Adding the Primary Control Kinea as a source to my existing digital gear

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
Hi all, I am a long term listener to exclusive digital gear, through CD's first and the last number of years from a server through a DAC. But a couple of months ago I added a turntable to the stable and I want to share my experience of it herewith.
My analog gear is not comprised of a Primary Control Kinea DD turntable, a Gravity tonearm from the same brand, a Lyra Etna cartridge, a Signal Project Atlantis phono cable (DIN to XLR), and a Aries Cerat Talos Reference phono stage.
As I like to take some pictures, here you find some :)

Primary Control Kinea 20181215 - DSC03816.jpg

Primary Control Kinea 20181215 - DSC03807_.jpg
Primary Control Kinea 20181215 - DSC03800_.jpg Primary Control Kinea 20181215 - DSC03811_.jpg

Why choose Primary Control? As everyone warned me about how fussy a turntable can be, I wanted it to be as little fussy as possible yet without compromising on the typical sound benefit a turntable should bring. Therefore I was looking for a high end direct drive turntable that is not only of extremely good quality but also visually matching my other gear and pretty stealthy.
The Kinea from Primary Control was ticking all the boxes! A few audiophile friends that came along in the last couple of weeks, owning themselves some big systems were all impressed with the quality of the turntable, which indicates that it was a correct assessment.

Functionally of course, playing vinyl is a whole different experience than piloting a server on a tablet from your coach! The 'only' upside I see to it is that you are kind of obliged to listen to a whole side of an album, listening (and appreciating) therefore also other tracks you normally would skip. Soundwise however, the upside is a whole lot bigger, more dynamics, more depth, better tone, more resolution.
There is an important BUT though, a lot depends on the quality of your digital gear of course as it determines the gap with the analog. In my case, the sonic upside is not systematically there though more often yes than not!
I have quite a number of albums in both vinyl and in digital quality, this allows me to very easily compare the two sources by simply switching the input on my preamp and sometimes the difference is really big, but again not systematically.

I think I now ended up listening 50/50 to digital and analog. If I had to choose to ditch one of the sources, it would be really hard to make a choice, except for those albums (and there are quite a lot of them) where the difference is really there :)

Last edited:

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
Hi Michel

Media does not show but as I have been to your place I have a pretty good idea about your feelings. Welcome to the analog club.

Kind regards,

Denis

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
Hi Michel

Media does not show but as I have been to your place I have a pretty good idea about your feelings. Welcome to the analog club.

Kind regards,

Denis
Thanks for mentioning about the pictures, I think it is OK now. And thanks for the welcome :D

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
Nice pictures, this Primary control turntable is looking very good on the Stacore, classy!
Happy listening and congrats Flyer!

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
Nice pictures, this Primary control turntable is looking very good on the Stacore, classy!
Happy listening and congrats Flyer!
yes, the size seems made for it :cool:

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Surely the main reason why you chose Primary Control turntable is that you are the distributor ;)

Nice to hear you are enjoying it more than your digital.

How many albums do you have to spin?
Cheers

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
Surely the main reason why you chose Primary Control turntable is that you are the distributor ;)

Nice to hear you are enjoying it more than your digital.

How many albums do you have to spin?
Cheers
I must have about 200 albums by now of which 95% classical.

To clear things up, I choose the Primary Control because it fitted all I was looking for in a turntable and the company agreed with me to be their local dealer, not the other way round .

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing