Acoustical Treatment for Listening Room Floor

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
This ASC white paper recommended specific carpet brands/models which I was never able to find. I am interested in the experiences of forum members/posters with carpets and carpet underlayments for reducing reflections off the floor.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Does anyone know the audio frequency absorption characteristics of jute carpet padding versus wool felt carpet padding versus rebond carpet padding?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you very much! I found this link as well.

Surgery? Eeesh! I hope you make a speedy and complete recovery!

Reactions: MarkusBarkus

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The difficulty is that one cannot solve merely to maximize sound absorption (a higher “NR” figure). Carpets, carpet pads, acoustic wall treatments, window treatments, etc., have their own non-linear audio frequency absorption curve. So by installing materials on the walls or the floor one is baking into one’s listening room an audio frequency filter of unknown contour (unknown linearity).

By selecting a material with a higher sound absorption characteristic one is baking into one’s listening room an audio frequency filter of potentially a stronger contour (potentially greater non-linearities).

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
This ASC white paper recommended specific carpet brands/models which I was never able to find. I am interested in the experiences of forum members/posters with carpets and carpet underlayments for reducing reflections off the floor.

Please see this old WBF thread
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...coustic-material-to-place-on-the-floor.13805/

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
@Ron Resnick I have many and various treatments in my room, including carpets/pads; however, I promised myself I would not add anything else until I ran REW and got some actual data, adding or removing based on those "readings."

I think my room sounds great, and I added layers and products over time, but always by ear.

You know all this, but I do think at some point, we have to quantify and then respond. Hope all good...

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
@Ron Resnick I have many and various treatments in my room, including carpets/pads; however, I promised myself I would not add anything else until I ran REW and got some actual data, adding or removing based on those "readings."

I think my room sounds great, and I added layers and products over time, but always by ear.

You know all this, but I do think at some point, we have to quantify and then respond. Hope all good...
I heard someone call it a frog in the pot. I need REW too. You just don't know till your trained.

Reactions: MarkusBarkus

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing