Acoustic Sounds reel-to-reel tapes are coming

earlinarizona

Jul 17, 2010
The tape renaissance is real and revolutionary. Tape, of course, is not an unfamiliar topic for Acoustic Sounds, as more than 95 percent of the Analogue Productions reissues are sourced from the original analog masters. What's more, Chad Kassem's recording studio/concert hall, Blue Heaven Studios, records almost exclusively to half-inch tape. At Axpona, hear Chad expound about the addition of reel-to-reel tapes to the Acoustic Sounds catalog of reissues.

www.axpona.com

earlinarizona

Jul 17, 2010
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-dAQhidiI...5_10153515392042883_1863371865320365308_n.jpg

The Format Of The Future. Hear from the pros who are involved in the Tape Renaissance. See how easy it can be to have a studio quality tape machine playing back Master Tapes copies in your living room. How to get the most out of the format, making sure your tape machine is operating at its best. Seminar at AXPONA Friday April 15, 2016 3:15-4:15 Chad Kassel.

I hope someone for sure will be recording the seminar.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
No doubt Christian!

Tom

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Did anyone talk to Chad at Axpona? I stopped by several times but he was not there.

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
Back in the day, I used to buy tapes for my reel to reel, but felt the quality was rarely as good as it could be. Many of the recording companies used to reproduce the tapes at high speed and sometimes used a "master" quite a few generations down. Now, we have companies taking great care to use the highest generation master tapes they can and also a 1 to 1 tape copy transfer. It will be interesting to see how this plays out if huge numbers of tapes are made by multiple companies.

jsn

VIP/Donor
Jan 8, 2014
In the Acoustic Sound facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/AcousticSo...92428867882/10153604698722883/?type=3&theater
In the Chicago area? Visiting AXPONA? You won't want to miss the demonstration going on in Room 532. There you'll find Joseph Audio and the Jeff Rowland Design Group playing samples of our forthcoming reel-to-reel tape reissues from Analogue Productions. Hear master tape copy playback on a quality reel-to-reel deck and experience revealing sound!
May I know what the samples played ?
Any idea ?

jbazz

Member Sponsor
Jun 20, 2011
Houston, TX
Caught a glimpse of some of the track listings on the Sampler tape boxes. Saw titles by Oscar Peterson, Creedence Clearwater, Muddy Waters, Sonny Rollins, Dave Bruebeck....
Listened to Muddy Waters track that Jeff Rowland put on, sounded great.

jsn

VIP/Donor
Jan 8, 2014
Caught a glimpse of some of the track listings on the Sampler tape boxes. Saw titles by Oscar Peterson, Creedence Clearwater, Muddy Waters, Sonny Rollins, Dave Bruebeck....
Listened to Muddy Waters track that Jeff Rowland put on, sounded great.
jbazz,
Thanks for your sharing.
Will there be any classical music titles ?

jbazz

Member Sponsor
Jun 20, 2011
Houston, TX
Hi jsn,
Yes, there were classical titles. Titles escape me. This was the last room I visited, before catching the airport shuttle. Note that these were sampler tapes with each reel
containing different Artist/Titles, so which ones will actually be released is the question.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Anyone know whether Chad is doing the duplication in house (and what machines he is using), or is outsourcing the duplication? Any lists and pricing? Thanks, Larry

jsn

VIP/Donor
Jan 8, 2014
More news about the coming titles exposed in the absolute sound:
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/axpona-2016-loudspeakers-20k-and-up/
I also have to mention an exciting development for reel-to-reel tape fans (like me). Acoustic Sound’s Chad Kassem, bless him, has decided to issue first-gen 15ips two-track dubs of several mastertapes. The first bunch will include R.L. Jones’ It’s Like This, Hugh Masakela’s Hope, Lightning Hopkins’ Going Away, Bill Evans’ Sunday At The Village Vanguard, Ben Webster’s Gentle Ben, Sonny Rollins’ Way Out West, Art Pepper’s Meets The Rhythm Section, Credence Clearwater Revival’s Cosmo’s Factory, and the famous Athena recording of Rachmaninoff’s Symphonic Dances. This is astonishingly good news for high-end audiophiles of every stripe and will, I hope, help further stimulate the reel-to-reel revival.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Wow looking forward to the super duper titles

tunes

Member Sponsor
Nov 9, 2013
Excited about this news. Anyone heard when they start shipping? Pricing was rumoured to be approx $450 per title.

stellavox

Apr 23, 2010
Went to AXPONA. Went to Myles' tape seminar and talked to Chad a few times. "Lobbied" (again) for rock titles. Heard his (personal) demo tape on his ATR in Jeff Joseph's room. Holy ****!!! "Shaft" and other 70's rock never sounded so good. Crowd (even grey hairs /no hairs like me) was rockin. He's using ATR's for duplication. Mentioned his MAJOR PROBLEMS dealing with copyright holders who are TOTALLY IGNORANT about tape - no way to assess a/any "reissue value".

ATR (machine rebuild and tape) is doing fine. Another panelist indicated that he is going to (re)introduce rebuilt MCI playback machines (which is a good thing as the transports are very good - constant tension tape handling may be BETTER than Studer - and they used Bogen heads)!

Charles

ps. Chris is the gentleman doing rebuilds to the MCI's. See maramachines.com

Last edited:

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Great news! Copyrights are the trickiest. With all the mergers, many of the execs at these companies have no idea about the audiophile market, let alone R2R. Hopefully there will be good sales. Can't wait to get at least the Rachmaninoff Dances title! My new ATR-102 with Doshi playback prepro is coming soon!

Larry

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing