,i don't remember which model,and Gobel was much better in bass control and deep,dynamic on piano and natural voices,then we tried Goble power cable vs Mit top power cable and here also much difference than the 2 XLR.

We had a fantastic lunch in a top restaurant offered by Audiograffiti,with Champagne,top red wine,Culatello and Vitello Tonnato,Rice with Porcini mushroom,and special Pappardelle.

Oliver left a set of the cable to let Audiograffiti try next days.
Audiograffiti also want to go to Oliver company to listen well his speaker in november.

Left Audiograffiti we went to listen the system of my 2 friends,one with Bergmann,Atlas,CH,Alexandria and other with Micro,Riviera and Wilson X1,very very good also this 2 system.
Also my 2 friends are saving money to buy Oliver cables.

Then we had another good dinner with special wine of our place and very good food.
At 10.30 Oliver came to my home to bring cable and listen system with Thorens,Swiss Physics and Quad Corner Ribbon.

At 11.30 he left my home going to Milan,one hour from my home to his hotel.

A very fantastic,nice,enjoyable day

Evening dinner,also come the nice,beautiful,fine wife of Oliver,carolin

And Oliver in my home with the cables my friend bought

Attachments

• IMG_1056.jpg
    IMG_1056.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 107
  • IMG_8265.jpg
    IMG_8265.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_1060.jpg
    IMG_1060.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 111

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Hope you guys had fun. He is a great guy and so are you Gianni.
Enjoy

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Fantastic story and great photos. Very good to read about Goebel cables which I find very interesting.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I am jocking
My friend of Riviera,Luca Chiomenti partner and designer,25years ago Imai of Audiotekne told me Luca is the best tube designer and also the best to built output transformer that he knows,so are very expert in Hifi,and Luca told me after visiting Goebel company,that Oliver is one of the few on high end very expert for him

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I forgot also
After lunch we went to mr Pozzi fantastic home,Audiograffiti owner,to drink some and we listen
Pre Spectral Crosby with YBA Signature mono and Soundlab A1,he use this system for audio for television in his big living room
Then a small old from 1957 JBL mini Paragon with Marantz 8B
And in the dedicated room
Basis Work of Art with Superarm 9 and Atlas,Spectral 30 SV and DMA 500 mono,the only pair in all Europe with Magneplanar 20.1
He has also Jbl Paragon but this time was not connected

Reactions: ack

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I forgot also
After lunch we went to mr Pozzi fantastic home,Audiograffiti owner,to drink some and we listen
Pre Spectral Crosby with YBA Signature mono and Soundlab A1,he use this system for audio for television in his big living room
Then a small old from 1957 JBL mini Paragon with Marantz 8B
And in the dedicated room
Basis Work of Art with Superarm 9 and Atlas,Spectral 30 SV and DMA 500 mono,the only pair in all Europe with Magneplanar 20.1
He has also Jbl Paragon but this time was not connected

I love his soundlabs the best

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Gian, I am more interested in dishes you have for lunch and dinner.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Really was top quality
Pozzi told one time brought in this restaurant one who produce records similar classic record of Los Angeles and every birthday he comes from Los Angeles to come to this restaurant

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
thank goodness he has changed the old little Spectral who was driving the Soundlabs. They was terrible.

I heard with spectral. I thought the spectral suited the soundlabs well.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Although the PX and torroid II improvements changed the panorama, older Soundlab's needed a lot of power - the Jeff Rowland Model 7 monoblocks or the Model 5 were great matches. The best I got from them was using the Audio Research REF750 or now the Siegfried II. The current ones also sound impressive with the Lamm M1.2.
Some modern solid state can make them sound lean - very detailed and great bass attack, but lacking body.

The hidden secret - Soundlab's with Dartzeels, either the 8550 or the NHB458. Unfortunately the NHB 108 was not adequate for them. A good friend had great sound using them with the Electrocompaniet big amplifier, the AW250DMB.

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
I heard with spectral. I thought the spectral suited the soundlabs well.

What I heard was a "stereophonic" sound. I mean, sound was disharmonious and clearly divided between the two channels. I could hear each channel playing on its own , without amalgam and totally on the speakers. But maybe we don't talk about the same amp. :)

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
My old A1 I used Mark Levinson N20
100 watt class A but was not enough and I bought another pair and used N20 bridged with 400 watt and was ok

Reactions: caliaripaolo

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What I heard was a "stereophonic" sound. I mean, sound was disharmonious and clearly divided between the two channels. I could hear each channel playing on its own , without amalgam and totally on the speakers. But maybe we don't talk about the same amp. :)

They were very sweet spot

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Hi Ked
You can go to visit Caliaripaolo with your Golden Gate to try with his Totaldac

So you can leave rest me and Tang
:D

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Gian, how would you compare last months Darling Kuro Cables with your new flame Göbel Cables?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing