ack's system - end of round 1

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Thanks Ian. Corner frequency is the -3dB point people typically quote. It's fun to watch digital do presence, timbre and articulation, separation of instruments. The technology is sound, the implementation is apparently very hard.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
So that they don't accidentally touch; pin1/cathode and the body are the same

That's funny. For years I've checked for that on diodes and never used one that had the connection so I kind of assumed that no one did it... (still check, but didn't expect to find it)

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
One must always pay attention to detail, and the PDF I linked to makes this connection clear

1567968874763.png

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
As Ack mentioned, yesterday I visited to hear his system. The resistor modification to his speakers, which also tones down the treble, has worked very well. The sound was closer to what you would hear live, where the treble is mostly not as prominent as typically from a stereo system. I have achieved a similar effect by speaker toe out (report forthcoming). Timbre is more convincing throughout, and there is also more body of sound in the lower midrange. This is to be expected as the interpretation of sound by the ear/brain interface apparently depends on the intensity of frequencies relative to one another, so that less energy in the upper treble translates to a perceived greater emphasis of frequencies downrange. Ack told me he did not change the crossover between panel and woofer.

We played the test scale on the CD of Stockhausen piano pieces from Stockhausen-Verlag (engineering supervised by the composer himself), and I was struck by the evenness of timbre throughout; you could not hear the transition between panels and woofer, even though body in the low register has increased. I must say, the speaker that Ack has arrived at with his modifications is impressive.

Dynamics were still excellent as always, and in some cases, perhaps especially in the bass, dynamic punch may have further benefited from the DAC modifications.

What also struck me was a greater differentiation of transients, where hard attack transients do not lose their 'edge', but other transients show more subtle shadings. I have found this increase of transient differentiation with the relatively recent insertion of my Octave preamp in the chain; in Ack's system it seems to be changes to his source, the Berkeley DAC, as his excellent Spectral amplification has not changed.

Resolution has increased, perhaps as a combination from both modifications to both speaker (see Ack's post from May 28) and DAC. As for timbral micro-detail, especially on string quartet (difficult to reproduce!) and orchestral massed strings, Ack's system now checks ALL my resolution boxes. It is as good in this area of reproduction as I have heard. I also found remarkable how the modified Berkeley DAC performed on my CD of Shostakovich Ninth Symphony with Mariss Jansons conducting the Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra (EMI). My stock version of the Berkeley DAC had been hardening up on fortissimo violins and showed less micro-resolution on strings, which was a clear disadvantage to my Yggdrasil DAC and one of the deciding factors in keeping the latter after the audition period. Now, one generation of resolution in my system further, and with the version 2 of the Yggdrasil DAC in my system, I was surprised how similar Ack's modified Berkeley DAC in his system was to the Yggdrasil 2 DAC in my system, keeping its cool on fortissimo strings, and presenting a similar fine string micro-texture throughout. The Berkeley DAC, which in Ack's version is now already 10 years old, obviously always had the potential, but the quality of implementation of its digital technology had to be helped along, and the result from Ack's hands is impressive.

Separation of instruments, another aspect of resolution, was fantastic throughout. You could so easily discern individual lines and their interplay in the music, it was incredibly immersive and enjoyable.

Tonal character overall was very enjoyable as well, with clear gains in realism, as already mentioned above. Woodwinds in the Shostakovich symphony sounded incredibly beautiful, including in the slow second movement which just bathes in woodwind sounds. You don't need a tube amp for that, top notch implementation of SS technology as in the Spectral preamp and amp fully suffice. I say this being a tube gear guy myself. All in all, with all the increases in overall system performance, the outstanding quality of the Spectral amplification, which I have long admired, was only further confirmed.

What I heard yesterday, with speaker and DAC modifications, was the best Ack's system has ever sounded. It is a major leap forward in performance. Congratulations, Ack!

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Thanks Al for taking the time to come down and for writing your impressions. I subsequently played my version of the Shostakovich with the BSO on DG and it's just not the same, frankly; some of their recordings continue to be challenged. This is the kind of stuff that other DACs attempt to mask.

The piano chromatic scale on the Stockhausen CD is a really good test of one's system, and I forgot to mention how linear it now sounds. One can easily tell anomalies up and down the spectrum with it.

I am sure the diodes are still breaking in. Still waiting for the Spectral DAC, LOL

@PeterA thank you as well

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Great report, Al and obviously great progress on Ack's part. I heard the report from Al verbally before I read this and the enthusiasm was very apparent. Very, very fun stuff.

Reactions: ack

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
@ack Thanks for sharing.

I hope 2020 sees the release of the SV phono stage.

Then hopefully an SV dac is next.

As you mentioned ; the Sv CD player is good that if they release a dac; it would have to equal or surpass this redbook player.

Looking to hopefully reading your posts about the phono stage next year. (Crossing fingers ) lol

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
@Mdp632 Just when the dealer told me that Spectral are done with amps after the 300SV and the phono is close, I now see they just announced the DMA-250S3 stereo amp. So the whole thing with sources is at this point a total joke.

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
@ack Yes, I read that too but , looks like the 250s3 is just a replacement for the 240 as their “entry” level amp.

As to what has changed with it ; who knows I wish they were more descriptive.

Also looks like the 500s were indeed a limited edition run and are no longer being made.

So, you have quite the amps that are indeed very special and now even more exclusive.

I do think that 2020 will bring the phono stage.

Unless of course they release a two chassis pre amp that will be above the 30Sv.

I’m hoping for the phono stage. Although I’m not in the market for one but , there has to be so much pent up demand for it. Certainly it would be a major seller for them.

Reactions: ack

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Due the same century as the Spectral phono?
SCNR

I know. But no laughing matter, really - it's putting the dealers' credibility on the line, time and time again.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I know. But no laughing matter, really - it's putting the dealers' credibility on the line, time and time again.

Spectral is a tough nut to crack. They keep making amplifiers, it must be what dealers are requesting. We know Spectral do not run as a normal audio business. They will only produce products they want to produce.

I have given up on a Spectral phonostage. My Aesthetix Io feeds my Spectral preamp some great vinyl sound.

I do think about the 4000SV CD player, it is exceptional and really makes sense given all of the CD's that have been produced. CD is still a large format in Asia.

Last edited:

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
The 4000SV player is the only one I like in that entire line, and a cut above all of its siblings. I keep thinking about it myself, just trying to assess how close my modified Alpha DAC is to it. I am listening to the RR Symphonic Dances right now, and the sound is so clean and controlled unlike ever before; in the past, during the loud passages, it was edgy, distorted, and unbrearable. Right now, it sounds so analog, with the help of HDCD.

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
Spectral is a tough nut to crack. They keep making amplifiers, it must be what dealers are requesting. We know Spectral do not run as a normal audio business. They will only produce products they want to produce.

I have given up on a Spectral phonostage. My Aesthetix Io feeds my Spectral preamp some great vinyl sound.

I do think about the 4000SV CD player, it is exceptional and really makes sense given all of the CD's that have been produced. CD is still a large format in Asia.

@dan31 I can agree with @ack that the SV CD player is very special indeed.

IMHO, i don't think we will a Spectral DAC soon and will see the phono before as perhaps even 2020.

I've personally yet to hear any computer based file or streaming solution; regardless of the bit rate, file format or DAC. To surpass the digital physical media.

Maybe Spectral will prove me wrong but, any computer audio regardless of the price is at the mercy of noise, distortion and jitter; introduced by computer networks.

Just reading the forums and you'll read about everyone spending thousands for convenience and try to increase performance for computer/network audio

We are getting there but, for now and IMHO physical media quality trumps (no pun intended) computer audio' s convenience .

On players like the 4000SV; that difference ; especially in an all Spectral SV system is quite special indeed.

Long live the compact disc.

For now at least...

Reactions: dan31

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
More Berkeley DAC fun (as if anyone cares)

Somewhere in these pages I think, someone said that the Berkeley volume control - going from 0.0 to 60.0 - adjusts in 0.1dB increments. I have been able to verify that with test tones, and more importantly, voltage is halved at -6dB (54.0) and quartered at -12dB (48.0) from the reference; more precisely, based on the same measurements, the drop is respectively -6.0206dB and -12.0412 dB, precisely as it should be - a major engineering feat indeed.

However, as I have posted in the past, digital volume controls frustrate me, even if they don't lose resolution (as is the case with Berkeley DACs). The problem, as I have grappled with over the years, is that tonality changes with various settings, with certain settings sounding elevated in the treble, with others articulation suffers, or bass drops, or the sound becomes euphonic, or distortion increases, etc.

After realizing all that, I listened very carefully at the 54.0 (recommended by the factory) and 48.0 settings, and over any other those two settings offer the least amount of distortion, the highest resolution, and the cleanest sound. Everywhere else - if one can train the ear to focus on the right thing - there are a variety of problems, even if subtle; but treble distortion at loud passages is the easiest one to pick up.

Nonetheless, this got me thinking that these settings are integer voltage dividers, and they ought to sound best. The reality is that 54.0 has always sounded clean though euphonic, and now, at 48.0 - and after all of my mods - that setting appears to offer the cleanest, most resolving and less distorted sound, with no euphonic elements to it, and more importantly, the truest timbre and articulation yet. It is quite evident with the better recordings, and especially with HDCD, which shines as a pseudo higher-res option, with real presence and very natural sound when the recording is up for it - e.g. the Janaki Trio Debut

Bottom line: never mind my DAC; the question is how do the various Berkeley Ref series DACs sound at those two volume settings. I need to go back and listen to the Ref3 at 48.0 again, because last time the dealer chose 58.0 and I thought the sound was euphonic and effectively, shit. I am willing to bet that 48.0 on it will also sound the best.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
If output level is adjusted by resistor wouldn’t the various combinations be subject to a break-in and equilibration? Not sure how the Alpha dac controls output.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Don't know how they implement the volume control, but even if it's just resistors, then I've had this DAC for some ten years, and have played with all kinds of volume control settings, so I am tempted to say lack of break-in is not an issue for the sonic differences I am hearing.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . .

. . .

Do you mean that a Spectral phono stage was never released, or that you have heard it but that you do not care for it?

If the latter, would you please describe the differences you hear between the Spectral phono stage and the Aesthetix Io?

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
He's given up waiting for it, it's still not released, after so many years of dealer promises.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing