Ageto Pre-Amplifier & QuintEssence TriodeFET Amplifier

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
I'd like to share my thoughts and experiences about some audio equipment I tested at Aries Cerat. Initially, I had interaction with CH Precision 17 months ago, but I didn't visit Switzerland to listen to it. I did have ample time to experience it in Singapore and Hong Kong, and I was quite impressed. Despite my fondness for CH gear, I still believe that SET amplifiers evoke more emotions when I critically listen to music, but they often lack the power, bass, and control that some musical genres require. While I still hold CH Precision in high esteem, I wasn't ready to take the leap and become a distributor.

CH Precision gear was available for distribution in Indonesia, but my preference for SET amps and tube amps was stronger. I prefer high-sensitivity speakers with tube amps but maintenance and cost of tubes was becoming a concern, not to mention reliability issues with some tubes failing before their expected lifespan.

Talks with Stavros and his new TriodeFet amplifier technology, a single-stage single-ended design, intrigued me. Despite my skepticism of Stavros' comparison to tube amps, I decided to fly to Cyprus and compare the TriodeFet to his tube amps. I went with the intention of potentially acquiring his Genus amplifiers if I liked what I heard

I was surprised by the performance of the TriodeFet amplifiers after comparing them to Aries Cerat's high-end Concero 65 LE and Virgo pre-amp. Despite costing less, the TriodeFet amplifiers were superior in terms of emotion, smoothness, transparency, dynamics, and low-level ambience. The sound had a rich midrange that SET amplifiers excel in and felt true to life

Stavros demonstrated the flexibility of the TriodeFet amplifiers by showing me how to adjust tubes and bias/current settings, making it possible to achieve the best qualities of solid state, OTL, and SET amps in one box. Regardless of the tubes used or bias setting, the sound remained smooth and enjoyable, and the use of two small tubes was cost-effective, had a low noise floor, and was reliable.

The TriodeFet amplifiers are incredibly quiet, even with 100db horn sensitivity, no hiss, buzz, or noise can be heard. I have experienced many solid-state amps that are much noisier and tubes amps often have some form of noise. The amplifiers run cool even after being on all day and even on 110db Contedo speakers, no noise, hiss, hum, or buzz was heard. Although impressive, this was not the main reason I decided to secure distribution for my region.

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
OK--So after searching for something extraordinary in amplification since now CH Amps were my benchmark, I was rather shocked on how the Ageto & QuintEssence mated so well. It has all the texture, timbre and midrange density of the very best SET Amplifiers, the Speed and Transparency of my Atma-Sphere Amplifiers yet the Power, Grunt and control of the Solid States i have once owned in the past or heard at others. Transients, low-level ambience, micro dynamics and Rich Tonal midrange was excelled in spades. Whilst i have not tested the amplifiers on low-sensitivity conventional drivers it has performed extremely well on horns speakers.

efdf.jpg Triode_Fet_Aries_Cerat.jpg

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
The amplifier's smooth, dynamic, and transparent sound, coupled with its ability to bring music to life with soul and emotion, is the most impressive aspect. I became a distributor after experiencing it firsthand.

I believe Aries Cerat's design, which uses Triode Tubes and FETs in a Single Ended Single Stage Amplifier, is the next step in amplifier technology. What's most important to me is how it sounds, not necessarily the technology claims.

efdf.jpg Triode_Fet-Rear.jpg Triode_Fet_RearPanel.jpg

Last edited:

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
Later I will post Pictures of the Ageto Pre-amp.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
What is the difference between Ianus Essentia and Ianus Qintessencia

Aries Cerat

Industry Expert
May 30, 2015
Hello

The Quintessence is an evolution of the single ended/single stage of the Essentia. It is not just an higher power model,but rather more evolved circuit based on the TriodeFet tech.

It is also the most powerful SE amp we design, since the rated 60W is on the low side of the true power.

Best
Stavros

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
So Essentia is discontinued?

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Ok

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
once again share images of the Ageto Pre-Amplifier, although it must be noted that the images provided by Aries Cerat are of a significantly higher clarity. Despite my limited understanding of the intricacies of the inverted triode engineering employed in the creation of this pre-amp, I have found that my curiosity takes a backseat to the ultimate objective of evaluating its auditory performance. A similar sentiment can be applied to the TriodeFet Amplifiers produced by Aries Cerat, being the sole purveyor of the world's first and only Single Ended Single Stage Amplifier. As audiophiles, it is ultimately the musical experience and emotional resonance that holds the greatest import.

ageto-Preamplifier-02.jpg ageto-Preamplifier-01.jpg

Each and every product from Aries Cerat undergoes a rigorous testing and listening phase, as evidenced by the ongoing evaluation of the pre-amplifier in question. This process is not limited to mere electronic assessments, as the founder, Stavros, dedicates a considerable amount of personal time to ensure the exceptional quality of each unit prior to its release to the public.

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
ageto-Preamplifier-0166433.jpg ageto-Preamplifier-013443.jpg

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
The demonstrated capabilities of the Ageto Pre-Amplifier, as exhibited by Stavros, have clearly demonstrated its ability to alter the overall sonic signature of a given system. When utilized in conjunction with the TriodeFet Amplifier, the flexibility to fine-tune the system to one's preference is unprecedented. At times, the system may exhibit a linear characteristic, at others, it may produce a sweet and lush sound. In some configurations, it has the capability to imbue the audio with a romantic and soft signature. Such versatility is a testament to the superior design of this equipment, and it is difficult to envision an owner wishing to part with such gear. With the ability to tailor the sound to one's individual preferences, this equipment truly has the potential to sing.

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
In conclusion, as my previous posts on this thread and the Aurora system have indicated, I am left in a state of amazement, disbelief, and complete awe. The sound produced and the system's ability to alter its sonic characteristics are truly impressive and have left a lasting impression on me. Furthermore, the emotional power this system has the capability to convey has been a truly unforgettable experience.

I plan to share videos captured from my iPhone, recorded in the coming days.

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
this... " I am left in a state of amazement, disbelief, and complete awe. The sound produced and the system's ability to alter its sonic characteristics are truly impressive and have left a lasting impression on me. Furthermore, the emotional power this system has the capability to convey has been a truly unforgettable experience."

i cant describe it better.

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
This is not the first single ended FET amplifier. Tim de Paravicini designed one more than 20 years ago called the EAR/Yoshino M100A. These were single-ended (and therefore class A by necessity) MOSFET amplifiers with 100W output. However, they do not have tubes but they do have output transformers !

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Yet, these cute terms, apart from "single ended" are not defined in any meaningful way; they could mean anything you want them to.
What more do you expect to be explained ? These are well known terms to describe the topology of an amplifier circuit .

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
I recently completed my participation in the Indonesian High-End Audio Show (IHEAC).

Even though I was assigned the smallest room at the show, which had more acoustic issues compared to other spaces, feedback suggested that our room was one of the best, if not the best, at the show. However, I personally felt that the system's potential was not fully utilized; it didn't reach even 50% of what I've experienced in our demo rooms.

An interesting observation from the show was the confusion among listeners about whether they were listening to a solid-state amplifier or a tube amplifier. When asked, they couldn't conclusively identify the type of amplifier. Some speculated it might be a hybrid, but I clarified that a hybrid couldn't be a single-stage amplifier. I want to emphasize that when you listen carefully to the music, it becomes impossible to determine the amplifier's design. It has a unique sound that can't be easily categorized.

Aries Cerat's technology is indeed groundbreaking, potentially being a first in its field. I usually don't give too much weight to the technological claims made by manufacturers, as they often sound promising but fail to meet expectations. The ultimate measure of these claims is always the listening experience, and unfortunately, most technologies with their advanced claims usually disappoint.

This is not the situation with Aries Cerat's TriodeFet systems. They not only have a legitimate claim to innovation, but their performance during the listening tests also substantiates this claim, demonstrating remarkable results.

At the IHEAC Show, many listeners expressed that the music in my room evoked strong emotions compared to other rooms. They questioned whether this was due to the speakers or the electronic equipment. While I didn't provide a specific answer, I have observed something noteworthy. Any speaker that is connected to the Aries Cerat pre-amp and power amps appears to enhance the emotional impact and liveliness of the music.

Reactions: MJG and Argonaut

Aries Cerat

Industry Expert
May 30, 2015
Si
Yet, these cute terms, apart from "single ended" are not defined in any meaningful way; they could mean anything you want them to.
Single stage, is pretty much well defined term and not a term you can bend to liking.
The name we gave to the tech might be cute, don't know about that :)

Cheers

Reactions: Stef and byrdparis

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing