Adding a pre amp to a fairly resolving system

MrSingh'sStereo

Feb 1, 2022
Hello audio friends,
I listen to music almost exclusively in a near field , generally low volume environment due to an expanding family.
I recently placed an order for a Rossini Player Apex blind ( replaced my dCS Bartok and Meridian 808 cd player) where the improved output stage should facilitate low volume listening .
However I am considering a relatvely cheap (!) pre amp to further enhance low level listening and allow me to reintroduce analogue sources (and possibly allow headphone listening).
XLR input (for the rossini) and outputs (to the ch A1.5 amp) would be preferred. Sound signature - neutral or a little tube like warmth.
I had on my short list - Townshend Allegri + ( cheap, small size but lacks XLR and no remote control) ; Townshend Allegri Reference ( but lacks headphone output) ; Benchmark HP4 (measures well but dealer doesnt recommend it) ; Naim Unit Headphone Amp ( dealer says it will do the job but I dont need the DAC processing) ;
Welcome any suggestions and advice.
Thank you

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
IMO, any pre you get that is not in the same league (or better) than your system will reduce transparency. With all due respect, I don;t think any of the ones you mention are even remotely in the same league (btw, I have heard both the Benchmark & the Townshend and I would have preferred the Bench over the Townshend).

In other words, you will compromise your system -- which is a pity after all: your CH precision is a fine amp and your speakers are top notch.
Why not try a passive, TVC or similar? There are many around - even based on light-sensitive diodes. You can get a separate dedicated amp for the earphones.
My TVC provides very satisfactory sound at low volume - I actually prefer it to my active "hi-end" pre

TDX

Jan 14, 2020
You need a matching Pre. You already done everything else right.

geetee1972

Feb 12, 2021
My experince of adding a pre-amp in between a DAC with volume conrtol (a Lampizator Golden Gate) and my power amp/speakers (Silvercore 833 MKII SETs into Horns FP10s) was that even a relatively cheap pre-amp made a big difference.
The cheapest pre-amp I tried, and one i would highly recommend, was a Linear Tube Audio Microzotyl MZ3, which is both a pre-amp and a headphone amp. It was truly excellent and added a great deal to my system; not as much as the far better pre amp I ended up buying, but more than enough to justify its inclusion.
I also tried a fully silver wound Music First passive, which was very good, and far more expensive examples by Conrad Johnson (awful and very over priced in my view), Audio Note (an M5, lovely but made the CJ look reasonably priced), and a bizzare example by Dalby where someone had forgotten to include the bass.
My favourite of the ones I tried but didn't buy was the KR Audio P135, which was utterly delightlful with 45 output tubes, four inputs, a phono option but no headphone socket.
I ended up with a second hand Concert Fidelity CF080, which would have also been preposterously expensive new.

I would suggest considering the LTA as the design of those is tube based and licensed from David Berning and is quite wonderous plus it's also a headphone amp.

p.s. I also auditioned the Stenheim Alumine 3 speakers - again, very lovely indeed but the price made me wonder if someone had made a mistake!

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
The cheapest pre-amp I tried, and one i would highly recommend, was a Linear Tube Audio Microzotyl MZ3, which is both a pre-amp and a headphone amp. It was truly excellent and added a great deal to my system; not as much as the far better pre amp I ended up buying, but more than enough to justify its inclusion.
I second that recommendation. I must make an exception for the Linear Tube Audio you mentioned -- it's an exceptional product at an exceptional price.

Reactions: geetee1972

geetee1972

Feb 12, 2021
Beautiful room!
Thank you kindly! I did put a lot of effort into this room; it was a very deliberate construct. This is the house I bought after my divorce as is the hifi. Having lived in a pretty abusive marriage for ten years, where even music was not available as a retreat, I promised myself I would buy the best hifi could and put it into the most beautiful room I could create. It is indeed my happy place and I was not prepared for quite how theraputic that ended up being.

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
You have, indeed, created an inspiring musical retreat! My room is a tad larger (3.15m x 5.05) -- but doesn't compare aesthetically to yours :)

lordcloud

Jul 5, 2016
Round Rock, Texas
There's absolutely no way the Benchmark pre would be a limiting factor as far as transparency goes. The Benchmark would likely be one of, if not the, most transparent piece of the system.

If you like the sound of your components already, then the Benchmark will fit in perfectly. If you're wanting to add or subtract something, then you don't want the Benchmark.

Reactions: cjf

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
I second that recommendation. I must make an exception for the Linear Tube Audio you mentioned -- it's an exceptional product at an exceptional price.
Agree as well. We all have our individual taste. I’d prefer this and the KR Audio P135 over the Benchmark. So, no doubt, to each their own.
Charles

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
Thank you kindly! I did put a lot of effort into this room; it was a very deliberate construct. This is the house I bought after my divorce as is the hifi. Having lived in a pretty abusive marriage for ten years, where even music was not available as a retreat, I promised myself I would buy the best hifi could and put it into the most beautiful room I could create. It is indeed my happy place and I was not prepared for quite how theraputic that ended up being.
The effort and subsequent result is evident. I imagine your room is filled with beautiful music reproduction via mere milli watts of power.
Charles

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012
I would suggest an EMIA autoformer. If you don’t need gain (and hardly any systems these days do), the autoformer will provide excellent sound quality.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
Bespoke Audio pre works very well with my DCS

Dasign

Mar 20, 2018
There's absolutely no way the Benchmark pre would be a limiting factor as far as transparency goes. The Benchmark would likely be one of, if not the, most transparent piece of the system.

If you like the sound of your components already, then the Benchmark will fit in perfectly. If you're wanting to add or subtract something, then you don't want the Benchmark.
Totally agree with your comment. I own a Benchmark LA-4 line amp which I inserted between a Benchmark DAC3- HGC and my Classe Audio CAM-600 monoblocks. The soundstage/imaging increased in volume and quality. Eventually replaced the Benchmark DAC with a Denafrips Terminator Plus. I am in heaven…

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing