A workshop at Shakti’s - hORNS Universum, Bohne Audio BB-15, etc.

jackelsson

Dec 1, 2013
.de
Some here at WBF might have already heard about the gatherings of fellow ’philes which Jürgen/Shakti is holding at his place a few times a year. As far as I know this started off a few years back as some sort of live meetings of members of the ’aktives-hoeren.de’ forum and grew from there to today’s all-day workshops with some 30-40 people attending on the day.

Last weekend was now again one of these lovely loony meetings, for me the fourth time over the course of the last two years to do the four hours drive to attend. And so I thought I just show a few pictures to give everybody here at WBF an impression of what it’s like there.

Shakti’s place is a beautiful, ca. 120 years old, and completely refurbished, converted inn at the outskirts of Köln (Cologne). With this having been a place to host guests in the past, there is of course still quite a bit of space to do exacty this today and Shakti knows to make the best out of it.

There is one main listening room of ca. 60sqm (650 sqft.), the former front guest room of the inn, where Shakti himself is taking care about the demonstrations. On top of that there is a former, even bigger back room which is normally the home theatre, but which on workshop days usually serves as a second event room, and which is then usually a place for dealers, distributors, or manufacturers to demo their stuff.

The workshops usually have a dedicated topic. This time it was a mixture of hearing the hORNS Universum III, a comparison of different SPUs, a short mid-price phono stage shoot out and a comparison of different LP pressings of various albums. And that was just the front room. In the back room Bohne Audio played their impressive BB-15, their second biggest speaker with a digital crossover and a ribbon going down to 800Hz. Plus Andrejs Staltmanis, the German importer for Reed demoed their newest deck, the idler driven Reed Muse 1C plus the just amazing new tangential tonearm Reed 5T.

Enough words now, here are the pictures...

00__MG_7515__800px_web.jpg

00__MG_7521__800px_web.jpg

jackelsson

Dec 1, 2013
.de
Micro Seiki DDX-1500...

14__MG_7476__1200px_web.jpg

Micro Seiki RX-5000 with a Dereneville DMS-5001 motor unit...

14__MG_7516__1200px_web.jpg

Dereneville's newest motor unit is made to match the classic Micro Seiki record players and is said to be a considerable improvement over Micro Seiki's original units...

15__MG_7517__1200px_web.jpg

Audiospecials Phonolab: a fully adjustable MM/MC phono stage with two inputs and an external power supply. Two shelving EQs for bass and treble allow for subtle adjustment of poor recordings or pressings. A very interesting phono amp...

16__MG_7518__1200px_web.jpg

Last edited:

jackelsson

Dec 1, 2013
.de
The rear listening room...

18__MG_7530__1000px_web.jpg

For me the two big surprises of the day were to be found here in the back room...

Reactions: infinitely baffled

jackelsson

Dec 1, 2013
.de
Firstly the quite amzing tangential tonearm Reed 5T, a rather ingenious construction: a normal gimballed arm mounted on an arm base that is being rotated on an air cushion by a linear motor, which is triggered by a laser switch as soon as the arm exceeds a certain deviation from the right angle to the groove of the LP.

20__MG_7537__1200px_web.jpg

A pretty convincing idea for realizing a tangential tonearm - albeit with a somewhat hefty 15k€ price tag...

20__MG_7534__1200px_web.jpg

Idler drive Reed Muse 1C...

22__MG_7525__1200px_web.jpg

20__MG_7633__1200px_web.jpg

Andrejs Staltmanis, the German Reed distributor, DJ-ing with the Muse 1C...

21__MG_7536__1200px_web.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Halcro

jackelsson

Dec 1, 2013
.de
And then my biggest positive surprise of the day, the Bohne Audio BB-15. The large ribbon plays down to 800 Hz before a 15" JBL bass takes over (there are also versions with 12" and 18" bass drivers).

19__MG_7542__1200px_web.jpg

Instead of a passive crossover the Bohne loudspeakers use a modified Trinnov preamp which provides both frequency separation for the drivers and a room correction for the listening room.

23_MG_7543__1000px_web.jpg

The two silver boxes underneath the Trinnov are two Bohne 600W stereo power amps to drive the four channels separately, although every flavour of power amp can be used instead. This makes the Bohnes an active loudspeaker system with a digital crossover and a free choice of power amplification.

This was one of the most dynamic speakers I have ever had the pleasure to listen to. I never heard a drum kit at live volume so realisticly before, that was quite impressive. This is definitely a speaker I will have a second look at after the turn of the year.

24_MG_7544__800px_web.jpg

As a final picture from Shakti's workshop please meet the loudspeaker man himself: Jörg Bohne with his BB-15.

Last edited:

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Great pics and a wonderful thread. My speakers work in a similar way to the BB-15, the JBL woofers take over at 800K. I bet they sound wonderful with the full range ribbon.

Derainer

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
Apr 23, 2011
Germany
www.dereneville.de
Great pictures and a very informative post. :)
It must have been a great weekend and a great workshop.

Thank you for your efforts and your commitment.

best regards Rainer

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
Great report with beautiful pictures, good job!
Even more turntables and tonearms than i thought overthere :)

Reactions: shakti

nemu

Jun 25, 2018
Dear Swen!

Thanks very much for these fine pictures. Watching them and reading your comments, I can imagine the great day you all had listening to music.

Best Regards
Stephan

Reactions: Ron Resnick

groovemaster

VIP/Donor
Sep 26, 2017
What really impressed me were two things. Bone-Audio with a really good sound in combination with Trinnov in the digital room and the Audiospecials AS Phonolab with its perfect combination of professional audio engineering and puristic design.

The BLUE GIANT with AS PHONOLAB 1.0
157_2.jpg

Groovemaster

Reactions: gian60

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Fantastic photos

Amazing equipment in that room

What ribbon do the Boyne use

jackelsson

Dec 1, 2013
.de
Fantastic photos

Amazing equipment in that room

What ribbon do the Boyne use
Hi awsmone, the ribbon is an in-house development by Bohne. As far as I know it's a special aluminium. Folded length is 300 mm.

Cdupree

Jan 30, 2016
Thank you for sharing this with us, It must have been a fascinating weekend. Can anyone tell me who manufactures the big diffuser above the TechDAS in the main system? I love it !

Derainer

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
Apr 23, 2011
Germany
www.dereneville.de
I have seen that diffusor and some similar in the presentation room from Reinhard Thöress
in Munich at the high end.

As far as I know are they manufactured by a company in Poland.

_MG_3189_preview.jpeg
_MG_3183_preview.jpeg

best regards,
Rainer

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing