Albert von Schweikert March 13, 1945 - May 29, 2020

patrickd

Jul 28, 2011
I am very sorry to learn of Albert's passing. I first got to know of him as an owner of a pair of VR-5s, and in my quest for more info and discussion about these designs I started an owner's forum on Audio Circle back in 2008. Albert was supportive from the start, frequently posting there and offering personal guidance on gear matching, placement, how to maximize sound quality etc to anyone who asked. In the intervening years I met him regularly at the RMAF gatherings where he would often host a dinner for circle members and generally regale us with stories about the industry and even the shenanigans of certain reviewers (my lips are sealed). He always had time for customers (even one or two whom I know pestered him endlessly for things that went far beyond regular service) and would try to help people get the best out of their rigs regardless.

Too many stories to tell - being chased out of a restaurant with Jimmy Page among others (yes, you read that right), or learning his speakers were on the receiving end of targeted negative review paid for by a rival are among my favorites, not to mention the time he convinced me to take over managing the room while he went out for bit (definitely not my forte but it was presented in such a charming manner that I did not feel I had an option to decline the invitation!). I recall all these now with sadness, but it was his easy manner and welcoming presence I remember most. Times move on, the company is larger and likely more an international business now, and well done Damon and Leif for that, but Albert made it feel like you were joining the family when you owned his speakers.

My condolences to Damon and the family, and Leif and the crew at VSA. I still own those 5s, now upgraded to Anni II's, and enjoy them daily.

Patrick

oldvinyl

Jun 3, 2017
Specific Northwest - Seattle area
The first time I met Albert was on a trip I made to Covina to audition a pair of speakers. Albert was demoing the VR-9s and I was actually shopping for a pair of VR-7s. As typical in SoCal, there was a small earthquake that evening during the listening session. Since then, I always state that the earth moved the first time I met Albert and heard Von Schweikert speakers.

As many have mentioned, Albert was generous with his time, passion for music, knowledge and friendship.

I will always cherish the times we spent dining and talking or in the living room listening. While Von Schweikert speakers are phenomenal, there was something really special about listening to music with the person that designed them. His hints and suggestions always helped get the last ounce of performance from the speakers - and allowed the music to speak for itself.

Rest in peace Albert.

My sincere condolences to Damon and the Von Schweikert family.

-- Randall, aka oldvinyl

Reactions: Leif S and JackD201

jbr7

May 19, 2020
Sorry to hear of your father's passing, Damon. I always enjoyed the few times I talked to him at various audio shows. He will always be remembered in my living room as I listen to my Unifield 2 Signature speakers. RIP.
Jim R. 9E3EB2B7-741E-490B-9657-C2824AA0DA06.jpeg

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Thank you for giving us a peek at the man who designed some wonderful speakers over the years. RIP

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
I have had the privilege of being part of the Von Schweikert family since 2007. In my biased opinion, Albert's entire speaker line is among the best in the world.

DB9ECCA8-3F96-4E09-A4B8-0D5B6121EC3A.jpeg D8647FD4-CF05-4F84-B520-B4D22ED56DC0.jpeg As great as his speaker designs were, Albert was even a better person. He spent many hours discussing speaker design and music with me. I admit, a lot of the speaker design stuff was over my head but I always appreciated his passion.

He visited Vegas frequently and made it a point to stop by home when he was in town. To my surprise, he was content to just sit and listen to music for hours after a long day of working. Many of our sessions ended well past midnight.

He made me feel part of the VSA family and I would frequently stop by the factory when I visited SoCal. He would give me an update of VSA's current products and a quick tour of the shop each time I came. His excitement about his new products was infectious.

I will miss seeing him at the various audio shows I attended. He would spot me in a room full of people and come and talk with me as if nothing else was going on. At one of the shows, I can remember Leif asking me and Albert to keep the noise down so the attendees could here the speakers:mad:

My deepest condolences to Damon, Leif and the entire VSA team. While I share in their grief, I am happy to know the company is in good hands and I am confident that and Damon and Leif will continue Albert's legacy.

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
When Bobby picked up the VS line in Singapore a few years back and went for a big introduction at their show (5 models including a pair of 9s and 11s!), Albert asked if we could go. Keith and I decided to prank him. We told him that unfortunately we couldn't make it. Of course we booked our flights and our hotel rooms.

The afternoon of the first day, the room as packed as the 11s played powered by two pairs of DXLs and we spotted Albert talking to Eunice at the back of the room. We did our best ninja impressions and sneaked directly behind them. As soon as the Jose Carreras track ended I blurted......"Those speakers SUCK!"

Albert and Eunice whipped around saw us and we all burst into laughter. Albert was a tall, strong man. He gave us some mighty bear hugs that day LOL Keith then handed him our little gift, his favorite drink, a can of Virgin lime soda we snagged at the Philippine Airlines lounge in Manila.

We had an even better prank though I'll save that one for later :D

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
Sorry to hear of your families loss Damon, your father was a brilliant designer and I remember my VR4s and VR5s fondly, He was at the vanguard of conventional dynamic speaker designs and a truly kind and patient soul; and together with Serblin, Nuddell, and Heil, A truly gifted desiner.
He left a legacy of brilliant designs that you and your brother have so ably become the torch bearer for, as the Ultra 11 is a speaker for the ages. He will be missed.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Dear Damon,

Thank you for this loving tribute to your father.

Tinka and I are terribly sorry to learn of the loss of Albert. Audio has lost a legend, and many people here have lost a friend.

Albert was a warm, sweet, charming and friendly person, who just happened to be one of the most brilliant and accomplished loudspeaker designers in history.

When I visited your office Albert spent a great deal of time with me, patiently answering my questions and engaging me deeply in genuine conversation. I enjoyed getting to know each of you over lunch that day.

You, Leif, and each of the other members of the Von Schweikert family have our deepest condolences.

B681FD18-6C27-47D6-86A3-B6897511DCA3.jpeg

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
It’s with deep regret that I share with all of you the passing of my father, Albert von Schweikert. He was dealing with a number of health related issues for the last few months but I can tell you with complete certainty that it never got him down. Even when we were separated by mandatory hospital quarantines from the outside world, he was always cheerful and happy on the phone. And when his time eventually came, it was swift and painless.

To say my father was my hero, role model, source of inspiration, knowledge and wisdom would be trite. He was all of those things and so much more to me and my family. So instead of going down that path, I’d like to share a very small but personal story that may give insight into how he touched my life in a very deep and meaningful way.

I was five years old when my dad gave me my first real chore. This wasn’t like picking up my toys or cleaning my room; he wanted me to help him with yard work. To me, this was real grown up stuff and to be frank I was very unsure about it. But he showed no concern and confidently led me outside.

We had this rubber tree that was taller than the roof of our house in Whittier California in 1975 which was impressive to a boy of my size even though our house was only one-story tall. I remember that you had to walk into the tree to get under the canopy but once inside there was a lot of room to move around. That said, the fallen leaves covered the ground and came up to my knees which again would only be impressive to a small child. He gave me a trash bag, asked me to pickup all the leaves and abruptly left me there alone. I spent a few minutes looking at all the leaves and realizing this job was way beyond my ability; I was utterly overwhelmed. I ran to my dad crying. He was concerned and asked what was wrong, I’m sure he was thinking I somehow hurt myself or was stung by a bee which wasn’t uncommon back when we had so many orange groves in So-Cal. But I told him the job was way too big for me, it simply wasn’t possible for me to take on such a humongous task.

What I remember most about that moment is how patient he was with me; he simply didn’t have the impatient urge to scolded me or raise his voice in frustration. If he did, he didn’t show it. He simply guided me back under the canopy and asked me to pick up one leaf. Once I did, he instructed me to put it in the bag which I did. He stayed there coaching me long enough until I could see the ground under my feet. Then he said, “See Damon, it’s just that simple. Don’t look at all the work ahead, only focus on picking up each leaf and putting it in the bag.”

Clearly for me, this was a profound and life altering epiphany. Needless to say I knocked that job out quickly and was eager to take on harder stuff. Within a year I was helping him in the garage by grabbing sheets of wood off the backside of a table saw as my dad made his first test cabinets.

Whether he intended the life lesson or simply wanted some help working in the yard, he set me on a path that day of taking on hard tasks, not giving up and knowing that with enough perseverance, you can accomplish difficult but meaningful things.

This was a very small facet of my father and I assure you he was a very complex person. Yes he was a musician and an engineer, but he was also a poet, a painter, a song writer, a good friend, an amazing father, a dutiful son and a loving husband. He drank deeply from the cup of life and I was lucky enough to be present through most of it.

Our family chooses to remember his life with happiness, laughter and joy because that was how we lived it with him. If you’re still reading this post, thank you. That means a great deal to me. And if you would like to participate in a small celebration of his life here in this post, I ask you to share a memory of him, a picture, a story or even a photo of a system you owned with a pair of his speakers in it. Whatever you like, it would mean a great deal to our family. Thank you all and God bless.

Damon, your tribute is such an honor to your father. And to yourself as well and it speaks volumes of you both. I'm sorry to hear of your loss. You know, there's always rumors and stories floating around this industry and I don't recall ever hearing a single negative about your father. That too speaks volumes.

I had the pleasure of meeting you and your dad in the lobby at RMAF 2011 and we chatted for a short time. My exhibiting room was across the hall from yours and one evening after hours you came over to listen to "Keith Don't Go". A cut I think you played many times during that show. :)

Your love and admiration of your dad is awesome and inspiring. Thanks so much for sharing and again, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.

Warmest regards,

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Damon, please let me add my condolences as well on the loss of your father. I met him once only briefly at an audio show. I wish I had been among those who had gotten to know him well. Your remembrance was moving, and telling of a good soul. Having had now the opportunity to have met and communicated with you on a number of recent occasions, I feel I can say that you carry the Von Schweikert name proudly forward from your father’s teaching and guidance.

Audiophilehi

Oct 23, 2017
My sincere condolences Damon. This is very sad news. I’ve been a loyal Von Schweikert speaker owner for many years. RIP Albert!

audiodoc1

Jul 12, 2020
Albert von Schweikert and I knew one another for over 15 years. Many interesting conversations about wide ranging topics history, politics, religion, medicine, family, music and audio. I learned from him and he from me. A gentleman and genuine person. I sent him CDs, DVDaudios and LPs I liked to hear his thoughts. I saw him in person once in 2017 for dinner when I met him after taking a major exam in San Diego and he drove me back to the airport. Always a pleasure to engage in a conversation. I am was very sorry to learn of his passing . His positive attitude and kindness lives on in our memories. Fortunately for us, his work in the science and art of audio reproduction lives on in our ears and listening rooms.

Respectfully, JC

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing