across the Atlantic in a 47' Catamaran

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
my son Steve quit his job (as I.T. and e-commerce where i work) and has been traveling. 3 weeks in southern Spain, a week in the French Alps, a week near Monaco, and a week in Morocco. then he got on a 47' Catamaran in the Canary Islands and is sailing to the British Virgin Islands via Cape Verde. he lives on a 35' Sailboat here in Seattle, so he is a salt.

here is a link to his passage;

https://us0-share.inreach.garmin.com/explorewithsteve

here is a picture of him leaving Cape Verde yesterday.....

1543960366713.png

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
So Mike, he's not one for sitting in a cabin listening to music for hours?

Seriously, you must be proud of him.

Reactions: bonzo75

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
So Mike, he's not one for sitting in a cabin listening to music for hours?

Seriously, you must be proud of him.

i would describe Steve as a MacGyver kinda guy with I.T. skills and a serious adventurer. i am certainly very proud of both my kids.

and no, while he likes music plenty he is not one to sit and do the audiophile thing.

a few days ago he texted me this.....

"Sailing at the helm of a boat on the sea in the middle of the night and looking out at the ocean is an indescribable feeling".

:)

Last edited:

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Wow. Damned impressive! Of course, I get motion sickness in a bathtub so I'm just blown away. Is there a crew or is this a solo journey?

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Wow. Damned impressive! Of course, I get motion sickness in a bathtub so I'm just blown away. Is there a crew or is this a solo journey?

Marty,

the boat has 4 staterooms. one is the couple that runs the charter,, one is a couple from Israel, another has their friend, and my son has the 4th stateroom. so a total of 6 on board.

here is a link to pictures of the boat and company. scroll down for details.

https://worldsailingadventures.net/about-the-boat/

Steve is the ideal crew for a sailboat passage as he can fix anything anywhere. he has crewed on race boats but not been off shore before.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Good for him Mike

I wish him well in his voyage. He will have some tales to tell for sure
How long of a trip is this to be

ETA in the British Virgins is 12/19, they left the Canary Islands on 11/23 with 3 days in Cape Verde. not sure if he flys back directly from the BVI's or if there is another jump. he has a flight home from Miami scheduled 12/23. he left for Europe on 10/6.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Very cool Mike; say Hi to Steve from Bob. You guys Skype each other?

no Skype with me or my wife. when he was in Europe we used facetime voice only which made all the calls free. he has posted pics on Instagram.

as he designed all our networks where i work, in Europe he was able to keep track of how all our networks were working and coach his replacement on things that needed doing. on the boat no such luck and we are on our own.

on the boat he has a Garmen Sat-text device we bought him for his birthday. that gives us his location every 10 minutes too when he has it on. so just text.

Last edited:

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Mike, this is all very cool for him to do this. What a different world our kids live in today as opposed to what we did 25 years ago.

I hope he has a safe and rewarding journey.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
my son Steve is now 4-5 days from landfall in Tortola. 2 days ago the auto-pilot failed. he was complaining he had a night watch with 3 hours of staring at a lighted compass which was exhausting.

tough duty.:rolleyes: i think he is anxious to get his feet on land and have some time alone. 4 weeks with 5 other people in a 40' x 30' world is likely enough......no matter how much you enjoy their company.

but.......i think it beats the whole working every day alternative.

1544967724423.png

Last edited:
Reactions: RussR

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing