Albert von Schweikert March 13, 1945 - May 29, 2020

Damon Von Schweikert

WBF Technical Expert
Sep 15, 2016
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Albert von Schweikert 2020.jpg

It’s with deep regret that I share with all of you the passing of my father, Albert von Schweikert. He was dealing with a number of health related issues for the last few months but I can tell you with complete certainty that it never got him down. Even when we were separated by mandatory hospital quarantines from the outside world, he was always cheerful and happy on the phone. And when his time eventually came, it was swift and painless.

To say my father was my hero, role model, source of inspiration, knowledge and wisdom would be trite. He was all of those things and so much more to me and my family. So instead of going down that path, I’d like to share a very small but personal story that may give insight into how he touched my life in a very deep and meaningful way.

I was five years old when my dad gave me my first real chore. This wasn’t like picking up my toys or cleaning my room; he wanted me to help him with yard work. To me, this was real grown up stuff and to be frank I was very unsure about it. But he showed no concern and confidently led me outside.

We had this rubber tree that was taller than the roof of our house in Whittier California in 1975 which was impressive to a boy of my size even though our house was only one-story tall. I remember that you had to walk into the tree to get under the canopy but once inside there was a lot of room to move around. That said, the fallen leaves covered the ground and came up to my knees which again would only be impressive to a small child. He gave me a trash bag, asked me to pickup all the leaves and abruptly left me there alone. I spent a few minutes looking at all the leaves and realizing this job was way beyond my ability; I was utterly overwhelmed. I ran to my dad crying. He was concerned and asked what was wrong, I’m sure he was thinking I somehow hurt myself or was stung by a bee which wasn’t uncommon back when we had so many orange groves in So-Cal. But I told him the job was way too big for me, it simply wasn’t possible for me to take on such a humongous task.

What I remember most about that moment is how patient he was with me; he simply didn’t have the impatient urge to scolded me or raise his voice in frustration. If he did, he didn’t show it. He simply guided me back under the canopy and asked me to pick up one leaf. Once I did, he instructed me to put it in the bag which I did. He stayed there coaching me long enough until I could see the ground under my feet. Then he said, “See Damon, it’s just that simple. Don’t look at all the work ahead, only focus on picking up each leaf and putting it in the bag.”

Clearly for me, this was a profound and life altering epiphany. Needless to say I knocked that job out quickly and was eager to take on harder stuff. Within a year I was helping him in the garage by grabbing sheets of wood off the backside of a table saw as my dad made his first test cabinets.

Whether he intended the life lesson or simply wanted some help working in the yard, he set me on a path that day of taking on hard tasks, not giving up and knowing that with enough perseverance, you can accomplish difficult but meaningful things.

This was a very small facet of my father and I assure you he was a very complex person. Yes he was a musician and an engineer, but he was also a poet, a painter, a song writer, a good friend, an amazing father, a dutiful son and a loving husband. He drank deeply from the cup of life and I was lucky enough to be present through most of it.

Our family chooses to remember his life with happiness, laughter and joy because that was how we lived it with him. If you’re still reading this post, thank you. That means a great deal to me. And if you would like to participate in a small celebration of his life here in this post, I ask you to share a memory of him, a picture, a story or even a photo of a system you owned with a pair of his speakers in it. Whatever you like, it would mean a great deal to our family. Thank you all and God bless.

Last edited:

timztunz

Apr 23, 2018
Texas
Moving tribute and I’m very sorry for your loss.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
RIP - great sonic memories of the VR-4! Thank you!

Last edited:

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Condolences with your loss !

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Sorry to hear of your father’s passing and for your loss and thank you for sharing that wonderful story. It was a beautiful tribute to your father. May he Rest In Peace.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
2004, log before Skype, whattsap and viber, you could really rack up a long distance bill with Albert. At that time I was a prospective customer wanting to buy one of his speaker. Albert was an open book sharing details on design and parts but more than that he was simply a happy and enthusiastic person. Little did I know his enthusiasm would start our entry into the industry. Albert was tireless in his efforts to find ways to make things better. Always curious, his research went back in time always giving due credit to those that came before, eventually arriving at innovations not to be found in any text books. He was a mad scientist. To those of us part of the VSA family during the toughest time, the post flood VSA, he was OUR mad scientist. For all his lovable but sometimes aggravating quirks LOL Albert always listened. When there were things I didn't like about some products, he was never defensive. Instead, he would investigate the reasons behind these behaviors that could have easily been dismissed as nitpicking on my part, which looking back, I probably was. I would apologize for being his number one pain in the ass but he would just laugh and tell me he liked being pushed. It was never about sales, it was always about being better. We both understood that. It is no surprise then that what started as a business relationship quickly turned into a very strong friendship based on honesty and respect. The friendship expanded to include our families over time. Deepest sympathies from the Duavit, Roy and Diaz families to Linda and our sibs halfway across the world Damon and Alexis.

We will miss you dear friend. Thank you for sharing and passing on your knowledge. I promise to be as big a pain to Leif as I was to you :) To paraphrase Alan Sircom, you could make a great speaker out of matchsticks.

Heaven has a new rhythm guitarist. Play Albert, Play! We got this!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Whatever you like, it would mean a great deal to our family. Thank you all and God bless.

Damon a little side story to that day when we took the picture in front of the Ultra 11

At that time you and Leif had assumed all the duties of VSA and Albert was serving as a consultant and as I understand it had minimal if any input in the design and production of the Ultra 11

while you and Leif were setting everything up he came over to me and in the course of our discussion he smiled and said to me that I was in for a real treat in hearing the speaker He went on to tell me that in his opinion it was the best speaker ever designed by VSA and he was very proud of you guys.

At that time it became clear to me that in his mind the torch had been passed and he was loving the fact that VSA was in capable hands and will live on.

God bless, Damon

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Very sorry to hear of this and thoughts go out to Damon and family.

I once owned a pair of the original VR 4.5's with wood bases.

RIP Albert.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I met Albert at THE SHOW in Las Vegas in 2007 or 2008, I can't remember. This system was VR9SE's and Dartzeel, I was blow away but the playback of Tin Pan Alley by Stevie Ray Von. It was without a doubt the best system I'd ever heard at a show. Albert was spinning disks and obviously extremely happy with all the huge smiles in the room.

RIP.

Last edited by a moderator:

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
My sympathy for the tremendous loss of an outstanding designer and indeed a gentleman .

I recall first meeting Albert in the 80s(?) when he was demoing a speaker with John Furman.

Since then when I've been in the show lifts with Albert he's always courteous and forthcoming with knowledge to me.

He will be sadly missed -but as we know the dynasty appears to be stronger than ever--even in these troubling times.

BruceD

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
Rest in peace Albert. I learned from you. You made this world a better-sounding place and a better place, and it sounds like you were a wonderful and wise dad.

And thank you Damon for letting us know about that side of your dad.

varsharun

Apr 21, 2010
So sorry to hear this :( I used to have extensive conversations with Albert when the Unifields were introduced and he was a true gentleman.
My condolences Damon to you and your family.

RIP Albert.

-Arun

Violetmachan

Feb 25, 2012
Sad to hear that my favourite soundman is no more
I still love the way it makes beautiful noise...
Rest In peace Albert
sam

Attachments

• C1339F3D-3222-409F-ACA4-DADE071F818E.jpeg
    C1339F3D-3222-409F-ACA4-DADE071F818E.jpeg
    597.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
A great man and great legacy for you to carry on. Many prayers and blessings for the entire family and the company.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing