Air Force Zero unveiling on March 16

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
According to their website the unveiling is coming up in a couple of days in Tokyo. I wonder if will be the prototype that we've seen pictures of floating on the web or a more finalized (or the final?) product? @JackD201 ?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The photo circulating was that of the skeleton :)

I'm guessing at least a quarter of the platter will not be visible on the final product.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
How was the sound? What was the rest of the system?
Unless they had the Af1 next to it with the same arm cart and even hand setup you couldnt say much except yeah it sounded nice. It was the whole system people were hearing and you know that Bill.

Tang :)

MatthewC

Aug 27, 2014
The rest of chain was techdas cartridge, Phantom Elite with techdas titanium arm wand and i think a bespoke counterweight, HSE Swiss phono, and Constellation pre and power driving Wilson Audio Alexx. Apparently they had only two hour to set up and I only made the last 30min of the presentation.... Straight from the airport.

The sound was very nice as in I couldn't find any thing to really fault, and the dynamic and power was impressive, without sounding hard/edgy even when playing at floor shaking (literally) level. Quite organic really, at the same time explosive and composed. Show condition not withstanding, I think this is one one hell of a turntable.

It is not 100 percent finalized yet, and some loose ends to tidy up still, like cable/hose routing underneath. But nonetheless glad that I made the trip to Tokyo to hear it.

For those lucky enough to afford one, or more as I heard a customer wanting to order two..... All I can say is.... life is so unfair!

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Unless they had the Af1 next to it with the same arm cart and even hand setup you couldnt say much except yeah it sounded nice. It was the whole system people were hearing and you know that Bill.

Tang :)

Yeah just curious really

The Phantom

Sep 6, 2012
The rest of chain was techdas cartridge, Phantom Elite with techdas titanium arm wand and i think a bespoke counterweight, HSE Swiss phono, and Constellation pre and power driving Wilson Audio Alexx. Apparently they had only two hour to set up and I only made the last 30min of the presentation.... Straight from the airport.

The sound was very nice as in I couldn't find any thing to really fault, and the dynamic and power was impressive, without sounding hard/edgy even when playing at floor shaking (literally) level. Quite organic really, at the same time explosive and composed. Show condition not withstanding, I think this is one one hell of a turntable.

It is not 100 percent finalized yet, and some loose ends to tidy up still, like cable/hose routing underneath. But nonetheless glad that I made the trip to Tokyo to hear it.

For those lucky enough to afford one, or more as I heard a customer wanting to order two..... All I can say is.... life is so unfair!

I wish I could have been there too. The system looks spectactular, even if I'm essentially complimenting my own Elite arm in the process..!! There may be one or two eventually appearing in the U.S, so maybe the lucky owner(s) can sell tickets to help pay for it..!
In the meantime, there's the upcoming Axpona, and we'll have three samples there: the AF-1 with Elite and TechDAS carridge, the AF-3/premium with a gold elite, and the new "Little Wonder", the AF-5, with Phantom III.

The Phantom

Sep 6, 2012
wish I could have been there too. The system looks spectactular, even if I'm essentially complimenting my own Elite arm in the process..!! There may be one or two eventually appearing in the U.S, so maybe the lucky owner(s) can sell tickets to help pay for it..!
In the meantime, there's the upcoming Axpona, and we'll have three samples there: the AF-1 with Elite and TechDAS carridge, the AF-3/premium with a gold elite, and the new "Little Wonder", the AF-5, with Phantom III.
Join me, won't you?
yours truly,
Johnny Dollar
(OK, so I snipped that from the the ending of the famous 50's radio program of the same name , but I thought it was a good line....) Bob Graham
Attach files Preview

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Bob we better get our jockstraps ready for when we deliver and commission. Pre-book sessions at the chiropractors too LOL

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ah Jack, I'm an osteopath so I'm gonna have to take exception to yr comment LOL.
Then again, I do advise people to stop lifting stupidly heavy items like the AF0.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
If one has to lift one’s own AFO then one possibly can’t afford to own one. That said I do rather like heavy things.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I pity the poor person who goes "lift a platter, no problemo".

Reactions: the sound of Tao

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
If one has to lift one’s own AFO then one possibly can’t afford to own one. That said I do rather like heavy things.

I'm one of the guys that gets paid to lift em. One thing for sure is that to own my own I gotta lift A LOT of them LOL

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area

It looks like it can only accommodate two tonearms so I can understand why he wants to buy two AF0 so he can get the full four tonearm experience of other Techdas models :)

Edit: actually I take that back, I see the front page of WBF has a photo taken from a higher angle.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing