advice on room treatment

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
That is a beautiful space germinal. I would bring in a professional room treatment service. You can tell them what you consider important to make you like the sound and they will design the accoustic to suit your taste.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
At the bottom 2.5 metres from
The front wall.. top of the speakers around 1 metre.. but can easily put them 1 metre more in the room..

In understand what your are saying.. don’t touch the ceiling.. but absorb low to the floor.. the boxes I inted to make I could easily place em on the floor against the sidewalls.. the lowest point of the windows is 110 cm..

Question is : does this create similar effect ?
Because you are using Dipoles, as a first step I would make the back wall perpendicular with Diffusors.
This is important for the backwave from your Dipoles not to be directed towards the floor but perpendicular back into the room. The space behind the Diffusors, you can use to place quite a lot of Absorption there.

Because of the dipole radiation pattern (cylinder wave) of your speakers, they send very little sound to the floor and ceiling anyways.

I would do that and then listen for some time to re-evaluate the room.
Only one measure after the other with enough time to get acquainted with your sound between the steps.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Because you are using Dipoles, as a first step I would make the back wall perpendicular with Diffusors.
This is important for the backwave from your Dipoles not to be directed towards the floor but perpendicular back into the room. The space behind the Diffusors, you can use to place quite a lot of Absorption there.

Because of the dipole radiation pattern (cylinder wave) of your speakers, they send very little sound to the floor and ceiling anyways.

Only one measure after the other with enough time to get acquainted with your sound between the steps.
Or you could use ZR Acoustics panels behind your dipoles in which case you wouldn't have to worry about making the wall perpendicular or need to add any absorptive material.

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
I have been through room acoustic treatment painfully. I learned some and regretted some. Ideally you can get an expert to come into your house and plan according to your listening position. They do good job I heard from people who used them. But it comes at a cost.
I did myself and am fairly happy with the results.
Best bang for buck will be to start with diffusion panels between dipoles (I have tried different panels, but vicoustics are amazing). You will need bass traps in corners behind speakers. This will take care of most of the needs for room treatment, given the type of walls you have.
With sloping walls like yours, you will have experiment with diffusion/absorption panels in different position and you will find a sweet spot. This will need some effort and time. One thing to avoid is having any diffusion "only" panels close to your listening position. This will create unbearable brightness.
Good luck and let us know how you proceed and with your results. Happy to learn from your experiment.

germinal

Nov 5, 2021

putting diffusers behind the dipoles.. won't this result in the sound going everywhere ? so mounting diffusers perpendicular or on the sloped wall.... is there actually is a difference ?

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
putting diffusers behind the dipoles.. won't this result in the sound going everywhere ? so mounting diffusers perpendicular or on the sloped wall.... is there actually is a difference ?
Diffusion requires lots of space to work properly. From your photo it looks like your speakers might have to be too close to the wall behind them for diffusers, and it also looks like the sloped side beams/walls might interfere with diffusion. If that is the case then you are better off trying to focus on reducing/eliminating reflections, hence my recommendation of the ZR panels.

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
Why don’t you reach out to Joël Chevassus who has a listening room very similar to yours and who has achieved some very good acoustic treatment. You are both located in the same country.

germinal

Nov 5, 2021
Are

are they Magnapan speakers?

no.. Diptyque DP-160

@Addicted to hifi : I have now - like you might know - the Cornwall on test. The thing thatI miss with the Cornwalls is the sheer immediacy/impact of instruments I get with the Diptyques.

In my opinion the imaging is also much better with the Diptyque.

The Cornwalls present a forward soundstage that seems to come to you... whereas with the Diptyques you always want to sit on the edge of your chair/sofa because the music seems to play between the speakers..

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
no.. Diptyque DP-160

@Addicted to hifi : I have now - like you might know - the Cornwall on test. The thing thatI miss with the Cornwalls is the sheer immediacy/impact of instruments I get with the Diptyques.

In my opinion the imaging is also much better with the Diptyque.

The Cornwalls present a forward soundstage that seems to come to you... whereas with the Diptyques you always want to sit on the edge of your chair/sofa because the music seems to play between the speakers..
Yes two very different sounding loudspeakers.

germinal

Nov 5, 2021
Yes two very different sounding loudspeakers.
Different.. but both excellent none the less..

One makes you hear details in good recordings you don’t hear with many other speakers ( Diptyque) there is this intimate connection to the music. In particular with accoustic music.

the other makes even bad recordings sound good ( Cornwall ) with nice palpatable bass and great dynamics. It’s a speaker than can become your friend in a very short time.

Actually I d like to keep em both ?

isnt there a speaker that combines these qualities ??

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia

One makes you hear details in good recordings you don’t hear with many other speakers ( Diptyque) there is this intimate connection to the music. In particular with accoustic music.

the other makes even bad recordings sound good ( Cornwall ) with nice palpatable bass and great dynamics. It’s a speaker than can become your friend in a very short time.

Excellent idea to keep Both.i use klipsch and Magnapan speakers and swap them over for a change in sound.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia

Not one speaker that I have heard can do everything,that’s why i have 2 different speaker systems.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
What do you use most ? Do you use different amps ? And what music do you prefer on the maggies ?
I use a mcintosh mc152 150 watt amplifier on the la Scalas and a mcintosh mc462 450 watt on the magnapan 30.7s. i like the klipsch for pop and rock music and the Maggie’s for classical,jazz and acoustic and vocal music.i use the klipsch more than the Maggie’s but I love both of them.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
View attachment 84958

So this is my listening room.. no treatment as of yet... reverb time at the moment ranging from 2 sec (low Freq) to 1.2 sec (higher Freq) want to get this to around 0.5

Size of the room is 11 metres x 9 metres (floor surface) x 3.7 metres high ceiling (highest point)

I was thinking of DIY.. and utilizing the horizontal beams where the lights are resting up (they are located at 2.5 metres above the floor)

Basically I was thinking about making boxes with Rockwool. 4 boxes of each 2.4 metres long and 1.2 metres wide. and putting them on the beams... this would give me almost 12m2 of acoustic material..

behind the speakers I would put some diffusers..

Do you think this would be a good idea ? something else I'm missing ? I don't think I need to worry too much about first reflections in this room.. because of - in my opinion - the sloped walls, the sound waves tend to bounce upwards.

Thanks for any input
Nine months after your original post I tried ASI "Sugar Cubes" instead of additional panels to complete my ceiling acoustical treatment (see photo) and was surprised at how effective they were. I was inspired to do this after reading about their similar use by Asian audiophiles in very high end systems (e.g., Audio Exotics, Hiendy.com) - photos below. Based on my own experience and what I've read I would expect Sugar Cubes spaced 20"-24" apart along the various beams and cross members in your listening room to effectively take them out of the equation as sources of reflections. At $12.00 each from The Cable Company it wouldn't cost much to experiment.

Attachments

• ceiling (2).jpg
    ceiling (2).jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 19
  • ceiling sugar cubes.jpg
    ceiling sugar cubes.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 18
  • 231816sm0a1wzxxw4ams1a.jpg
    231816sm0a1wzxxw4ams1a.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 7254_photo.jpg
    7254_photo.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 18

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing