Adcom GCD 575 - A dinosaur from the past?

Ultrafast69

VIP/Donor
Aug 27, 2018
Seattle, WA
www.audio-ultra.com
Hello WBF -

Can an old work horse come out of retirement?

From what I recall the Adcom GCD 575 turned some heads back in the day and that is what drove me to buy not only the CD player but an Adcom system when I had the chance to hear what I was reading at The Navy Exchange, Submarine Base Pearl Harbor, circa 1990. I still have the CD Player sitting on a shelf and considering either playing this, modifying this, or seeing if someone else wants this.

I attached an article I found, and going back almost 30 years, much of the fundamental marketing highlights still plays today, which I guess makes sense since it was a CD player then, as a CD player is still now.

True all things advance, but can’t help but wanting to plug this thing in with some new cables and tweaks and seeing how this holds up coming out very much different gear and speakers of today.

I would suspect the internal DAC does not hold up much anymore against todays DAC's, but if I bypassed the DAC coming out as Digital, anyone know or guess how the transport will hold up as a source?

Is it even worth my time in doing?

Attachments

• Adcom GCD-575 CD Player Brochure.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 5

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing