Advice on Solid State Amp (Dartzeel and Audiopax Preamps)

Vicks7

Jul 1, 2013
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Hi all, I am running Evolution Acoustic MMTwo speakers with the new Audiopax L50 hybrid preamp and M100 monoblock tube amplifiers. I also have a Dartzeel preamp (18NS Model 1) which I have been using as phono and preamp.

Given the scarcity in tubes due to the recent conflict and also just to have a different flavor, I would like to get a solid state amp (it could be second-hand) and I am looking for recommendations. Unfortunately I do not have the budget at the moment for a Dartzeel 108 which would probably make sense given the synergy with the Dart pre and my speakers; I would not want to spend much more than $5,000-US$8,000. My equipment is set up on the side wall and I run a long interconnect between the pre-amp and the power amps that reside between and behind the speakers. It would be good if the amp had balanced ins as well as single ended as I currently have balanced cables (Ocellia) so would prefer to avoid having to buy new single ended interconnects.

Thanks all in advance,

James

JAB

Jul 22, 2015
Wow you have the Audiopax new hybrid pre
What do you think?
To your question of amps
You did not post efficiency so I am thinking some Pass amps ,Bryson amps or Ayres
I am in US so don’t know availability there

aLLeARS

VIP/Donor
Feb 20, 2020
Here's one that looks like it could fit the requirements.
Atma-Sphere class-D.
They are mono-blocks, have both balanced and unbalanced inputs and list for under $6k.
They are only 100 Watts into 8 Ohms. But if you listen at moderate volumes that could work with your speakers.
I replaced my fully modded M60 OTL tube amps with them.
They are very musical sounding amps.

Reactions: Vicks7

Vicks7

Jul 1, 2013
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Wow you have the Audiopax new hybrid pre
What do you think?
To your question of amps
You did not post efficiency so I am thinking some Pass amps ,Bryson amps or Ayres
I am in US so don’t know availability there
Thanks JAB. The new Audiopax L50 hybrid pre is superb. It now includes a tube stage (in a cathode follower mode with automatic bias adjustment using ECC82/12AU7 tubes). Its a marked improvement on the original L50, particularly in terms of what I can only describe as the layering of the music that is presented. Audiopax recently presented it at a show in the UK and I think received a number of orders - very pleased for them as the product deserves more attention but the Brazilian hi-end market is very limited.

In relation to your question, my Evolution Acoustic MMTwos are 93dB/7 Ohm impedance.

Reactions: Cesar Miranda

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Hi all, I am running Evolution Acoustic MMTwo speakers with the new Audiopax L50 hybrid preamp and M100 monoblock tube amplifiers. I also have a Dartzeel preamp (18NS Model 1) which I have been using as phono and preamp.

Given the scarcity in tubes due to the recent conflict and also just to have a different flavor, I would like to get a solid state amp (it could be second-hand) and I am looking for recommendations. Unfortunately I do not have the budget at the moment for a Dartzeel 108 which would probably make sense given the synergy with the Dart pre and my speakers; I would not want to spend much more than $5,000-US$8,000. My equipment is set up on the side wall and I run a long interconnect between the pre-amp and the power amps that reside between and behind the speakers. It would be good if the amp had balanced ins as well as single ended as I currently have balanced cables (Ocellia) so would prefer to avoid having to buy new single ended interconnects.

Thanks all in advance,

James
Hi James,
I see you already have a DarTZeel 18NS pre-amp. I know it's considerably more than your budget, but if you can, try to find a pre-owned 108. They occasionally come up in the mid-$20s. Even a Mark I is fine - you can send this into DarTZeel later to be upgraded to a Mark II or III (in the future!). The synergy with your 18NS using the Zeel 50 ohm connections is unbeatable. And then you are done with upgrading.

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
Within your budget you’re going to be hard pressed to beat the Norma PA-150. Brand new it comes in at your top budget. It’s a very high current design with an extremely low noise floor and erring on dark presentation. I have not compared it directly to the dartzeel but I have compared the integrated IPA-140 to several separates systems multiples its price point and it put them all to shame.

Republicoftexas69

Within your budget you’re going to be hard pressed to beat the Norma PA-150. Brand new it comes in at your top budget. It’s a very high current design with an extremely low noise floor and erring on dark presentation. I have not compared it directly to the dartzeel but I have compared the integrated IPA-140 to several separates systems multiples its price point and it put them all to shame.
I will second Skip's slightly biased view. I have had the pleasure of hearing the Norma line at Skips listening studio and they are quite exquisite sounding. And I have the Norma IPA-140 (sorry Skip found a great used one in NY) in one of my systems and it is one of the best integrated amplifiers I have heard. You should audition Norma. Listening to the IA-140 now.

Tabl10s

Jul 30, 2019
Sacramento

Thanks all in advance,

James
I have the amp you want and you've got have the preamp I need...

Last edited:

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
While neither are particularly popular on this forum, Bryston and Balanced Audio Technology both make very nice solid state amps, with used units often available.

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
If you find a $5-8k amp that brings the best out of your $50k speakers...Tell nobody, buy them out, relabel them and sell em for $25k ahem $40k retail.

Reactions: Zeotrope and Vicks7

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
I know Benchmark makes the only real amp in the world and the rest of us are fools or just have too much money.

Vicks7

Jul 1, 2013
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Thanks all. I am in the process of updating my DarTZeel 18NS pre-amp to Model 2. After this I will turn back to the amp. I think if I could find a good pre-owned 108 that may make sense if I have the funds.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing