active loudspeakers

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
I have had an easy time getting great sound from my main system and while active dsp systems seem out of favor I was getting frustrated and feeling like a dog chasing my tail when trying to get passive speakers to sound anything like the sound that drew me to them in the first place.

Brad Lunde

Sep 18, 2020
Las Vegas
www.lonemountainaudio.com
Yes of course Kal, thanks for noting that, sorry for the mistake. I'll go back and fix that. (now to find my error....I'm horrible at typing)
I know you are making other distinctions as well but saying "amp after the crossover" and "crossover is before the power amps" is saying the same thing.

Okay, I was trying to distinguish "powered" (amp inside speaker before a traditional passive crossover) and "active" (amps after an electronic crossover). Many use the phrase "powered" as though its a form of active -when it is really a form of a passive speaker. The way I wrote it made it more confusing rather than less! Thanks for the heads up Kal!

Brad

jackelsson

Dec 1, 2013
.de
Found these pictures while browsing the net for infos on the ATC SCM 150. Alledgedly this is from a technical comparison that Bayerischer Rundfunk (Bavarian Public Broadcasting) did of the usual suspects of studio monitors (here in Europe anyway) prior to an acquisition:

B&W 802D + Classé amps, ME Geithain RL 901K, ATC SCM 150 ASL Pro, Genelec 8260A, Neumann KH 420 - so mostly active powered speakers here in this pro context.

I'm a bit surprised that they chose the (in this context) somewhat smallish Genelec 8260A for this comparison and not the bigger sibling 1238A. Would be interesting to know the reason for this, whether it was pricing or technical reasons.

For Neumann the obvious choice would have been the K+H O500 - only that they don't produce them anymore, which is a real shame. I once had the chance to hear the O500 at the Neumann development site near Hannover, and it was a really breathtaking speaker.

ATC SCM 150 _ MEG RL 901K.jpeg

This was then the outcome of the comparison, here to be seen in BR's Studio 2:

image4__BR Studio 2.jpg

pictures: https://www.bleisaetze.de

Last edited:
Reactions: c1ferrari

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
By the way, I have very fond memories of the active ATC 150s. I couldn't afford them at the time, even less so today, but they have always been on my dream list!
I'm contemplating the SCM150ASL Pro to mitigate cost.

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
I'm contemplating the SCM150ASL Pro to mitigate cost.
Makes sense, presumably the difference is only aesthetic rather than performance related.

Reactions: c1ferrari

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
I've had several occasions to hear ME Geithain. Most of the time, they were playing some metal like Ramstein (or something like that). They do play loud.... but then I got the doppler effect when I started running away.
I have only heard a couple powered speakers that I could live with listening for pleasure. ATC, Genelec and ADAM.... leave it for the studio.
I could probably be able to adjust to Dynaudio..... Dunno what the hype was about the Grimm LS1 either. Never cared for them.....

PTE Phoenix review

and

Focal Trio
Commentary/opinions regarding the Kii's?

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Palm Beach County, Florida
After reading this thread and a couple of other articles on active/semi-active speakers, it sounds like the Avantgarde Zero 1 TA might be a good choice for an SET setup. I have 5 SET amps, different tubes, different power levels that I currently use with a DHT preamp and Line Magnetic speakers. The sound is nice in a small/medium sized room on Jazz, Blues, solo vocal, etc. I'm not much of a classical guy and I listen to rock on my bigger solid state system. The LM speakers obviously don't go all that low and I'm thinking I might get a more coherent sound with the Zero TA than I would adding a crossover and subs to the Line Magnetics.

If I could get a used pair at a good price I might give it a go. They seem to sell for about $8K used based upon Hifishark and there's one a site I'm not familiar with in Canada for about that price. I'm pondering on this or a VOTT A7 build and obviously the footprint on the Avantgardes are much more wife friendly. Any thoughts?

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
After reading this thread and a couple of other articles on active/semi-active speakers, it sounds like the Avantgarde Zero 1 TA might be a good choice for an SET setup.
AFAIK the Zero 1s are fully active. I listened to them recently and they sounded very good and looked strange -- in a good / cool :cool:way!
If I could get a used pair at a good price I might give it a go. They seem to sell for about $8K used based upon Hifishark and there's one a site I'm not familiar with in Canada for about that price. I'm pondering on this or a VOTT A7 build and obviously the footprint on the Avantgardes are much more wife friendly. Any thoughts?
I would say the Vott are wife hostile!
Aesthetically speaking, between the two the Zero are a no brianer ;)

Reactions: ihmeyers

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Palm Beach County, Florida
AFAIK the Zero 1s are fully active. I listened to them recently and they sounded very good and looked strange -- in a good / cool :cool:way!

I would say the Vott are wife hostile!
Aesthetically speaking, between the two the Zero are a no brianer ;)

The newer Avantagardes are semi-active.

The woofer is powered internally but the mid and upper horns are not. What's strange to me is that there's DSP to adjust woofer room response but it appears from what I have read it's manually adjusted. JMO, but I ould think that almost defeats the point of the active woofer.

The VOTT as designed is certainly wife hostile. I love that term. I would have a cabinet maker I know strip it down and veneer and finish it. That would look much better but it still wouldn't be wife friendly even though you can make them look beautiful. Plus it adds ~ $3k to the cost.

Audiomart seller has a pait of VOTT 7s he has restored. I'm sure the guy has a lot of time into it but the price is off-the-charts. He started at $30k, and has been trying to sell it for almost a year.

3778342-25c55765-altec-vott-a7-resto-mod-furniture-grade-restoration-voice-of-the-theater.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Gregm

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
The all-new Dynaudio Focus 50 Active Wireless speakers are the very best we have ever heard yet ! You all need to go listen to these amazing speakers, one of the very best at any price ! :p

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
New review on the new Dynaudio Focus 50 Active Wireless Speakers is coming soon ! :):cool:

Last edited:

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
More info on the all new Dynaudio Focus Series Videos here. The Future of Speakers is Now

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing