Aesthetix Io Output Connection Poll

Which Io output do you use to connect your line stage preamplifier?

• I use RCA output to connect to line stage preamp

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • I use XLR output to connect to line stage preamp

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Which output (RCA or XLR) do you use on your Io to connect to a line stage preamplifier?

What sonic differences do you hear between using the RCA output and the XLR output of the Io?

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I would also want to know, vis a vis a discussion in the 'on cables' thread; is anyone privy to the schematic / implementation of the balanced output?

From the manual:

"Output impedance: 1K ohms SE, 600 ohms balanced"

Transformer?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
We know Jim White likes the balanced input on the Io. I never asked him which output he prefers.

jaxdr

Feb 21, 2017
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
I use the balanced outputs out of my IO into my ARC Ref10 SE. I must admit that my balanced cables (Tara Labs Evolution) are a much better set of cables compared with my single-ended (Cardas Cross) and thus provide an advantage to balanced. Most notable, the balanced outputs provide greater dynamics, transparency and density that the single-ended can not match.

If I remember correctly when I purchased the IO I was led to believe that balanced was the way to go. It was someone at Aesthetix but I can not recall who.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
It is very interesting to me that you find the balanced outputs to provide greater “density” compared to the single-ended outputs.

Thank you for your reply.

thekong

May 10, 2012
I use XLR cables from Io to Callisto. Since I don’t have 2 identical sets of cables with XLR and RCA, I have never compared the two input/output. I can’t recall why, but I am under the impression that Jim White prefers the XLRs.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I use both, obviously XlR mad RCA have different characteristics. XLR has higher gain but the Io has tons of gain. Since you have a great preamp I would look at which input is preferred on the VTL. Tubes may make a difference. The audiogon link below has feedback on RCA vs XLR. I would lean to XLR from the Io to the VTL and I would go with Cardas Clear Beyond. I know you will listen and make your own choice.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
get the same cable xlr twice, rca do volume equalization. I think with short cables the xlr will have no advantage, only with longer cables because of better noise reduction. because most devices do not have a complete symmetrical signal routing internally.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing