Abbas phono

vinhxn

Dec 30, 2022
There's was a significant price jump from the 3.2 SE vs 3.2 SE Signature, $2480 more than 3.2 SE in Dec 2021. Here was his explanation:

"Signature features:
1. Hand made EI power transformers that made of siemens core and vintage germany copper wire
2. TDA1541S1 ( crown)
3. Careful selection of all parts, more expensive resistors and capacitors. More expensive valves, a special solder, wiring"

I think most of it has to do with time spent on select parts, listening and tuning it. I also bought a couple power cables, RCA interconnect and digital cable from him. Very interesting design: vintage copper wires in wooden beads, in a clear tubings, then wrapped with a jacket. He does not believe in shielding.

@charles1dad you asked about my source. I only do streaming. I built a custom Windows-based music server using JCAT XE USB and Network cards. The setup is fed using only LPSUs (JCAT and HDPlex). I used Roon because it's user-friendly. The TDA1541 chip only supports NOS. The max it handles is 96 Khz at 16 bit. Anything higher, you won't hear a sound. Downside is that in Roon, if I have any higher resolution files or stream, I'd have to down sample in Roon before it goes to the DAC.

Here's my setup:
Custom Music Server with JCAT XE components
Audio-GD DI20HE DDC
Abbas Audio 3.2 Signature DAC
Audio Note M5 Phono Pre-amp
Carver Cherry 180 monoblocks
Marten Design Bird 2 speakers

Reactions: charles1dad

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
@vinhxn
Thanks for providing the additional information about your system set up. I did order the Abbas SPDIF cable and power cable along with the DAC.
Charles

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
Music for your abbas phono.

Following discussions with @Artnet about jan johansson, here’s some records by the swedish maestro:

070EEC19-315B-4ED3-A939-3038A9196662.jpeg

To my ears he’s one of the greatest pianists ever. With a unique ultra minimalist swedish style. The best die young. Check it. Stay away from remasters.

There’s also a webster record that i bought recently that sounds sublime even though its a 70s reissue (i think).

Artnet

Mar 7, 2021
Melbourne, Australia.
about jan johansson, here’s some records by the swedish maestro:

Thank you jespera for the recommendation. I managed to find an early copy of 'pa svenska' hope it arrives safely. There seem to be a few and then discovered it was his most popular album.
Its a nice collection of LP's, more recommendations to find I think. Sadly as you noted only a brief time with us, a short but distinguished career it would seem though. A bit of info on Wiki is interesting.
And here I am discovering new music on a forum !!:)
I know I should be streaming.

Paul49720

Oct 7, 2020
London
I don't see interior photographs of Abbas' RIAA so here are a handful of mine, delivered summer 2021. With Abbas' recommended valves --Mullard Blackburn mesh long plate EF86's, EL84's and both EZ80 / 81, music off LP's sounds magical - one hears everything in the space of the recording. I took out a valve preamp in favour of a TVC which greatly enhances transparency in this system. CD's sound a level or two down from the magic of LP's but still wonderfully musical through Abbas' DAC 2.4SE+. Are there many on this forum with this wonderful RIAA machine ?

Attachments

• IMG_9944.jpg
    IMG_9944.jpg
    917.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_9952.jpg
    IMG_9952.jpg
    712.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Abbas Audio RIAA stage_EL84s_EF86s.jpg
    Abbas Audio RIAA stage_EL84s_EF86s.jpg
    891.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_9955.jpg
    IMG_9955.jpg
    695.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_9962.jpg
    IMG_9962.jpg
    350 KB · Views: 42
  • RIAA stage Feb 2022.jpg
    RIAA stage Feb 2022.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 50
  • system Sept 2021.JPG
    system Sept 2021.JPG
    786.2 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

limberpine

Oct 14, 2021
I don't see interior photographs of Abbas' RIAA so here are a handful of mine, delivered summer 2021. With Abbas' recommended valves --Mullard Blackburn mesh long plate EF86's, EL84's and both EZ80 / 81, music off LP's sounds magical - one hears everything in the space of the recording. I took out a valve preamp in favour of a TVC which greatly enhances transparency in this system. CD's sound a level or two down from the magic of LP's but still wonderfully musical through Abbas' DAC 2.4SE+. Are there many on this forum with this wonderful RIAA machine ?
What's wrapped around that transformer?

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
Look what the cat brought in …

IMG_8392.jpeg

… two 1:25 step up trafos from Abbas himself.

Im gonna be using one for my ortofon sl15ell and one for spus.

Been listening for 30 mins but truly sounds like it is exactly what the doctor ordered.

Reactions: mtemur and djsina2

Paul49720

Oct 7, 2020
London
I reminded myself today that Abbas' phono stage is notably responsive to different power cord (PC) and plug termination designs. I have one of Abbas' PC's and this is a beautiful sounding cable that complements his design. A couple of years ago I started using "Acoustic Revive C8800" PCOCCA cable which gave a still fuller, slightly more open sound. Today I tried a heavier construction "Oyaide Tunami GPX-R" PCOCCA PC which gives a still greater weight and majesty of sound (helpful with horn loudspeakers). I removed the original white --possibly rhodium plated-- plugs for an ETI gold over copper "Legato" IEC. This took the burrs off the edges (of the rhodium character !) , enriched the sound, and allows hearing more into music. There is a later version of the cable --GPX-R V2-- with subtle differences due to different later metal processing. The GPX-R design includes copper screen with floating earth at the IEC plug end. Using Decca cartridges with a TVC, SET and full range single driver horns I appreciate the differences. On other system types findings may be different / more subtle.

Attachments

• Abbas with Oyaide Tunami.jpg
    Abbas with Oyaide Tunami.jpg
    847.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Reactions: jespera and Artnet

Paul49720

Oct 7, 2020
London
To step up, or not to step up, this is the question:

I heard a friend's Miyajima Zero Mono cartridge in his system yesterday and was quite amazed by the fabulous sound. I need to hear it in my system, yet potentially it offers still greater scale, impact and richness than my Decca cartridges (mono and stereo) which output around 7mv. The Zero gives 0.4mv. Curiously, the Decca into the Abbas, together with a relatively high gain SET, and 104dB efficiency horns mean I use only the first 2 or 3 of 21 indents on my TVC. Does anyone successfully operate such a low output cartridge (0.4mv) into the Abbas without adding an SUT ?

Last edited:

Reagan

Mar 22, 2024
Concord, NC
Thank you. I will borrow the Mono in the next few weeks and find what works.
I would like to chime into this convo as I have recently acquired an Abbas RIAA phono preamp. He says it delivers 45db voltage gain. First of all, it’s too early for critical listening reviews as the burn-in has not begun yet in earnest. I am currently configured only for vinyl with a custom derivation rig that started as a VPI HW-19 MKii. Using a Hana ML (0.4mV) cart with Abbas’ 10:1 SUT. Setup includes home brew KT88 SET and Altec A7-8. It took Abbas 6 months to complete while dodging missile strikes and grid outages. My pt is also wrapped with very expensive Mu metal wrap (like yours). He says the emf creates petals around the pt. I still have stock tubes and am looking forward to rolling tubes. For my flea-powered amp, I am using a First Sound single stage preamp. I initially tried a Dynavector high output MC cart with a passive Khozmo but found the preamp was really needed with the SET. However, the low output Hana with the 10:1 SUT may work better with the Khozmo. Still toying around with different configurations.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing