Advice appreciated (SF guarneri Tradition, Focal and others )

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I used to have a pair of Guarneri Homage (GH) (without sub) for many years before it was replaced eventually by Amati Futura. Futura sounded significantly better in my setup as compared to GH. It can play much louder without compression, better dynamics, better highs and lows and the scale is so much bigger. GH does image slightly better with more pinpoint imaging but in terms of soundstage width and depth, Futura is superior. I have friends who are using subwoofer in their system with huge speakers and it does improve the sound of their setup, system has more power, more dynamics and sound like it has plenty of reserve. Their main speakers are XLF with JL Audio and Kharma Exquisite Extreme Grand Limited with JL Gotham. So do experiment the subwooder with the Guarneri or even with the Serafino.
Interesting Annapurna, do you recall any of the details around how the XLF and Kharma's are dialed in with those subs?
- 1 sub or 2?
- are the main speakers running full range or cut off below a certain hz?
- do you happen to know the 'crossover point/range' between the main speakers and the sub?

Annapurna

Mar 19, 2018
Interesting Annapurna, do you recall any of the details around how the XLF and Kharma's are dialed in with those subs?
- 1 sub or 2?
- are the main speakers running full range or cut off below a certain hz?
- do you happen to know the 'crossover point/range' between the main speakers and the sub?
Hi LL21, most of my friends setup are using 2 subwoofers. I did not remember how they set the crossover but I can remember they were using the JL Audio CR-1 Active Crossover. One of the good friend upgraded to Wilson XVX about a year ago and more recently early this year changed to WAMM Master Chronosonic. His WAMM has got 2 WAMM master subsonic with Wilson Audio active crossover also. As far as I know, the local dealer is still providing support to ensure he gets the best sound from the WAMM including placement of the main speakers, the subwoofers and the crossover frequency.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thank you! Helpful to know.

Annapurna

Mar 19, 2018
Thank you! Helpful to know.
From those friends and the local dealers who helped with the setup of the subwoofers, the consensus is that double subs are better and it is mandatory to have an active crossover to interface between the main speakers and subs. Of course placement of the subs is important as well.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
From those friends and the local dealers who helped with the setup of the subwoofers, the consensus is that double subs are better and it is mandatory to have an active crossover to interface between the main speakers and subs. Of course placement of the subs is important as well.
Thank you!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing