Absorption from 100 hz - 2000 khz

Walnut Horns

May 11, 2015
Hi All, my first post here. I recently had my horns installed in my dedicated listening room and the system is now oriented 180 degrees from my previous setup. The horn builder took some measurements and strongly recommended installing absorption covering 100 hz - 2000 khz. The puppy barking test disclosed significant slap echo and midrange bounce.

For context, the horn system is comprised of a mid-bass horn, mid-range horn and supertweeter covering 90 hz- 20 khz. For bass, I am using a Crown dsp amp driving two large sealed cabinets with a 15" pro driver in each.

How would you go about accomplishing this? I am open to all suggestions. Thanks.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Welcome to the forum and good first post! :)

Slap echo is an issue of parallel walls with the sound bouncing back and forth between them. It is the "zing" that you get when you slap your hands in a very live room. Its frequency is much higher than 100 Hz which is good news because even a 2 inch absorber is enough to kill it. Put anything padded that is at least one inch thick opposite of the speaker and you should be good to go. You can buy commercial absorbers or make your own out of fiberglass in a frame of your own.

Make sure that is the problem you have though. The thin absorber above will not be broadband which means it will attenuate mid to high frequencies disproportionately to lower ones. In other words, you will be creating an EQ in your room! Broadband absorbers should be at least 4 inches thick.

Do you have a picture of your room or description of it? We can get more specific with more details there.

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA

Walnut Horns

May 11, 2015
Nyal, thank you for the response. I read through the materials and understand your view. May I ask what specific measurements are required to appropriately determine the type and number of room treatments needed? I may already have them. If not, I'll need to have additional measurements taken.

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
Nyal, thank you for the response. I read through the materials and understand your view. May I ask what specific measurements are required to appropriately determine the type and number of room treatments needed? I may already have them. If not, I'll need to have additional measurements taken.

In general frequency response and time decay measurements (low frequency ringing, mid/high frequency reverberation time).

More here: http://realtraps.com/art_measuring.htm

Acousticspro

May 30, 2015
Hi All, my first post here. I recently had my horns installed in my dedicated listening room and the system is now oriented 180 degrees from my previous setup. The horn builder took some measurements and strongly recommended installing absorption covering 100 hz - 2000 khz. The puppy barking test disclosed significant slap echo and midrange bounce.

For context, the horn system is comprised of a mid-bass horn, mid-range horn and supertweeter covering 90 hz- 20 khz. For bass, I am using a Crown dsp amp driving two large sealed cabinets with a 15" pro driver in each.

How would you go about accomplishing this? I am open to all suggestions. Thanks.

Go to www.acousticroomtreatments.com and check their products

Acousticspro

May 30, 2015
Your alias is the same as the company name and hence my question. Why enticed you to buy their product and what help are you providing them?
well that was the first name that come to my mind, and for the help just recommending them nice guys very helpful .

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing